Gov. Rick Scott Rejects Funding for High Speed Rail.

This is another example of Government having too much power to collect money and spend it. If the government can tax us, make us pay a fee, pay for a passport, any way they steal our money, if the government has the power to collect, this power to tax and make money off the people who work will always corrupt those who control it.

There is only one solution, cut the government down to size, take away its power to tax and collect.

We should compromise and give everything to the Liberals that the Liberals want. Everything, that is the compromise Liberals demand.

The train is going to be real fast, only problem is buying the ticket from the government agent, that will take forever, I bet it will be worst than getting a new Driver's liscence or buying stamps.

Yep, let us just cut our government to the point that the EU, Japan, China, and India are considered the leading nations, the US will just be a third world has been. A place with some very rich people, and a lot of poor working class people. That is the Conservative dream.

State legislators questioned whether the governor has the authority to unilaterally kill high-speed rail, and members of Florida's congressional delegation discussed with U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood ways to circumvent Scott's decision.

One possibility: Cut the state out of the equation and have cities along the rail line form a partnership to receive the federal dollars.

No doubt many of you right wingers will applaude this move as I KNOW how much you guys are all onboard with LOCAL CONTROL, right?

Hey maybe the cites of FLA ought to stage a CIVIL WAR against their state, too.

And then after the cities become independent, perhaps the neighborhoods ought to break away from the cities, too, so they have even more LOCAL CONTROL.

And then after that perhaps the individual families can break away from the neighborhoods so that the control is even more LOCAL.

Eventurally every human being can declare himself as sovereign nation and everybody will enjoy the benefits of LOCAL CONTROL.

I think high speed rail from Miami and Tampa with Orlando being the hub would do fine.
Then later make a line from Orlando to Atlanta.
and what about those communities in between?
the ones that will have the tracks and the noise, but the trains wont stop there, or if they DO stop, BOOM, there goes the "high speed"
What communities would those be? There is virtually nothing between Miami and Orlando once you get away from the coast.

Scott is a toad. I would certainly use this train as would a gazillion south American tourists.

I think high speed rail from Miami and Tampa with Orlando being the hub would do fine.
Then later make a line from Orlando to Atlanta.
the ones that will have the tracks and the noise, but the trains wont stop there, or if they DO stop, BOOM, there goes the "high speed"
What communities would those be? There is virtually nothing between Miami and Orlando once you get away from the coast.

Scott is a toad. I would certainly use this train as would a gazillion south American tourists.
ah, the "fly-over people"
they dont matter
:rolleyes:

State legislators questioned whether the governor has the authority to unilaterally kill high-speed rail, and members of Florida's congressional delegation discussed with U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood ways to circumvent Scott's decision.

One possibility: Cut the state out of the equation and have cities along the rail line form a partnership to receive the federal dollars.

No doubt many of you right wingers will applaude this move as I KNOW how much you guys are all onboard with LOCAL CONTROL, right?

Hey maybe the cites of FLA ought to stage a CIVIL WAR against their state, too.

And then after the cities become independent, perhaps the neighborhoods ought to break away from the cities, too, so they have even more LOCAL CONTROL.

And then after that perhaps the individual families can break away from the neighborhoods so that the control is even more LOCAL.

Eventurally every human being can declare himself as sovereign nation and everybody will enjoy the benefits of LOCAL CONTROL.

Wow. Talk about unclear on the concept regarding our form of government.

they dont matter

You haven't driven from Tampa-Orlando-Miami before have you? A lot of Florida is just wilderness. For example if you were to drive from Tampa to Miami, you'd come accross a stretch of highway with literally no exits (1 gas station in the middle, maybe a couple rest stops every now and then), for about 85 miles or so.

It wouldn't bother nearly anybody if it were built from Tampa to Orlando to Miami-it would be relatively easy to build it where it wouldn't interfere with towns. Those people could also take full advantage of it. If you live in the middle of Tampa and Orlando for example-you would be half hour-absolute TOPS-away from the train station.

PS-How can I speak on behalf of "fly-over people"? Well I can't speak for all of them-but I can speak for one-myself. :lol:

they dont matter

You haven't driven from Tampa-Orlando-Miami before have you? A lot of Florida is just wilderness. For example if you were to drive from Tampa to Miami, you'd come accross a stretch of highway with literally no exits (1 gas station in the middle, maybe a couple rest stops every now and then), for about 85 miles or so.

It wouldn't bother nearly anybody if it were built from Tampa to Orlando to Miami-it would be relatively easy to build it where it wouldn't interfere with towns. Those people could also take full advantage of it. If you live in the middle of Tampa and Orlando for example-you would be half hour-absolute TOPS-away from the train station.

PS-How can I speak on behalf of "fly-over people"? Well I can't speak for all of them-but I can speak for one-myself. :lol:
actually, i have
i used to live in Port Charlotte FL and visited Miami and west palm a few times
as well as Sarasota and Tampa areas

btw, i dont oppose a rail system there
just have private investors do it
if it has a profitable potential, and high ridership, that shouldnt be a problem

Last edited:
they dont matter

actually, i have

if it has a profitable potential, and high ridership, that shouldnt be a problem

I actually agree that there needs to be private investors. My main point of arguing was that I think the high speed rail is a good idea in itself (depending on the area it's being built), not so much saying Scott should, or should not have accepted the funding.

People forget and/or don't know he's going to Japan to meet with several potential, private investors-and already had them in Florida discussing it.

And I will admit to assuming before (we all know assuming makes someone)-I made a mistake-and I'm sure it wont be the last time.:lol: But I still think it could be built without intruding on fly-over towns.

How many people realize that the people of Florida thru a balloot measure approved high speed rail years ago and Jeb Bush killed it against the democratic choice?

Well..... my kids want an amusement park in my backyard, but Im a dictator who knows WE CANT AFFORD IT..... wow, how much sense does that make?

Guess I had better go tell my bank (china) to float me a loan.... I will just make my kids great grandchildren saddle the burden of paying it off :cuckoo:

Yeah.... those evil conservatives just dont want Floridians to have any fun on a toy train of their own :(

actually, i have

I actually agree that there needs to be private investors. My main point of arguing was that I think the high speed rail is a good idea in itself (depending on the area it's being built), not so much saying Scott should, or should not have accepted the funding.

People forget and/or don't know he's going to Japan to meet with several potential, private investors-and already had them in Florida discussing it.

And I will admit to assuming before (we all know assuming makes someone)-I made a mistake-and I'm sure it wont be the last time.:lol: But I still think it could be built without intruding on fly-over towns.
the thing is, those towns are going to want SOMETHING
either train stations or possibly financial compensation
the problem with the stations is, the more stations you have, the more stops the train has to make
and frankly, those smaller towns would likely have more use for the trains than the larger ones

and if they need financial compensation, it will increase the operating costs of the train system

How many people realize that the people of Florida thru a balloot measure approved high speed rail years ago and Jeb Bush killed it against the democratic choice?

Well..... my kids want an amusement park in my backyard, but Im a dictator who knows WE CANT AFFORD IT..... wow, how much sense does that make?

Guess I had better go tell my bank (china) to float me a loan.... I will just make my kids great grandchildren saddle the burden of paying it off :cuckoo:

Yeah.... those evil conservatives just dont want Floridians to have any fun on a toy train of their own :(
the state also had a ballot measure to FUND that project, and it was rejected by the voters
so, they wanted it, till they found out they had to PAY FOR IT

;)

they dont matter

One problem with the Tampa-Orlando line is that as "high speed" it is it would take longer than driving. Currently there are 5 stops planned. That's already an hour. Also, once the train stops in Tampa what does one do without a car? Where do they go?

Also, there is a problem with ridership and population density. This area of Florida isn't as dense as Atlanta, which has regional rail but still needs to be subsidized.

they dont matter

One problem with the Tampa-Orlando line is that as "high speed" it is it would take longer than driving. Currently there are 5 stops planned. That's already an hour. Also, once the train stops in Tampa what does one do without a car? Where do they go?

Also, there is a problem with ridership and population density. This area of Florida isn't as dense as Atlanta, which has regional rail but still needs to be subsidized.
5 STOPS between Tampa and Orlando???????

the driving time from Tampa to Orlando would be about 1 hour and 35 minutes
downtown to downtown

they dont matter

actually, i have

yea because private investors magically invest in everything that would be beneficial to society :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

actually, i have

yea because private investors magically invest in everything that would be beneficial to society :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:
how would it be "beneficial" to add an additional cost to the tax base to run a train system that would fail otherwise?

actually, i have

how would it be "beneficial" to add an additional cost to the tax base to run a train system that would fail otherwise?

I am not sure what your question has to do with my post

I am not sure what your question has to do with my post
really?
you are saying that investors wouldnt build a train
if investors wouldnt build it, it would be because there is no profit potential
thus having the government build it would mean it would never be self sufficient and would require constant government funding
thus is become a burden on the tax base and NOT "Beneficial"

Forum List

Back