Gov. Rick Scott Rejects Funding for High Speed Rail.

Imagine if Queen Isabella were a republican, or even think back a bit longer, imagine the first caveman to say we can farm, and live outside. Jeez, thankfully not everyone is a conservative republican as we would still be living in a cave howling at the moon.

Lord, what sad people these republicans are, they too shall pass.

"President Eisenhower describes his administration's political philosophy as 'dynamic conservatism,' then as 'progressive, dynamic conservatism,' then as 'progressive moderation,' then as 'moderate progressivism,' and then as 'positive progressivism.'" William Manchester

"All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income." Samuel Butler

In the mid fifties, "generosity was voted the most conspicuous American characteristic, followed by friendliness, understanding, piety, love of freedom, and progressivism. The American faults listed were petty: shallowness, egotism, extravagance, preoccupation with money, and selfishness." William Manchester in "The Glory and the Dream" quoting George Gallup's Institute of public opinion.

Scott? The same Scott that stole 1.7 billion from Medicare that we know of? Probably figures he has a better chance on getting his hands on a few billion of the funds if he is working with the Japanese.

Gov. Rick Scott rejects funding for high-speed rail - St. Petersburg Times

Florida is the third large state to reject the rail funding, joining Ohio and Wisconsin. Florida's share would have been much larger that of the other two states.

Good for Rick Scott.

He must have some brains if he is against letting the government run another rail system in this country...just look to AMTRACK for why I say this (hint amtrack is a money losing operation funded by our tax dollars)

A couple of quick points; first off Amtrack is not high speed rail. It takes forever to get anywhere on Amtrack. Secondly, we are going to need high speed rail sooner than most think. It's hard to say how long it will be until gas prices hit $5 to $7 per gallon, but when that time comes, air travel is going to become extremely expensive.

The need for high speed rail is here, and the need for it is only going to increase in time. What doesn't make sense is starting with high speed rail in places like Florida, Ohio, and Wisconsin. What would make sense is to start with states like California and the entire Northeast where population density is the greatest.

Florida is the third large state to reject the rail funding, joining Ohio and Wisconsin. Florida's share would have been much larger that of the other two states.

Good for Rick Scott.

He must have some brains if he is against letting the government run another rail system in this country...just look to AMTRACK for why I say this (hint amtrack is a money losing operation funded by our tax dollars)

A couple of quick points; first off Amtrack is not high speed rail. It takes forever to get anywhere on Amtrack. Secondly, we are going to need high speed rail sooner than most think. It's hard to say how long it will be until gas prices hit $5 to $7 per gallon, but when that time comes, air travel is going to become extremely expensive.

The need for high speed rail is here, and the need for it is only going to increase in time. What doesn't make sense is starting with high speed rail in places like Florida, Ohio, and Wisconsin. What would make sense is to start with states like California and the entire Northeast where population density is the greatest.

I'm not against a High Speed Rail system at all.

Right now with our current debt and defecit we can't afford to let the government start a new program like this, especially when the government has proven inept at staying within budget and making a profit.

There is an article in today's St Pete Times saying that he may not have the power to reject the funds. The governor of Florida is actually one of the weaker governorships in the country. I will post the link later.

California is starting High Speed rail, its going to start in Fresno, nice place to start, I have never been to Fresno, I will never go to Fresno, Fresno is actually out of the way if your going to San Fransico, at best this is public transportation for people on welfare.

Will I ever use high speed rail, no, to dangerous, one bomb along the tracks and thats it.

I did use Amtrack a few times between Pittsburg and Detroit, it took about 12 hours, a good 4 hours longer then if I drove.

Another time I took Amtrack from Chicago to Los Angeles, it took two days, nice to see the country, the entire coach section was White Trash and Hip Hop gang bangers bragging about their deals in the hood.

It was not to bad, they stayed in the smoking lounge and never spent any time in the Dinner car or the at the bar.

Another time, between Orange county and San Diego I took the Amtrack. It took almost four hours. I was furious. When I bought the ticket I complained about the 20$ price, the government ticket agent said the price is good, they sell out all the time, I looked at the train, looked at the agent and stated, your a train, you have two cars, you can add more. She was dumbfounded, it never occured to her that you could add cars to a train.

High Speed rail, what for, if its a short distance a car is best, if its any further I prefer to rack up frequent flyer miles.

So who wants to be the first to lose a loved one on the government run, taxpayer paid, free transportation for welfare receipents, money pit bullet train.

Good for Rick Scott.

Agreed. And the point is that IF there was a market for such a thing? The private sector would have met it a long time ago...and why AMTRAK continues to be subsidized, and at a loss.

All it is is payoff for Obama's Union pals...and will be another unwanted/uneeded burden on taxpayers AFTER it is built. US private railroads got OUT of the passenger business in 1971 because it was a drain on their resources and thus the advent of AMTRAK.

Private Autos and Airlines kicked the butts of the passenger rail service. It continues on the backs of taxpayers to this day...a losing proposition.

Private Autos and Airlines kicked the butts of the passenger rail service. It continues on the backs of taxpayers to this day...a losing proposition.

Except for the fact they failed and had to be bailed out. Once again proving why you shouldn't think and post ever.
Government run AMTRAK has been nothing but a perpetual bailout on the tax payers backs.

Ya' might wanna try thinking before you speak, ya' liberal douchebag.

In Tallahassee, a veto-proof majority of the Florida Senate rebuked Scott in a letter that urged the federal government to give the state the money Scott has refused.

"Politics should have no place in the future of Florida's transportation, as evidenced by this letter of bipartisan support," said the letter, signed by 26 members of the Republican-controlled Florida Senate. ...

The long planned rail line would connect Tampa to Orlando and the $2.4 billion would have covered nearly the entire cost. Private companies were willing to cover any additional construction costs and operating losses. But Scott worried about cost overruns, and said low ridership would have required state subsidies. ...

Gardiner referred questions about the legality of Scott's rejection of federal money to Sen. David Simmons, whom he described as the "brains" of the Senate. Simmons helped write the letter with Dockery and Sen. Thad Altman, R-Melbourne.

"The bottom line is that he can't reject this money: It was already approved by another Legislature and another governor," said Simmons, R-Altamonte Springs. "It's like trying to veto a bill after it becomes law. It's too late."

The number of senators who signed the letter, 26, is significant because it is a veto-proof majority. The lawmakers have the power to override any attempt Scott might make to block the appropriation of rail money.

Other senators said they also didn't like the fact that Scott decided to reverse a decision of the Legislature without giving lawmakers a heads up.

Said Sen. Greg Evers, R-Baker, "This is a sign: Talk to us first."

Florida lawmakers fight to keep rail money Gov. Rick Scott rejected - St. Petersburg Times

It will be very interesting to see how Scott acts. Unlike a CEO, the governor of Florida is a relatively weak position, and Senators don't like being told what to do.

Except for the fact they failed and had to be bailed out. Once again proving why you shouldn't think and post ever.
Government run AMTRAK has been nothing but a perpetual bailout on the tax payers backs.

That person is incapable of independent thought.

That person is incapable of independent thought.
Obviously.

Must suck for him that he no longer has ol' Keith Olbermann feeding him his loony liberal talking points any longer.:razz:

Last edited:
I think high speed rail from Miami and Tampa with Orlando being the hub would do fine.
Then later make a line from Orlando to Atlanta.

I think high speed rail from Miami and Tampa with Orlando being the hub would do fine.
Then later make a line from Orlando to Atlanta.
and what about those communities in between?
the ones that will have the tracks and the noise, but the trains wont stop there, or if they DO stop, BOOM, there goes the "high speed"

Forum List

Back