Gun deaths greater than car deaths in 10 states

zzzz

Just a regular American
Jul 24, 2010
Yountsville
To set the record straight I am not a proponent of strict gun control. And yes this report is from what I perceive is an anti gun lobby. But the data is from the CDC.

Saying that, this information was startling from 2009. Part of the reason is the vehicular safety measures taken by the car manufacturers and in fact since 2006 deaths in vehicular crashes have been on the decline.

Several of these gun deaths were accidents, hunting accidents, accidental discharges and such. Many of these could have been avoided if proper gun handling or storage of guns had been practiced.

Nationally, there were 31,236 firearm deaths in 2009 and 36,361 motor vehicle deaths according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Injury Prevention and Control.

Alaska: 104 gun deaths, 84 motor vehicle deaths

Arizona: 856 gun deaths, 809 motor vehicle deaths

Colorado: 583 gun deaths, 565 motor vehicle deaths

Indiana: 735 gun deaths, 715 motor vehicle deaths

Michigan: 1,095 gun deaths, 977 motor vehicle deaths

Nevada: 406 gun deaths, 255 motor vehicle deaths

Oregon: 417 gun deaths, 394 motor vehicle deaths

Utah: 260 gun deaths, 256 motor vehicle deaths

Virginia: 836 gun deaths, 827 motor vehicle deaths

Washington: 623 gun deaths, 580 motor vehicle deaths
VPC - The Violence Policy Center - Gun Deaths Outpace Motor Vehicle Deaths in 10 States in 2009 New Analysis Shows (5/22/2012)

I find this very surprising. I thought motor vehicle deaths were much more widespread. It's not really a matter of gun deaths being high.

more than half of those gun deaths are suicides.

yep, the majority of suicide attempts are dramatic pleas for attention.

One though who has made the decision to commit suicide will do so regardless of method. The gun related suicides chose gun rather than overdose, hanging, jumping or otherwise.

Firearms safety and education is critical.

If there's only one rule to always remember, it's to assume that all guns are loaded at all times.

Very true. The most important firearms safety device is between the ears.

"Statistics are like bikinis". "What they reveal is suggestive but what they conceal is vital". Deaths by firearms include "lawful" self defense as well as police shootings. According to an ABC report nationwide prescription drug deaths are higher than automobile deaths.

200 years ago, many of these nitwits would have starved to death during the winter, been eaten by bears, or been scalped by local Indian tribes.

We need something to replace our misplaced natural selection process. Guns work pretty well.

To set the record straight I am not a proponent of strict gun control. And yes this report is from what I perceive is an anti gun lobby. But the data is from the CDC.

Saying that, this information was startling from 2009. Part of the reason is the vehicular safety measures taken by the car manufacturers and in fact since 2006 deaths in vehicular crashes have been on the decline.

Several of these gun deaths were accidents, hunting accidents, accidental discharges and such. Many of these could have been avoided if proper gun handling or storage of guns had been practiced.

Nationally, there were 31,236 firearm deaths in 2009 and 36,361 motor vehicle deaths according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Injury Prevention and Control.

VPC - The Violence Policy Center - Gun Deaths Outpace Motor Vehicle Deaths in 10 States in 2009 New Analysis Shows (5/22/2012)

How many of those are accidental, versus suicide, or murder, or people defending themselves?

"Statistics are like bikinis". "What they reveal is suggestive but what they conceal is vital". Deaths by firearms include "lawful" self defense as well as police shootings. According to an ABC report nationwide prescription drug deaths are higher than automobile deaths.

If that's true it's also surprising (although less so after finding out firearm deaths almost equal vehicle deaths).

You expect that a number of people will die from guns each year. Suicide, murder, accident, police, self-defense, there are any number of ways. I actually might have expected murder to be the highest on the list of gun deaths, but that's probably just a matter of media saturation.

With vehicles, though, it's always felt to me as though people were getting in deadly crashes really regularly. I'll have to admit, that impression could have to do with personal bias. I'm not a driver, I'm not all that comfortable in cars, I tend to consider people too blase about the dangers of driving.

Still, the fact that vehicle deaths are that low is quite interesting to me. I wonder how it compares to previous years.

And the point is what? Are we to assume this has relevance to someones agenda or is it nothing more than statistical awareness? The last time I talked to my guns, they informed me they were content and happy, but wanted to get out and play more!

Still, the fact that vehicle deaths are that low is quite interesting to me. I wonder how it compares to previous years.

It's primarily a function of enhanced safety mechanisms in newer cars.

My kids's lives were saved last year by air bags (my daughter totaled her car). If the car had been engineered differently, or the air bags hadn't been present, I doubt they'd have walked away from the scene of the crash.

Side note: gun deaths have actually declined, significantly, since the early 1990s.

The stats offered are highly suspect.

255 vehicle deaths on I-15 into Vegas? Yeah, I doubt it.

I think what we should look at with this, is the fact that Auto deaths are the lowest since 1949....with much, much more autos on the road. We should be giving high fives to the auto makers for creating such safe modes of transportation along with safe roads and freeways.

The stats offered are highly suspect.

255 vehicle deaths on I-15 into Vegas? Yeah, I doubt it.

Suspect is right. We all know the object of these comparisons is primarily for an "anti gun" slant, so an outright comparison with traffic fatalities, and gun deaths is disingenuous. When you factor in suicides, etc. it adds even more gray area, as there is no statistic I'm aware of that represents vehicular suicide rates. FASTSTATS - Homicide

Forum List

Back