Gun deaths greater than car deaths in 10 states

200 years ago, many of these nitwits would have starved to death during the winter, been eaten by bears, or been scalped by local Indian tribes.

We need something to replace our misplaced natural selection process. Guns work pretty well.

So does abortion.
And "assisted suicide".
And euthanasia.

Minus whatever number of those deaths were suicides, I'd be interested to know of the others how many were committed by bad guys with unregistered firearms? I'd wager it's a very high percentage.

The obvious attempt is to paint all gun owners with the same broad brush, those who legally own lumped in with the street scum who'll shoot you for the sneakers on your feet.

200 years ago, many of these nitwits would have starved to death during the winter, been eaten by bears, or been scalped by local Indian tribes.

We need something to replace our misplaced natural selection process. Guns work pretty well.

So does abortion.
And "assisted suicide".
And euthanasia.

I always encourage the stupid to abort and/or euthanize themselves, as you well know.

Last edited:
Leave it to the VPC to not give the whole story so they can further their agenda. The vast majority of those states also have the highest gang violence in the nation. Gang violence constitutes around 70% of the killings (at minimum) with the vast majority being gang on gang assaults. No amount of safety/anti-gun laws will stop it.

FBI — 2011 National Gang Threat Assessment

Minus whatever number of those deaths were suicides, I'd be interested to know of the others how many were committed by bad guys with unregistered firearms? I'd wager it's a very high percentage.

The obvious attempt is to paint all gun owners with the same broad brush, those who legally own lumped in with the street scum who'll shoot you for the sneakers on your feet.

Leave it to the VPC to not give the whole story so they can further their agenda. The vast majority of those states also have the highest gang violence in the nation. Gang violence constitutes around 70% of the killings (at minimum) with the vast majority being gang on gang assaults. No amount of safety/anti-gun laws will stop it.

Class dismissed....

To set the record straight I am not a proponent of strict gun control. And yes this report is from what I perceive is an anti gun lobby. But the data is from the CDC.

Saying that, this information was startling from 2009. Part of the reason is the vehicular safety measures taken by the car manufacturers and in fact since 2006 deaths in vehicular crashes have been on the decline.

Several of these gun deaths were accidents, hunting accidents, accidental discharges and such. Many of these could have been avoided if proper gun handling or storage of guns had been practiced.

Nationally, there were 31,236 firearm deaths in 2009 and 36,361 motor vehicle deaths according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Injury Prevention and Control.

Alaska: 104 gun deaths, 84 motor vehicle deaths

Arizona: 856 gun deaths, 809 motor vehicle deaths

Colorado: 583 gun deaths, 565 motor vehicle deaths

Indiana: 735 gun deaths, 715 motor vehicle deaths

Michigan: 1,095 gun deaths, 977 motor vehicle deaths

Nevada: 406 gun deaths, 255 motor vehicle deaths

Oregon: 417 gun deaths, 394 motor vehicle deaths

Utah: 260 gun deaths, 256 motor vehicle deaths

Virginia: 836 gun deaths, 827 motor vehicle deaths

Washington: 623 gun deaths, 580 motor vehicle deaths
VPC - The Violence Policy Center - Gun Deaths Outpace Motor Vehicle Deaths in 10 States in 2009 New Analysis Shows (5/22/2012)

I'd prefer to see those stats in a :100K ratio of population

Alaska: 104 gun deaths, 84 motor vehicle deaths
Firearms are used for SURVIVAL in Alaska. Ever heard of HUNTING?

Arizona: 856 gun deaths, 809 motor vehicle deaths
Arizona is a gateway state for illegal aliens.

Colorado: 583 gun deaths, 565 motor vehicle deaths
Large state. Only ONE "large" city, thus less motor vehicle deaths.

Indiana: 735 gun deaths, 715 motor vehicle deaths
Plenty of gang activity.

Michigan: 1,095 gun deaths, 977 motor vehicle deaths
A virtual CESSPOOL of violence.....murders, gangs, armed robberies, high unemployment.

Nevada: 406 gun deaths, 255 motor vehicle deaths
Very large state, sparsely populated outside of Las Vegas, high unemployment, plenty of drug and gang activity.

Oregon: 417 gun deaths, 394 motor vehicle deaths
Plenty of drug and gang activity. Portland is the "Detroit of the Northwest".

Utah: 260 gun deaths, 256 motor vehicle deaths
Large state. Only one large population center, and plenty of gang activity in that city.

Virginia: 836 gun deaths, 827 motor vehicle deaths
Gangs, traffic, drugs......a witch's brew of death.

Washington: 623 gun deaths, 580 motor vehicle deaths
Seattle. Need I say more?

Why is it that many of these states have some of the STRICTEST gun control laws in the entire United States?

So, since 40 (FORTY) states have more vehicle deaths than gun deaths, then this country should BAN ALL MOTOR VEHICLES!

Last edited:
Firearms safety and education is critical.

If there's only one rule to always remember, it's to assume that all guns are loaded at all times.

The problem with this is there has been a pervasive attempt to make all guns and gun sports look dangerous and evil.

Recently someone tried to open an indoor gun range next to a school. The school board fought against it, as did many of the parents. WTH? Why would that be a threat to the kids in the school?

If there's only one rule to always remember, it's to assume that all guns are loaded at all times.

The problem with this is there has been a pervasive attempt to make all guns and gun sports look dangerous and evil.

Recently someone tried to open an indoor gun range next to a school. The school board fought against it, as did many of the parents. WTH? Why would that be a threat to the kids in the school?

And who's gonna dare hassle the kids in or around the school area knowing next door there's likely to be several people with loaded guns who very well know how to use them?

Totally agree, Mr. H.

Let me also add that DRIVING SAFETY and education is critical also.

If there's only one rule to always remember, it's to assume that all other drivers on the road are screaming nitwits who are likely to kill you if you give them half a chance.

That's why I advocate that all drivers drive armed and prepared to shoot the other drivers at the slightest provocation.

Remember the best defensive drivers always have a loaded handgun in the glovebox.

A car is a lethal weapon too. Some people who are involved in cop car chases are charged with assualt with a deadly weapon and other incidents like the one below not involving cops.

ARASOTA COUNTY - Sheriff’s deputies arrested a Sarasota man Tuesday on a warrant for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Investigators believe James C. Creech, 51, of the 6100 block of Hollywood Boulevard, was the driver of an older model Jeep that a man claims almost hit him on Jan. 27. The man claimed he tried to wave down the Jeep’s driver because the driver was speeding in his neighborhood and had done so before. Creech “intentionally swerved towards the victim who was not blocking his path,” an arrest report states.
Sarasota Sheriff: Driver used car as deadly weapon | HeraldTribune.com

What was interesting to me was that deaths from vehicle accidents were near gun deaths. Vehicle accidents still mangle many more Americans that guns hurt. And because the safety has increased in vehicles the death rate has fallen.

Another interesting statistic is that even though cellphone use has increased dramatically car crashes have decreased over the same time period. Every day I drive to town I meet someone who is crossing the center line and texting or using a phone but they usually jerk back over to their side or I slow down and swerve to miss them. Maybe people are doing more defensive driving and all the close calls are making people more aware?

Graph%20of%20cell%20phone%20use%20compared%20to%20number%20of%20car%20accidents.jpg.sthumbnails.638.486.png

http://www.shopautoweek.com/content... of car accidents.jpg.sthumbnails.638.486.png

Last edited:

This is not a reliable source, because it relies upon extrapolation of non-existent law enforcement documentation based upon subjective opinion. I wouldn't use it for these purposes. There isn't a source which accurately classifies gang-related crimes around the U.S., because most police agencies in the U.S. do a piss poor job of tracking gang-involved crimes, and significantly under report them. So, what this report did was ask cops their opinions (without data to back it up), and then report those opinions as fact. That's a terrible methodology for a report of this sort.

And, beyond that, even the data included in the report has been found to have major flaws. Here's an example: FBI mistake: Salt Lake County no longer has top 10 gangs status | ksl.com

In October, the National Gang Intelligence Center released its 2011 National Gang Threat Assessment report. According to the report, Salt Lake County ranks ninth in the nation for having the most gang members, with 15,574. That number also put Salt Lake County in fourth place in the West for the county with the most gang members, ahead of counties such as Clark County, Nev., Orange County, Calif., San Diego County, Riverside County, Calif., and Ventura County, Calif.

When officers with the Salt Lake Metro Gang Unit saw the numbers, they immediately knew they were flawed.

The Metro Gang Unit said it had counted about 2,500 documented gang members in Salt Lake County, about 13,000 fewer than what the FBI reported.

KSL News contacted the FBI's Salt Lake City Office about how the numbers were tabulated.

After two weeks of making calls back to national headquarters in Washington D.C., David Johnson, special agent-in-charge of the Salt Lake field office, was informed that the Salt Lake County numbers are wrong.

The group that compiled the report had apparently asked each individual police agency in Salt Lake County to submit reports about the number of gang members in the county. The data was likely added all together as if each city had broken down its numbers, rather than the cities submitting numbers for the county population of gang members.

The chance of dying from an auto accident is about 1 in 6500. Your chance of dying from gunshot wounds is about 1 in 10,000. Your chance of dying from cancer is 1 in 4. So what do think we should be most concerned about?"

The chance of dying from an auto accident is about 1 in 6500. Your chance of dying from gunshot wounds is about 1 in 10,000. Your chance of dying from cancer is 1 in 4. So what do think we should be most concerned about?"

Agree.

I despise that word Cancer.

Every one of us has been touched by it.
:(

Forum List

Back