Harry Potter Is Gay

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
Oct 6, 2005 — LONDON (Reuters) - A British cleric and top-selling author of children's books was thrown out of a school where he said Harry Potter was "gay" during a talk to 12-year-olds.

Reverend Graham Taylor, who penned the novel "Shadowmancer" which, like the tales of the famous boy wizard created by J.K. Rowling, centers on witchcraft and battling evil, got his marching orders after teachers accused him of homophobia.

"As for Harry Potter, well, he's not the only gay in the village," Taylor told children at Penair School in Truro, southwest England, referring to a catchphrase from the popular British comedy TV show "Little Britain."

He also said villains in Rowling's blockbuster series were "wimps" and called TV "crap" compared to books.

Teachers stopped Taylor's talk and asked him to leave.

"We were very disappointed to have to curtail a visit from Mr Taylor," the school said in a statement on Thursday.

Taylor, whose book topped the British book charts for 15 weeks with the film rights also sold for 2.25 million pounds, was unrepentant and accused staff of censorship.

"It was a joke; a joke from 'Little Britain' that the children would know," Taylor was quoted by newspapers as saying.

"I didn't set out to offend. I'm a priest and I'm very careful about not offending people."

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=1188433

---

I would hate to see what he would say if he wanted to offend someone.

"As for Harry Potter, well, he's not the only gay in the village," Taylor told children at Penair School in Truro, southwest England, referring to a catchphrase from the popular British comedy TV show "Little Britain."

I always thought that Little Britain was kind of subversive and weird and sort of edgy. I've only seen like fifteen minutes of it, but that was the impression I got. This seems like a weird show for a priest to quote while talking to children. Maybe someone else could clue me in on Little Britain a little more, the impression I got was that it was like a British Kids in the Hall.

While I don't think what he said was horrible, I do kind of think it's improper talk for 12-year-olds.

Uh Oh! Beware the wrath of FuzzyKitten!!!!
;)

and called TV "crap" compared to books.
Have to agree with the guy on this, but he sounds like a wacko otherwise. Maybe jealous of his competition (Rowling)?

Speaking to a class of preteens about the gayness of a fictional character is offensive, yes.

What if he meant it in the way my friends and I called each other gay when we were little kids? We certainly weren't saying they had sex with other males. It meant sissy, weak, cry-baby, spoilsport, and so forth.

We were kids. We didn't even conceive of the word gay as sexual.

Perhaps the real problem has something to do with the fact that kids today do understand the sexuality associated with the word 'gay' as adults use it....

This is a silly argument...this is a fictional character...not real...a cartoon character is only the reflection of the artist and writer...maybe y'all should address this comment to the writer! :eek:

mom4 said:
Uh Oh! Beware the wrath of FuzzyKitten!!!!
;)

Thanks for remembering me. I was wondering how many posts it would take for my name to pop up. :thup:

I am choosing to stay out of this one (other than this post) because I believe everyone here who knows me, knows how I feel about the issue.

My avatar & sig lines should give any n00b an idea.

BTW...my avatar is Mad-Eye Moody in the new movie, coming out 11/18. Don't know about you, but that eye just creeps me out!

What if he meant it in the way my friends and I called each other gay when we were little kids? We certainly weren't saying they had sex with other males. It meant sissy, weak, cry-baby, spoilsport, and so forth.

I thought about that, too. But this guy should really know better. There's a difference between a bunch of guys sitting around a dorm calling each other 'gay' and a grown-ass man, who is not only an author but a reverend, using it.

Most of the kids probably did know what 'gay' means. But, what if they didn't? Would you be happy if your kid came home and said "a man at school said Harry Potter was gay. What's "gay" mean?" I'm not necessarily saying it was unbelievably offensive, it was just inappropriate.

The first time I heard this, the first thing that popped into my mind was Harry Potter in the wand shop in the first movie/book where the guy says that his particular wand was made for Harry, or something to that effect. I just get this image of Harry looking back at him and saying in a very gay twang, "Uh, but it doesn't match my shoes."

Forum List

Back