Halliburton reportedly agrees to pay Nigeria $250 million to drop bribery charges

Halliburton reportedly agrees to pay Nigeria $250 million to drop bribery charges against Cheney, firm | Raw Story

Halliburton reportedly agrees to pay Nigeria $250 million to drop bribery charges against Cheney, firm

The massive industrial conglomerate Halliburton has reportedly offered to pay $250 million to settle charges against its former chief executive, ex-Vice President Dick Cheney, in a multi-million dollar bribery case.

In the United States, KBR has already admitted bribing Nigerian officials. In February 2009, the company agreed to pay a $402 million fine. Halliburton itself paid $177 million to settle allegations paid to the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), but didn't admit wrongdoing. Still, despite the settlements, Halliburton's spokeswoman said “there is no legal basis for the charges” in a statement Dec. 8.

Nigeria's Economic and Financial Crimes Commission spokesman Femi Babafemi told Reuters the company had offered to pay up to $250 million.

"They have made offers of fines to be paid in penalties. They offered to pay $120 million in addition to the repatriation of $130 million trapped in Switzerland," Babafemi said.

"No legal basis for the charges" but here, have a $250 million bribe to drop the bribery case. :lol:

I'm sure it is on the up-and-up.. Nigeria being the bastion of honesty and fair-play that it is.

Good grief.

Matt Dameon?

I think I just pissed myself...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

matt damon

or

george soros.

and then imagine how this thread would look like.[/QUOTE]

See RGS' post. It is, in many cases, cheaper to settle than defend yourself.

Sure, but how much do you think they would pay if they were to defend themselves and lost? I mean, it's not like they would rack up $250 million in lawyer fees if they won. If they have no legal basis for these charges, then they should have no problem with going forward and fighting this.

That answers my question.... you clearly have no idea how business operates in most African countries. Ignorance is no excuse. Learn.

That answers my question.... you clearly have no idea how business operates in most African countries. Ignorance is no excuse. Learn.

I understand how corrupt the government is there. I'm not debating whether that is true or false, it is. My point is that just because the government is corrupt doesn't mean that Haliburton is innocent on this by default.

I understand how corrupt the government is there. I'm not debating whether that is true or false, it is. My point is that just because the government is corrupt doesn't mean that Haliburton is innocent on this by default.

so should halliburton be guilty until proven innocent?

so should halliburton be guilty until proven innocent?

Didn't say that either did I? I'm merely pointing out that factoid that I previously mentioned in the post you quoted.

I'm not talking about corrupt African governments. I'm talking about how business is done in many African countries. From your posts, it is clear you know jack shit about it. I suggest you find out.... because right now, you're making yourself look stupid.

you keep saying "it doesn't mean they're innocent"..

Yes. If we're using the American court system, they would be innocent until proven guilty. However, just because the Nigeria Government is corrupt does not automatically mean that Haliburton is innocent here.

There's a difference between saying they're guilty (which I'm not) and that they're not automatically innocent because of a certain point (the Nigeria Government being corrupt).

Yes. If we're using the American court system, they would be innocent until proven guilty. However, just because the Nigeria Government is corrupt does not automatically mean that Haliburton is innocent here.

There's a difference between saying they're guilty (which I'm not) and that they're not automatically innocent because of a certain point (the Nigeria Government being corrupt).

Here's a thought....

WHO THE FUCK CARES?????????????? Geeze, at least give us an "Evil Rich" or a "Sarah Palin" thread.

You ARE implying they're guilty, junior...

Here are YOUR words from the OP:

"No legal basis for the charges" but here, have a $250 million bribe to drop the bribery case. :lol:

Spin it all you want, but you implied guilt...

You're just embarrassing yourself now, Dog. Seriously. We're aware that you loathe Cheney et al but seriously... you're just being ridiculous.

Let's say that Halliburton HAS made an "offer" to settle the "criminal" charges against Halliburton and Mr. Cheney.

It may be legal, but it doesn't look much different than a bribe (if Nigeria through its prosecutor) accepts the "offer."

This would mean that (if the claim is true in the first place) instead of paying a bribe of $180,000,000.00, Halliburtons' original bribe "cost," the new and improved final bribe cost would be $330,000,000.00.

The bottom line would be that the COST to Halliburton of doing that oil business in Nigeria would be significantly increased.

But the story is that the Nigerian oil deal was worth 6 BILLION dollars. So, if this is a done deal, Nigeria just trimmed the profit margin for Halliburton and Nigeria collected a windfall tax for its own sovereign coffers!

Everybody's happy now.

Yippee!

So provide us a link to that arrest warrant for Cheney from Interpol? Can't find one? So you start another thread. Figures. Where is the main stream press reports. None for the supposed arrest warrant and none for this agreement to pay fines.

By the way? Companies agree to pay fines and bribes because it is cost effective. Cheaper then the alternative. Even Governments do it.

Modbert started another thread on this? Where?

Because on the surface, that's exactly how it is. It isn't an issue of implied guilt, I just find it ironic that they were giving $250 million bribe to drop a bribery case.

Then why are you so gleefully jumping upon this story and smearing Cheney?

I read somewhere a little while ago that the LAST time Nigeria filed charges against Halliburton, the company paid over half a billion dollars to "settle" the case.

There comes a point where it might not be profitable to do ANY future business with such a corrupt nation.

Then why are you so gleefully jumping upon this story and smearing Cheney?

Smearing Cheney? Odd, outside of the Nigerian email scam joke, when have I even mentioned Cheney in this thread? I posted the article that mentioned him, yes. However, the title that I gave this story on USMB and my comments otherwise than previously mentioned have no mention of Cheney.

Try again.

Because on the surface, that's exactly how it is. It isn't an issue of implied guilt, I just find it ironic that they were giving $250 million bribe to drop a bribery case.

IOW, you are implying Haliburton's guilt...

Just back away from the thread... You're heading into rdean fail territory now...

Forum List

Back