Halliburton reportedly agrees to pay Nigeria $250 million to drop bribery charges

You ARE implying they're guilty, junior...

Here are YOUR words from the OP:

"No legal basis for the charges" but here, have a $250 million bribe to drop the bribery case. :lol:

Spin it all you want, but you implied guilt...

Because on the surface, that's exactly how it is. It isn't an issue of implied guilt, I just find it ironic that they were giving $250 million bribe to drop a bribery case.

And doctors who settle malpractice suits are all guilty.

And corporations that are harassed by Jesse Jackson until they make a donation are all guilty.

And if a meter maid give you a bogus parking ticket but you decide it is too much trouble to go to court to protest it so you just pay it so your car registration isn't screwed then you are guilty.

Then why are you so gleefully jumping upon this story and smearing Cheney?

Smearing Cheney? Odd, outside of the Nigerian email scam joke, when have I even mentioned Cheney in this thread? I posted the article that mentioned him, yes. However, the title that I gave this story on USMB and my comments otherwise than previously mentioned have no mention of Cheney.

Try again.

You should reread your posts, bub.

My gawd you are particularly nasty and disingenuous twerp.

you keep saying "it doesn't mean they're innocent"..

Yes. If we're using the American court system, they would be innocent until proven guilty. However, just because the Nigeria Government is corrupt does not automatically mean that Haliburton is innocent here.

There's a difference between saying they're guilty (which I'm not) and that they're not automatically innocent because of a certain point (the Nigeria Government being corrupt).

Apparently, we're not going to find out if Haliburton is guilty....But I do believe it was all contrived by Nigeria. SOP from countries in this area of the world.
I just don't understand why you made this the hill to make your stand on....weak at best, Modbert?

And corporations that are harassed by Jesse Jackson until they make a donation are all guilty.

And if a meter maid give you a bogus parking ticket but you decide it is too much trouble to go to court to protest it so you just pay it so your car registration isn't screwed then you are guilty.

Both you and House are reading too much into my original comment. I guess I'm the only one of the three of us seeing the irony in Haliburton giving a $250 million bribe to drop a bribery case.

I have never said that Haliburton is guilty in this thread.

you keep saying "it doesn't mean they're innocent"..

Yes. If we're using the American court system, they would be innocent until proven guilty. However, just because the Nigeria Government is corrupt does not automatically mean that Haliburton is innocent here.

There's a difference between saying they're guilty (which I'm not) and that they're not automatically innocent because of a certain point (the Nigeria Government being corrupt).

Apparently, we're not going to find out if Haliburton is guilty....But I do believe it was all contrived by Nigeria. SOP from countries in this area of the world.
I just don't understand why you made this the hill to make your stand on....weak at best, Modbert?

because cheney was connected to halliburton.

Both you and House are reading too much into my original comment. I guess I'm the only one of the three of us seeing the irony in Haliburton giving a $250 million bribe to drop a bribery case.

And now we have the completely transparent dissembling.

Sorry bub, only the truly naive and demented would accept this feeble rationalization - although I do believe you post garbage you do not fully understand.

There IS irony in the paying of such a massive sum to "settle" a criminal prosecution when the crime alleged is bribery.

On the other hand, it looked very much like you were taking your shot at Vice President Cheney and Halliburton, too.

Halliburton reportedly agrees to pay Nigeria $250 million to drop bribery charges against Cheney, firm | Raw Story

Halliburton reportedly agrees to pay Nigeria $250 million to drop bribery charges against Cheney, firm

The massive industrial conglomerate Halliburton has reportedly offered to pay $250 million to settle charges against its former chief executive, ex-Vice President Dick Cheney, in a multi-million dollar bribery case.

In the United States, KBR has already admitted bribing Nigerian officials. In February 2009, the company agreed to pay a $402 million fine. Halliburton itself paid $177 million to settle allegations paid to the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), but didn't admit wrongdoing. Still, despite the settlements, Halliburton's spokeswoman said “there is no legal basis for the charges” in a statement Dec. 8.

Nigeria's Economic and Financial Crimes Commission spokesman Femi Babafemi told Reuters the company had offered to pay up to $250 million.

"They have made offers of fines to be paid in penalties. They offered to pay $120 million in addition to the repatriation of $130 million trapped in Switzerland," Babafemi said.

"No legal basis for the charges" but here, have a $250 million bribe to drop the bribery case. :lol:

you claim you didn't say they were guilty, yet you laugh at their claim there is no legal basis for the charge

this is why most don't take you seriously...you split hairs and always play the partisan card, yet claim you're non partisan....if you truly didn't intend to say they are guilty, you wouldn't have laughed

and in the US...its "presumed" innocent, not innocent until guilty

No. you're smarter than that.

Like I said, I didn't focus on Cheney first in this thread outside of the Nigerian Scam email joke. RGS was the first one to do so, first accusing me of making another thread on this subject which I didn't do. Cheney's name wasn't mentioned again until Boedicca brought it up.

I just found it ironic that Haliburton is willing to bribe Nigeria $250 million in order to drop a bribery case. Am I the only one seeing the irony in that?

you claim you didn't say they were guilty, yet you laugh at their claim there is no legal basis for the charge

this is why most don't take you seriously...you split hairs and always play the partisan card, yet claim you're non partisan....if you truly didn't intend to say they are guilty, you wouldn't have laughed

Or y'know, laughing at the irony. Which is the whole reason why I posted this in the first place.

No. you're smarter than that.

Like I said, I didn't focus on Cheney first in this thread outside of the Nigerian Scam email joke. RGS was the first one to do so, first accusing me of making another thread on this subject which I didn't do. Cheney's name wasn't mentioned again until Boedicca brought it up.

I just found it ironic that Haliburton is willing to bribe Nigeria $250 million in order to drop a bribery case. Am I the only one seeing the irony in that?

Yes you are the only one seeing irony in that. Every large corporation would do the same thing. The only difference is Dick Cheney was never the CEO of IBM or Ford Motor Company, so you aren't interested in their activities.

Moddy clearly takes for granted and disdains the Rule of Law we have in the U.S., while giving credit to completely corrupt regimes.

Or y'know, laughing at the irony. Which is the whole reason why I posted this in the first place.

you're getting real close, it not already there, to outright dishonesty...you brought the legal basis and laughed it...had you solely mentioned just the bribe i would believe you, but instead you mentioned them saying there is no legal basis, thus, you were in fact laughing that they were saying they are innocent

just man up and admit you believed them guilty when you made the OP...running around like this and desperately spinning makes you look silly

Halliburton reportedly agrees to pay Nigeria $250 million to drop bribery charges against Cheney, firm | Raw Story

Halliburton reportedly agrees to pay Nigeria $250 million to drop bribery charges against Cheney, firm

The massive industrial conglomerate Halliburton has reportedly offered to pay $250 million to settle charges against its former chief executive, ex-Vice President Dick Cheney, in a multi-million dollar bribery case.

In the United States, KBR has already admitted bribing Nigerian officials. In February 2009, the company agreed to pay a $402 million fine. Halliburton itself paid $177 million to settle allegations paid to the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), but didn't admit wrongdoing. Still, despite the settlements, Halliburton's spokeswoman said “there is no legal basis for the charges” in a statement Dec. 8.

Nigeria's Economic and Financial Crimes Commission spokesman Femi Babafemi told Reuters the company had offered to pay up to $250 million.

"They have made offers of fines to be paid in penalties. They offered to pay $120 million in addition to the repatriation of $130 million trapped in Switzerland," Babafemi said.

There's something ironic about paying a bribe to have a bribery charge go away....:eusa_whistle:

A far, far distance away from the X,Y,Z Affair.

Forum List

Back