Dumb AND Evil

buttercup

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2010
Is there a correlation between intelligence and morality?

I'm open to being convinced that there is... but as of now, I would say I don't think so.

I’ve known people who are very intelligent, but at the same time have terrible qualities like selfishness, mean-spiritedness, dishonesty, etc.

And I've known many people of average intelligence who have amazing qualities like kindness, generosity, honesty, etc.

I think it boils down to the fact that intelligence and wisdom are two different things. People can be intelligent and unwise. To me, wisdom is infinitely more important.

What’s really sad is when someone is both dumb AND evil. I can think of some people like that. (no names mentioned.) ;)

But anyway, getting back to the main question here, would you agree that there’s no actual correlation between intelligence and morality/ethics? If you disagree, please change my mind.

Intelligence,.spiritual beliefs, empathy, humillity, inquisitive nature, principle above personal benefit. These traits,.among others, contribute to moral men and a healthy society. The immoral who abuse their station in life who are a major drag on society will meet their fate in due time. It is how the universe works.

Last edited:

I think it boils down to the fact that intelligence and wisdom are two different things. People can be intelligent and unwise. To me, wisdom is infinitely more important.
No, intelligence and wisdom aren't two different things, and that wasn't the question in any case. You've lost your train of thought. See above to get it back.

To the question: There is some evidence that there is a connection between intelligence and morals, as we all should be aware. But there is also an inverse connection in that some highly intelligent people are morally bankrupt.

Why start a discussion before at least researching the question first.

I think there's a hint in the fact that you immediately lost your train of thought and thus no real interest.

Impress somebody?

Intelligence,.spiritual beliefs, empathy, humillity, inquisitive nature, principle above personal benefit. These traits,.among others, contribute to moral men and a healthy society. The immoral who abuse their station in life who are a major drag on society will meet their fate in due time. It is how the universe works.

I agree. And I'm glad you brought up a healthy society, because I think what we see happening in the US today is a society becoming increasingly sick. Why, because of a growing lack of wisdom and goodness. We're losing our republic for that reason. (Well, that's probably not the only reason, but one of the main reasons.)

That reminds me of a famous quote. I'm paraphrasing, but it goes something like "America is great because America is good. When America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great."

I'm open to being convinced that there is... but as of now, I would say I don't think so.

I’ve known people who are very intelligent, but at the same time have terrible qualities like selfishness, mean-spiritedness, dishonesty, etc.

And I've known many people of average intelligence who have amazing qualities like kindness, generosity, honesty, etc.

What’s really sad is when someone is both dumb AND evil. I can think of some people like that. (no names mentioned.) ;)

But anyway, getting back to the main question here, would you agree that there’s no actual correlation between intelligence and morality/ethics? If you disagree, please change my mind.
Nope. No correlation to morality, but a higher correlation to getting away with acting upon their immorality or lack of character for longer. Nixon and both the of the Clintons were intelligent, but lacking in character and morality/ethics. Dumb asses get caught easier and more often. Look at Trump.

I agree. And I'm glad you brought up a healthy society, because I think what we see happening in the US today is a society becoming increasingly sick. Why, because of a growing lack of wisdom and goodness. We're losing our republic for that reason. (Well, that's probably not the only reason, but one of the main reasons.)

That reminds me of a famous quote. I'm paraphrasing, but it goes something like "America is great because America is good. When America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great."
America should look to other nations that are flailing and remind themselves, "we cannot become like them". The West depends on the U.S succeeding.

I've known plenty of people who were certified REALLY intelligent and at the same time soulless and evil.

Nope. No correlation to morality, but a higher correlation to getting away with acting upon their immorality or lack of character for longer. Nixon and both the of the Clintons were intelligent, but lacking in character and morality/ethics. Dumb asses get caught easier and more often. Look at Trump.
Maybe try to get her train of thought back for her first. She's gone off on comparing intelligence and wisdom, when the lead in to the topic was intelligence/morality.

America should look to other nations that are flailing and remind themselves, "we cannot become like them". The West depends on the U.S succeeding.
America should look to other nations that are failing, for guidance??

You're trying to bring your personal issues into a discussion again!
Just get to the point and tell us that you think Canada is failing.
Or at least failing you?

I agree for the most part, but since you brought up the Clintons... in their case, I think the reason they got away with everything also has to do with being friends with the 'right' people in high places. They seem to be protected, since they're part of "the club." (The club that George Carlin spoke about... but I digress. lol)

Intelligence is the ability to obtain, retain and productively use information.
Wisdom is the ability to distinguish between that which is morally right and that which is morally wrong and the strength of character to do that which is right and avoid doing that which is wrong. These are two very different things.

No, intelligence and wisdom aren't two different things, and that wasn't the question in any case. You've lost your train of thought. See above to get it back.

Yes they are. See the post right above this one. Unless you're going by a different definition of wisdom.

America should look to other nations that are failing, for guidance??

You're trying to bring your personal issues into a discussion again!
Just get to the point and tell us that you think Canada is failing.
Or at least failing you?
You know damned well why we are failing. Those in the Security Industrial Complex who destroyed our young for their pleasure are known, on this planet and the next life.

You mean, 'if you agree, please change my mind'.

Speaking of intelligence.

And where are we so far on intelligence vs. wisdom?

Yes they are. See the post right above this one. Unless you're going by a different definition of wisdom.
No, not until you decide on what your topic is going to be.

It seems that everybody but you has decided to go with the topic of intelligence and morals not being compatible.

According to the world's dictionaries, Wisdom can be used in place of Intelligence in most cases.

Sorry, I'm finished here. I really only wanted to help but now it's completely off track.

The gradual erosion of virtue in society is perhaps the single most dangerous, consistent, yet unrecognized threat to the whole of Individual liberty in America today.

So far as the original question, I likely have some thoughts on it. The question is do I feel like blowing the keystrokes on sharing them. At the moment? Not really. I don't place forth much effort in these burning questions any more. Not on here anyway. Over the course of my time here I've leaned toward just accepting the effort to be a waste of my time.

Last edited:
No, not until you decide on what your topic is going to be.

It seems that everybody but you has decided to go with the topic of intelligence and morals not being compatible.

According to the world's dictionaries, Wisdom can be used in place of Intelligence in most cases.

Sorry, I'm finished here. I really only wanted to help but now it's completely off track.

Sorry, duck, and I'm gona say this as respectfully as I can and try to be short and concise. You lack the heritage to understand the relevance of the comparison as it relates to traditional Americanism. Dictionary definitions won't cut it. Such dialogue should always be premised upon principles. The Red Coat types try that dictionary definition stuff a lot around here, to try to steer dialogue toward their more libertine/authoritarian worldview, I've noticed.

Last edited:
The gradual erosion of virtue in society is perhapse the single most gangerous, consistent, yet unrecognozed threat to the whole of Individual liberty in America today.

So far as the original question, I likely have some thoughts on it. The question is do I feel like blowing the keystrokes on sharing them. At the moment? Not really. I don't place forth much effort in these burning questions any more. Not on here anyway. Over the course of my time time here I've leaned toward realizing the effort to be just a waste of my time.
I can at least say mr. Natural, that your attempt at flowery prose was worth a giggle!

Forum List

Back