Happiness is the absence of misery

Happiness and health go together hand-in-glove. Hard to be unhappy if you feel great. :)
This reminds me of that embarrassing tape Gary Delabate from the Howard Stern made to get his ex girlfriend back in the day. He was rambling on how when he was with her his professional life was a 3 but his personal life was a 9. Now his professional life is a 9 but his personal life is a 3.

The woman he sent the tape to kept it. Years later when he's now famous on the show, and also married, this ex sends the tape in to the show for them to watch. It becomes an instant classic. So embarrassing. And funny.

So you can be happy with work but your personal life can suck. Or visa versa. One things for sure, health is important. If you aren't healthy no job or woman is going to make you happy.

My nephews go to the most expensive private schools and most of their friends are going off to college. You don't pay all that money for private schools K-12 and have your kid not go to college to become something. In fact most of those kids already have their college paid for.

And yes, most of them will graduate and become your bosses. I mean the kids who didn't go to college.

Now I do understand not everyone needs to go to college but by deciding you are not going to college, you are deciding to settle. Or make the path to success harder for yourself. And the chances of you becoming successful are lower if you don't have a degree.

Are there Americans who got college degrees and never put them to use? Sure. But they are the exception not the norm.

And are there people who don't have a degree who are more successful than me? Sure. The President of my company doesn't have a degree. Rare though right?

But I just love people who are negative towards college. College is still worth $1 million dollars you know. On average that's what college kids make more than people who didn't graduate college. Over 30 years they will make $1 million more. What is that a year $30K? On average a college grad makes $30K more a year than someone who doesn't.

And that makes me happy.
Many are happy as a clam without college. It just depends on what one likes to do. I enjoy working, didn't like school, so I 'settled'. I do enjoy learning new skills, but formal education was boring to me.

I still make a lot of money but that's because I live a frugal lifestyle and have saved a lot. The things I enjoy don't cost much.

Last edited:
College Means Buying a Job That Belongs to Someone With More Talent But Less Money
I'll give you this. It's a scam. Unless you are going to go into something that requires a very specific degree like

Engineer, teacher, Scientist, Doctor. Even Construction management. At least it's specific.

I wanted a business degree. But what exactly does that qualify me to do? I wanted to go into sales. None of those classes taught me real world sales experience. But I guess corporations want you to take marketing, finance, statistics, accounting, etc. classes if they are going to hire you.

I think sales people should be able to go to sales training, not college, and get hired. The company will teach you the product.

I do believe my degree has open doors for me but I also think it's bullshit and every company I've ever worked for had employees who did not go through college. Makes me feel like I wasted my time.

But I was happy when I got that degree. Miserable when it was year 6 and I still haven't graduated. LOL.

Many are happy as a clam without college. It just depends on what one likes to do. I enjoy working, didn't like school, so I 'settled'. I do enjoy learning new skills, but formal education was boring to me.
I HATE school. I often wonder what I would have done had I not gone to college. I think I would have sold cars, furnature, carpeting until I eventually found a good corporate gig that pays a decent salary.

That's the thing a college degree gets you. I feel at least. Sure I could make more money selling cars but I better sell a lot of cars and I'll be in that dealership for 60 hours a week. Right now I get a big fat salary, healthcare and commission. The salary I get, not too many non college grads get that kind of salary plus commission.

I've had jobs that don't require college and I made $30K give or take. Then I've had professional jobs in corporate America where I make $100,000. Boy is my life a lot better when I make more money.

But the funny thing is, I seemed to pay my bills on time when I only made $30K. I just didn't save anything.

I think that's probably the biggest benefit to having a degree. Jobs that require a degree usually come with a 401K match. People without degrees often times wish they worked for a company that had a 401K, or health insurance.

Put this into context for me in my personal situation. I'm on my boat or up north in the woods. The temperature is perfect. I'm healthy. No worries on my mind. This is when I feel happy.

What does rising above have anything to do with what I'm doing or me being happy?
It's easy to feel happy when things are great. The trick is to decide to be positive when things are shitty.

I HATE school. I often wonder what I would have done had I not gone to college. I think I would have sold cars, furnature, carpeting until I eventually found a good corporate gig that pays a decent salary.

That's the thing a college degree gets you. I feel at least. Sure I could make more money selling cars but I better sell a lot of cars and I'll be in that dealership for 60 hours a week. Right now I get a big fat salary, healthcare and commission. The salary I get, not too many non college grads get that kind of salary plus commission.

I've had jobs that don't require college and I made $30K give or take. Then I've had professional jobs in corporate America where I make $100,000. Boy is my life a lot better when I make more money.

But the funny thing is, I seemed to pay my bills on time when I only made $30K. I just didn't save anything.

I think that's probably the biggest benefit to having a degree. Jobs that require a degree usually come with a 401K match. People without degrees often times wish they worked for a company that had a 401K, or health insurance.
When you consider the average IQ is pretty low there are lots of people that will have to settle for low paying jobs.

It's easy to feel happy when things are great. The trick is to decide to be positive when things are shitty.
I went through a health scare last summer. For a minute I thought maybe I was dying. But the doctors told me what the treatments would be and that I would be okay so I believed them. A lot of people would not have been able to be happy but as long as I thought I would eventually be fine, and as long as I wasn't suffering in pain, I remained happy.

Even when I wasn't sure what was going to happen, I remember worrying some but I can tell you that my dog helped me through it. It's hard to look at him and not smile. So again, I wasn't miserable which made it possible to be happy.

Everyone that knew was amazed what a trooper I was going through it all. They kept asking, "how you doing, are you okay?" and I answered them honestly. I was fine.

So I wasn't miserable. I wasn't suffering. If I was suffering I know I wouldn't have been happy. I've had a tooth ache or stomach ache or head ache. There is no being happy when you are miserable.

I went through a health scare last summer. For a minute I thought maybe I was dying. But the doctors told me what the treatments would be and that I would be okay so I believed them. A lot of people would not have been able to be happy but as long as I thought I would eventually be fine, and as long as I wasn't suffering in pain, I remained happy.

Even when I wasn't sure what was going to happen, I remember worrying some but I can tell you that my dog helped me through it. It's hard to look at him and not smile. So again, I wasn't miserable which made it possible to be happy.

Everyone that knew was amazed what a trooper I was going through it all. They kept asking, "how you doing, are you okay?" and I answered them honestly. I was fine.

So I wasn't miserable. I wasn't suffering. If I was suffering I know I wouldn't have been happy. I've had a tooth ache or stomach ache or head ache. There is no being happy when you are miserable.
I have the same colon cancer that killed my mom. They found it because I was nearly dead from a pelvic infection.. After we finally got the treatments going I perked right up and went back to work feeling fine. Making forward progress on the problem made all the difference.

When you consider the average IQ is pretty low there are lots of people that will have to settle for low paying jobs.

I always tell people my brother wasn't the hardest worker when we were growing up nor did he have the best grades. He went to community college and then got accepted to MSU. His first year he struggled because public schools don't prepare you for how hard MSU is. How to study with a full load. The counselor told him maybe MSU wasn't for him. That was all it took. He learned how to study and put in overtime. Started getting good grades. When he graduated, he decided to get a masters. We made fun of him. Called him a career student. Long story short, this average intelligence guy is now a VP of HR for a fortune 500. Can't do that without college

Today he has a condo in Florida, home in Greece, cottage up north on 65 acres and his main house. 4 homes. He makes around $1 million dollars a year. Granted, he got lucky, but even if he didn't hit the work lotto (as he calls it), he would have still made over $100K even if all he did was get his bachelor degree.

So, you tell me what my brother would be doing today if he didn't go to college.

I have the same colon cancer that killed my mom. They found it because I was nearly dead from a pelvic infection.. After we finally got the treatments going I perked right up and went back to work feeling fine. Making forward progress on the problem made all the difference.

They found mine because I got pancreatitis from drinking too much.

Covid fucked me. Even though I'm doing great, if it weren't for Covid I would have gotten my colonoscopy a year sooner. Maybe I wouldn't have had to do 40 treatments if they caught it earlier.

Anyways, it all worked out.

The biggest stress for me was my dog and my dad. I worried about them if something happened to me. Everyone else will be fine but not those two.

Glad you are doing better.

They found mine because I got pancreatitis from drinking too much.

Covid fucked me. Even though I'm doing great, if it weren't for Covid I would have gotten my colonoscopy a year sooner. Maybe I wouldn't have had to do 40 treatments if they caught it earlier.

Anyways, it all worked out.

The biggest stress for me was my dog and my dad. I worried about them if something happened to me. Everyone else will be fine but not those two.

Glad you are doing better.
Not out of the woods yet. Taking radiation right now to shrink a tumor the doctor said was too big to remove! I was months into this before they finally explained why they didn't just cut it out. It was a grapefruit when they found it. They want it down to a tangerine.

I always tell people my brother wasn't the hardest worker when we were growing up nor did he have the best grades. He went to community college and then got accepted to MSU. His first year he struggled because public schools don't prepare you for how hard MSU is. How to study with a full load. The counselor told him maybe MSU wasn't for him. That was all it took. He learned how to study and put in overtime. Started getting good grades. When he graduated, he decided to get a masters. We made fun of him. Called him a career student. Long story short, this average intelligence guy is now a VP of HR for a fortune 500. Can't do that without college

Today he has a condo in Florida, home in Greece, cottage up north on 65 acres and his main house. 4 homes. He makes around $1 million dollars a year. Granted, he got lucky, but even if he didn't hit the work lotto (as he calls it), he would have still made over $100K even if all he did was get his bachelor degree.

So, you tell me what my brother would be doing today if he didn't go to college.
Sounds like an exceptional fellow.

You can have it all,
if you go to college.
Sign here kid.

Last edited:
Not out of the woods yet. Taking radiation right now to shrink a tumor the doctor said was too big to remove! I was months into this before they finally explained why they didn't just cut it out. It was a grapefruit when they found it. They want it down to a tangerine.
They had me do 40 radiations instead of surgery to remove. They killed it. I’ve had two tests since first one was .02 the last one was .01. They are pleased. So we just have to get tested every once in awhile and if it comes back, a few more radiations. Prostate.

I’ll agree with you republicans a little. Those people are idiots. Or they want what they can’t afford. How about community college first? Live at home first two years. How about maybe take 8 years to get it? Why do they have to finish in 4?

I had friends who took summer classes. I couldn’t afford to do that. In the summer I went home to work for 3 months. Probably saved $3000 and college cost $5000 back then. My dad paid the other $2000.

I agree anyone who spent $80,000 to get a history major and no plan on what job they were going to get after school, is an idiot. But even those degrees open doors. The problem is those people don5 want to do those jobs. Or don’t have a degree that’s relevant so getting that first job can be difficult. What jobs is a history major applying for?

I worked with a history major. UofM. He got a job in sales. Then went to work for little Cesar franchise. Now he’s a franchise owner. It’s weird how a lot of us college grads got our good paying jobs. Getting a degree might not be necessary but it opens doors. And it’s better than selling cars. But selling cars looks good on a resume too.

And look at my brother. $1 million a year. I don’t think he would have ever achieved that without a masters from a top school. My boss is the president of my company but we’re small. Not a Fortune 500. So he probably makes $200,000 a year not Fortune 500 money. I wonder how many Fortune 500 vps have college degrees.

I’ll agree with you republicans a little. Those people are idiots. Or they want what they can’t afford. How about community college first? Live at home first two years. How about maybe take 8 years to get it? Why do they have to finish in 4?

I had friends who took summer classes. I couldn’t afford to do that. In the summer I went home to work for 3 months. Probably saved $3000 and college cost $5000 back then. My dad paid the other $2000.

I agree anyone who spent $80,000 to get a history major and no plan on what job they were going to get after school, is an idiot. But even those degrees open doors. The problem is those people don5 want to do those jobs. Or don’t have a degree that’s relevant so getting that first job can be difficult. What jobs is a history major applying for?

I worked with a history major. UofM. He got a job in sales. Then went to work for little Cesar franchise. Now he’s a franchise owner. It’s weird how a lot of us college grads got our good paying jobs. Getting a degree might not be necessary but it opens doors. And it’s better than selling cars. But selling cars looks good on a resume too.

And look at my brother. $1 million a year. I don’t think he would have ever achieved that without a masters from a top school. My boss is the president of my company but we’re small. Not a Fortune 500. So he probably makes $200,000 a year not Fortune 500 money. I wonder how many Fortune 500 vps have college degrees.
I don't make that much money (about $120,000/yr. from all sources) but I compare well with others in my age group regardless of education. I have more than I'll ever spend as well (my kids will get most of it).

I heard this quote on Alone. I agree. The contestants are happy until the snow comes. Suddenly they are miserable.

This site disagrees

Happiness is not the absence of suffering; it’s the ability to rebound from it. And happiness is not the same as joy or ecstasy; happiness includes contentment, well-being, and the emotional flexibility to experience a full range of emotions.

But I disagree. As long as I'm not suffering in some way, I'm happy.
Complicated topic.
But
Your desire to be free of suffering is, in itself, suffering.

Misery is what happiness rests upon.

Happiness is what misery lurks beneath.

Who knows where it ends?

Is there nothing correct?

Correct becomes defect.

Good becomes ominous.

People's delusions have certainly lasted long.

I don't make that much money (about $120,000/yr. from all sources) but I compare well with others in my age group regardless of education. I have more than I'll ever spend as well (my kids will get most of it).
In the U.S. 18% of individuals earn more than $100,000

Did you know this?

Forum List

Back