Has China Crashed?

The reason I ask is that I am getting conflicting reports about whether China's banking system has more bad loans than the US banking system has loans.

Their three big problems:

a) the copper bubble which was the result of a financing scheme

b) the Ghost Cities as you pointed out

c) black market loan sharks servicing small businesses

These are the result of bad economic planning on the part of the Chinese. All of their fiscal and monetary policy decisions are routinely scrutinized by morons in the West. They really aren't interested in neoliberalism, but continue to pursue oddball policies at times.

The biggest problem in the Chinese financial system are the off balance sheet pools of capital that have been financing construction, particularly residential real estate.

Last year, 42% of all homes purchased in China were second homes.
OK, how are the liquidations of housing in China to finance bubbles elsewhere in the world able to avoid a China bust? Got a SWAG anybody? Selling highly leveraged properties in China at anywhere near the rates needed to pay cash for properties in the US, Canada and Australia does not sound sustainable to me but it is purportedly been going on at ever faster rates since the meltdown. This I do not understand.

...look at the numbers. Their industrial output has increased 120%...
Let's understand that the numbers you presented came from this website run by the government of the People's Republic of China --those wonderful people that denied the SARS scandal, the river pig epidemic, and the AIDS contaminated blood banks. Don't get me wrong, the PROC's numbers on industrial output may actually be right, but that source clearly has an agenda and other sources with better track records differ.

The bottom line here is that if we're comparing China/U.S. output, then the best we can do is say China's output per capita is about a fourth of that of the U.S.
Those numbers are extrapolated from the United Nations System...
So they say, and while you may be willing to take their word for it I'll withhold judgement until I see the actual numbers (--more often than not these claims don't have numbers). fwiw, in serious business circles the UN doesn't have nearly the traction that we'd have with say, the FED or OECD, and while they got indexes they don't have monetary values --and that's the only way we're going to have any serious chance of comparing output.

Of course, none of that changes the fact that we're talking about industrial production from four times the population, and you're saying "China has overtaken the US". That's a conclusion that could only be accepted by someone who's not thinking, or someone who truly hates America.

Let's work together.

There's another tread on this board that talks about how the Swiss have a higher per capita income than the U.S. Sure, some moron could say "total disposable personal income in Switzerland is only a twentieth of that in the U.S." and ignore the fact that we're comparing 8 million people to 320 million. That would be stupid. Just like comparing total production from 1.3 billion and 0.3 billion.

Come on guy, you got to know that it's just pure stupid.

Warning ex-pat reading China GDP analysis by Jubak, Chanos or Arian may lead to severe MEGO and a need for immediate medical attention.

For the first time for over a century the US has been definitively replaced as the world’s largest industrial producer. Such a once in a century shift can literally only be described as historic.

The important point is, what is each country producing?

The more important point is who is producing the more easily and cheaply automated goods?

For the first time for over a century the US has been definitively replaced as the world’s largest industrial producer. Such a once in a century shift can literally only be described as historic.
The important point is, what is each country producing?
Exactly --and when we look at sales figures of the goods produced and then try and guess at exchange rates we get to the point where nobody really knows how China's production compares to America's.
The more important point is who is producing the more easily and cheaply automated goods?
If we're saying China and the U.S. produces somewhere about the same then we have to look at the fact that America does with 29 million factory workers what China has to do with 226 million factory workers. That would mean American worker productivity is eight times that of China.

It also means it's hard to keep from laughing when folks say "China has overtaken the U.S.".

The bottom line here is that if we're comparing China/U.S. output, then the best we can do is say China's output per capita is about a fourth of that of the U.S.

I wasn't talking about GDP per capita. China has simply surpassed the US as an industrial producer and the world's largest trading nation.

So they say, and while you may be willing to take their word for it I'll withhold judgement until I see the actual numbers (--more often than not these claims don't have numbers). fwiw, in serious business circles the UN doesn't have nearly the traction that we'd have with say, the FED or OECD, and while they got indexes they don't have monetary values --and that's the only way we're going to have any serious chance of comparing output.

Huh? So the UN's data isn't good enough? What about the Netherlands Bureau for Economic Research, EU Eurostat, the Japan Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, the US Federal Reserve? These numbers were calculated using multiple sources.

Of course, none of that changes the fact that we're talking about industrial production from four times the population, and you're saying "China has overtaken the US". That's a conclusion that could only be accepted by someone who's not thinking, or someone who truly hates America.

Let's work together.

Yeah, dude, I must hate America, that's it. :razz:

There's another tread on this board that talks about how the Swiss have a higher per capita income than the U.S. Sure, some moron could say "total disposable personal income in Switzerland is only a twentieth of that in the U.S." and ignore the fact that we're comparing 8 million people to 320 million. That would be stupid. Just like comparing total production from 1.3 billion and 0.3 billion.

Come on guy, you got to know that it's just pure stupid.

They don't, I think it's 4k-5k lower than the US. I know Qatar, Luxembourg, Norway, Singapore, and the UAE have higher per capita incomes than the US if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
Their three big problems:

a) the copper bubble which was the result of a financing scheme

b) the Ghost Cities as you pointed out

c) black market loan sharks servicing small businesses

These are the result of bad economic planning on the part of the Chinese. All of their fiscal and monetary policy decisions are routinely scrutinized by morons in the West. They really aren't interested in neoliberalism, but continue to pursue oddball policies at times.

The biggest problem in the Chinese financial system are the off balance sheet pools of capital that have been financing construction, particularly residential real estate.

Last year, 42% of all homes purchased in China were second homes.
OK, how are the liquidations of housing in China to finance bubbles elsewhere in the world able to avoid a China bust? Got a SWAG anybody? Selling highly leveraged properties in China at anywhere near the rates needed to pay cash for properties in the US, Canada and Australia does not sound sustainable to me but it is purportedly been going on at ever faster rates since the meltdown. This I do not understand.

China has done a decent amount in terms of regulation after the crash. They've made a real effort to curb speculation.

The PRC increased the minimum down payment for second homes from 50 to 60 percent, and encouraged local municipalities to set price caps and restrict the amount of homes which can be owned by their residents.

For example, in Beijing, residents can't purchase more than two homes, and people who aren't legal residents simply can't purchase property (unless they've paid taxes for like 5 or 6 years). Shanghai, Shenzen, and the other major cities have similar laws in place, including various taxes.

Last edited:
Just for chuckles and grins, I went to the gold standard for international economic comparisons, the CIA. The figures were for 2012 which was not a good year for the industrial world. China had an increase Y-O-Y in industrial production of 7.9%. For comparison, the United States came in at a growth of 3.2%, the same as Norway. Russia was at 3.1%. India was at 1.2% growth and Brazil at -0.8%. Virtually all European nations had negative industrial growth, including Germany (-0.2%), the UK (-4.0%), Spain (-3.6%), and France (-1.0%). The EU as a whole came in at -1.8%.

So China is doing relatively well, as is the US. Europe not so good. For what it means, consult your favorite pundit or the entrails of a sheep.

Chinese industrial growth has been dependent primarily on U.S. consumer markets. As the U.S. middle class is disappearing, there'll be no more demand for Chinese goods.

The only hope China has is to drastically increase workers pay to create domestic demand for goods. This will start to end foreign investment in China as the cost of labor will no longer be attractive.

Investors will look to develop other third world countries that have low cost of labor.

Chinese industrial growth has been dependent primarily on U.S. consumer markets. As the U.S. middle class is disappearing, there'll be no more demand for Chinese goods.

The only hope China has is to drastically increase workers pay to create domestic demand for goods. This will start to end foreign investment in China as the cost of labor will no longer be attractive.

Investors will look to develop other third world countries that have low cost of labor.

Vietnam Nam.

...China had an increase Y-O-Y in industrial production of 7.9%. For comparison, the United States came in at a growth of 3.2%... ...So China is doing relatively well...
The only thing you can tell is that it's doing better than last year --that's all Y-O-Y means. Maybe this year was good & last year was just OK, or maybe this year was bad and last year was really bad.

fwiw, Isreal's Y-O-Y industrial production change was 11.8%. Are we saying Isreal's factories are more powerful than China's?

China is going to hit the wall. No common language, a mix of cultures which can easily be at odds with one another, a communist political system that found itself in the midst of a capitalist revolution that rode the wave but had little idea of what it was doing, growing debt, no real controls (ie: shadow banking), increasingly unable to maintain its position as a low cost manufacturer, inflation and the growing expectations of Chinese citizens that can't be met.

I really like China but it is screwed.

...China had an increase Y-O-Y in industrial production of 7.9%. For comparison, the United States came in at a growth of 3.2%... ...So China is doing relatively well...
The only thing you can tell is that it's doing better than last year --that's all Y-O-Y means. Maybe this year was good & last year was just OK, or maybe this year was bad and last year was really bad.

fwiw, Isreal's Y-O-Y industrial production change was 11.8%. Are we saying Isreal's factories are more powerful than China's?
On a productivity basis I would suspect so. By the way this is a question not an additional argument: I know Alibaba tried and failed to get listed in the US and the suspected reason was that the Chinese government would not permit non-Chinese auditors to verify the accounting data. Is there any independently verified economic data on China that could act as a check figure on published data?

China is going to hit the wall. No common language, a mix of cultures which can easily be at odds with one another, a communist political system that found itself in the midst of a capitalist revolution that rode the wave but had little idea of what it was doing, growing debt, no real controls (ie: shadow banking), increasingly unable to maintain its position as a low cost manufacturer, inflation and the growing expectations of Chinese citizens that can't be met.

Given the example of the levitating JGB over the past 20 years I would not try going short. Afterall Gordan Chang's "The Coming Collapse of China" was published in 2001 and while I have seen confirmations of his trendlines, I have not seen refutations of his data on Potemkin real estate projects, bad debts from the 1980s and perhaps earlier being treated as performing assets and State Owned Enterprises acting as economic blackholes.

Given the example of the levitating JGB over the past 20 years I would not try going short. Afterall Gordan Chang's "The Coming Collapse of China" was published in 2001 and while I have seen confirmations of his trendlines, I have not seen refutations of his data on Potemkin real estate projects, bad debts from the 1980s and perhaps earlier being treated as performing assets and State Owned Enterprises acting as economic blackholes.

The scale of the problem is very different from what was published in 2001. The rise in debt from just these past five years is unsustainable by any measure. The Chinese know this and reform is likely to fail. Corruption runs deep making real change less likely. This was published 3 days ago:

“"Most people are aware we've had a credit boom in China but they don't know the scale. At the beginning of all of this in 2008, the Chinese banking sector was roughly $10 trillion in size. Right now it's in the order of $24 to $25 trillion.”

“"That incremental increase of $14 to $15 trillion is the equivalent of the entire size of the US commercial banking sector, which took more than a century to build. So that means China will have replicated the entire US system in the span of half a decade."”

“But what makes much of the spending and investment toxic is the way it was financed: there has been an explosion of lending. China's debts as a share of GDP have been rising at a very rapid rate of around 15% of GDP, or national output, annually and have increased since 2008 from around 125% of GDP to 200%.”

“But if lending continues at breakneck pace, then a crash becomes inevitable.”

“But as yet the reforms are at a very early stage of implementation, and the lending boom goes on. What is more, the current building splurge so enriches many thousands of communist officials, from a system of institutionalised kickbacks, that there are concerns about the ability of the central government to force the changes through.”

BBC News - Will China shake the world again?

The official debt is 300% of GDP without counting a suspected 200% of off the books mezzanine debt and 100+% of provincial debt? I do hope you are yanking my chain or the BBC screwed up.

The official debt is 300% of GDP without counting a suspected 200% of off the books mezzanine debt and 100+% of provincial debt? I do hope you are yanking my chain or the BBC screwed up.

The British are known for their reserve and tendency to understate the most tragic of situations, although I believe he chose to define the problem in a way that lent itself to his projection. The problem with shadow banking alone seems to be enough to wipe out the savings of most Chinese, so the culmulative effect of these numerous excesses promises a bad end. I believe sooner rather than later.

Forum List

Back