Great, Just Great! Downing Street Memos Faked?

I was talking to someone about how this reporter allegedly recopied the memos from the originals and then destroyed them to protect the source. This person said that was fine because sometimes reporters ARE forced to reveal their sources. Then i asked her if this was a good standard of journalism and honesty going forward, considering that this practice gives journalists the power to make shit up out of thin air. That concern was met with an angry silence.

Kathianne said:
Well, if it's the same, the time frame probably means he didn't have time to learn the consequences of Rathergate. :laugh:

Yeah, but you would figure that the reporters currently going on about this would be smart enough to check into the source. I wonder how much of this stuff is coming from Rather, it seems he would be the most likely to not believe this particular source...

no1tovote4 said:
Yeah, but you would figure that the reporters currently going on about this would be smart enough to check into the source. I wonder how much of this stuff is coming from Rather, it seems he would be the most likely to not believe this particular source...

:smoke: That would be interesting...

rtwngAvngr said:
I was talking to someone about how this reporter allegedly recopied the memos from the originals and then destroyed them to protect the source. This person said that was fine because sometimes reporters ARE forced to reveal their sources. Then i asked her if this was a good standard of journalism and honesty going forward, considering that this practice gives journalists the power to make shit up out of thin air. That concern was met with an angry silence.

Exactly! The whole "I destroyed them so that they couldn't point back to me.." excuse seems rather lame anyway. It is the Reporter that could point at you if forced to reveal not the document that you "didn't write (yeah right)".

no1tovote4 said:
Exactly! The whole "I destroyed them so that they couldn't point back to me.." excuse seems rather lame anyway. It is the Reporter that could point at you if forced to reveal not the document that you "didn't write (yeah right)".

yeah. That "protection" wouldn't work anyway.

Forum List

Back