Greetings from Finland

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sodafin, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Sodafin

Sodafin Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi everyone,

I'm from Helsinki, Finland. I'm a journalist, so any thoughts you have on the leftist media conspiracy, please take them somewhere else.

On the other hand, I work a lot in conflict zones and the Third World, so hopefully there will be some interesting discussion on some of those places too.

2. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    Welcome!

3. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,299
    Welcome. We hope to travel up your way some day, it appears to be a beautiful place.

"If by a 'Liberal' they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people -their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties -- someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a 'Liberal,' then I'm proud to say I'm a 'Liberal.'" President John F Kennedy on September 14, 1960

4. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    Welcome! Tell me about Finland's well regarded educational system?

5. code1211

code1211 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +845

Greetings.

In the USA, there is a move afoot to nationalize healthcare insurance. The actual healthcare will still be privately provided. This will be private industry directed by government interests much along the model of the Nazis some years back or of the California utilities more recently. Obviously, the Nazis were more successful.

In Finland, is there nationally provided healthcare? Is the actual healthcare provided or is it just the insurance system? Is the level of care good? What is the annual cost to the average Finn? Are there any drawbacks to the system that you have noticed? Did the system now used in Finland spring up all at once or step by step?

If this is an unfair or uninformed set of questions, please make a response that addresses a better set of questions.

My concern is that in this country the Congressional majority exists so the program must be voted on rather than finding that the idea is good so we should adopt it.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  6. Sodafin

Sodafin Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Well, let's not get carried away now - at the moment it is -17C and dark outside!

Finland is not really particularly beautiful, but it does have some charms. It is clean, safe, efficient and people are generally honest and hardworking.

7. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    :welcome:

8. Sodafin

Sodafin Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Yes, everyone here has access to healthcare. Patients pay a token fee for services - for instance, a night in hospital currently costs something like €28.

The level of care is exceptional. In my experience it is completely world class. There can be minor delays for surgery, but generally the queues are quite short, and research shows most people are very satisfied with the level of service.

When I've followed he debate in the US I have been shocked and extremely disappointed that conservatives have taken such a negative and counter-productive approach. Universal healthcare here is excellent and efficient - and costs less per capita than the US system. That doesn't mean the US should copy us - it is up to American voters to decide that - but it does mean conservatives should accept the strengths and validity of universal health care as a concept.

We also have free dentistry and psychiatric care.

9. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,395
    Hody.

10. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,089
    Welcome Sodafin

I've never been to Finland but I was in Stockholm in the summer and watched Finnish TV from Helsinki for 15 minutes! The program was a few Finnish women talking about something while showing shots of downtown Helsinki.

The topography of Finland is very similar to where I come from in northern Saskatchewan.

As a Canadian, let me salute all the great Finnish hockey players like Saku Koivu, Teemu Selanne and Jari Kurri! And as a Liverpool fan, let me salute Sami Hyppia!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009