"Gotham" (Fox TV)

I think a bully in Middle School is nowhere near "bin Laden".

Joe, I wrote, the character Batman....this boy defended himself in the show...against a bully....

No, he beat another child in an act of revenge. That bully was not an immediate threat to him.

And the adult in his life, instead of confronting the adult in that child's life, instead indulged his act of revenge.

Now, besides this being totally sociopathic, it really undermines the characters as written in the comics. Alfred in the comics is Batman/Bruce's "voice of reason". This version of Alfred is just an enabler of bad behavior.
the Alfred in the comics was when Bruce was an adult......i dont ever remember a Batman comic that dealt with a 12 year old Bruce.....so do we know what went on back then?....and i read these things in the 50's....religiously.....

I love how the liberals hate this show.

Me? I find it quite interesting and enjoyable.

I'm a Batman fan and I hate this show.

This show is doing for Batman what "The Phantom Menace" did for Darth Vader.

Absolutely terrible comparison. The Phantom Menace was simply a bad movie. Even had it followed along with the story of the original movies, it was poorly made and acted. Gotham, while you may not like the story, is at least put together fairly well.

As to this show dramatically changing the Bruce Wayne character, I don't agree. Yes, it is obviously taking liberties, but there have been plenty of different takes on Bruce Wayne/Batman over the years, I don't think Gotham is ruining some sort of sacred canon about his youth. And Alfred, while he is often the 'voice of reason', is also a former soldier who has on multiple occasions shown off his physical and strategic skills and, depending on who's doing the writing, gone for his own revenge as well.

If you don't like what they have done with this show, that's entirely understandable, but Batman has been a changeable enough character that I don't think what they have done is so far from the comics as to ruin it.

I would have preferred a little bit less of shoving various characters from the comics in our faces, though. :p

the Alfred in the comics was when Bruce was an adult......i dont ever remember a Batman comic that dealt with a 12 year old Bruce.....so do we know what went on back then?....and i read these things in the 50's....religiously.....

I guess, if you want to stretch, maybe Alfred made some really poor parenting choices when Bruce was growing up.

Here's the better question. Did we NEED a whole TV series dedicated to Bruce Wayne as a middle-schooler?

I guess, if you want to stretch, maybe Alfred made some really poor parenting choices when Bruce was growing up.

Here's the better question. Did we NEED a whole TV series dedicated to Bruce Wayne as a middle-schooler?
hey ill take this anyday over those shitty reality shows.....shit Joe if you dont like it.....change the channel,there are enough to go check out.........

hey ill take this anyday over those shitty reality shows.....shit Joe if you dont like it.....change the channel,there are enough to go check out.........

I'm kind of expressing my disappointment with it.

I think when they take something like this - material that already has fans - and flips a big bird to the Audience by changing things, we maybe ought to point it out.

This was my big problem with Star Trek Enterprise. "Hey, let's make a prequel Star Trek series where the Vulcans are the bad guys!"

I also doubt it will last one season. I think it would be a shame if Fox kept this on the air after cancelling Firefly.

I don't understand the fascination with the show Firefly...it was okay, but nothing special....

Joe, as much as you say you hate "Red Neck gun nuts" it would seem the characters on that show are the very type of people you can't stand....since the are pretty much red neck gun nuts....who use guns in a definitely illegal manner, and the only non red neck gun nuts were the Doctor, his sister and possibly the priest and the...sex worker....

I think when they take something like this - material that already has fans - and flips a big bird to the Audience by changing things, we maybe ought to point it out.

This was my big problem with Star Trek Enterprise. "Hey, let's make a prequel Star Trek series where the Vulcans are the bad guys!"

I also doubt it will last one season. I think it would be a shame if Fox kept this on the air after cancelling Firefly.

According to this, if you take all kinds of viewership into account, Gotham is by far FOX's best rated show.

8216 Gotham 8217 Tops FOX 30-Day Multi-Platform Ratings for the Week of October 6 - Ratings TVbytheNumbers.Zap2it.com

Firefly, while a great show, had issues that Gotham does not. Poor advertisement, a more niche type of basic audience, no wave of comic book movies and shows to be part of.

Plenty of good sci-fi shows have been cancelled prematurely.

Gotham is pretty well put together show, even if you do not enjoy it.

Joe, as much as you say you hate "Red Neck gun nuts" it would seem the characters on that show are the very type of people you can't stand....since the are pretty much red neck gun nuts....who use guns in a definitely illegal manner, and the only non red neck gun nuts were the Doctor, his sister and possibly the priest and the...sex worker....

Okay, except this is a work of fiction...

IN the real world, rednecks are usually using hteir famous last words, 'Hold my beer".

IN the real world, rednecks are usually using hteir famous last words, 'Hold my beer".

Joe, I think we found an area of agreement...when you are anywhere where alcohol is being imbibed, and you hear the words..."Hold my bear," you should either run for cover....or get out your cell phone camera...hilarity or tragedy is about to happen....

The bottom line is simple --- If you don't like the show, don't watch it!!!!!

I probably won't for much longer. However, I do try to give certain SF and Fantasy shows a little more leeway than I give other shows.

The Doctor Who Reboot and Babylon 5 had very weak first seasons. Then the writing got better, they tweaked a few things - mostly getting rid of lead actors who didn't work. (Not an option I see for Gotham.)

i heard it is one of Foxes highest rated shows.....its been averaging 6.7 million viewers thru the first 8 episodes and has been oked for a full season.....Firefly by the way was pulling in an avg of 4.7 million viewers during its 11 episode run..........

The bottom line is simple --- If you don't like the show, don't watch it!!!!!

I probably won't for much longer. However, I do try to give certain SF and Fantasy shows a little more leeway than I give other shows.

The Doctor Who Reboot and Babylon 5 had very weak first seasons. Then the writing got better, they tweaked a few things - mostly getting rid of lead actors who didn't work. (Not an option I see for Gotham.)

One day I really should watch Babylon 5!

Forum List

Back