Darling Of The Left,Michael Moore Gives $20K For Assange Bail...

LibocalypseNow

Jul 30, 2009
This one is pretty interesting. Michael Moore has announced he has given $20K to Assange for his Bail. He has also offered his own Websites for future Wikileaks use. I'm just wondering how you all feel about this one? Most on this Board have been calling for Assange's head. And some of the more vicious calls for his head have been coming from the Leftists who routinely visit this board. So i would especially like to hear from them on this. Thanks.

Michael Moore Contributed $20K Toward Julian Assange's Bail - FoxNews.com

Man,i have to say i saw quite a few Lefties on this board recently frothing at the mouth calling for this guy's head. I'm sensing a different tone from them now. Why is that?

If Assange Were In China, US Politicians Would Be Cheering Him On

from the transparency-means-different-things-when-it's-about-you dept

We've pointed out the general hypocrisy of US politicians calling for an end to internet censorship, while threatening Wikileaks at the same time. If you want to see some real irony, check out the fact that Senator Joe Lieberman, who has been the loudest voice in pushing for censorship of Wikileaks and of others in the press, just so happens to be a member of the "Global Internet Freedom Caucus." Yeah, except here in the US.

Along those lines, Martin Varsavsky points out the obvious: if Julian Assange were a Chinese citizen, publishing Chinese government documents, the US would likely be cheering him on:

Lately I have a strong feeling that the Chinese must be rejoicing at all the "retroactive law invention" that is going on in the West to put one man in jail. Because if Assange had been a Chinese citizen promoting transparency in China we would be lining up to give him the Nobel Prize. We can't demand transparency from others and censorship for ourselves.
In fact, as Evgeny Morozov notes, Russia's Ambassador to NATO, Dmitry Rogozin is already using the US's reaction to Wikileaks to say what a joke "freedom of the press" is in America. That tweet is in Russian, but the Google translation is:

In my opinion, the fate of Assange says the lack of media freedom in the West, the presence of political persecution and human rights violations.

What's really stunning, beyond just the sheer uselessness and impotence of the US government's response to Wikileaks, is the fact that it's inevitably destroying any moral high ground on claims of freedom and support of free speech we might have once had. In the end, I would expect that to have a much bigger impact than anything that's in the actual leaked cables.
If Assange Were In China, US Politicians Would Be Cheering Him On | Techdirt

If this guy posted secret information that put American troops in harm's way such the position of troops on the battlefield and classified information about secret agents who could be killed then he is wrong and should be prosecuted, but if he's only posting the dirty laundry of politicians and their hypocrisy of how they tell people one thing and say another I say leave him the hell alone, politicians have been lying to Americans for too long.

Forum List

Back