"Gotham" (Fox TV)

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
This fall, the Batman (DC Comics) adapted TV series "Gotham" (Fox TV) will premiere.

"Gotham" (Fox TV) will present origin storylines of the famous caped crusader Batman as the young boy Bruce Wayne scarred by the murder of his parents and attempting to mature into his role as an aristocrat in Gotham City and finding his way towards republic-minded vigilantism while various nihilistic super-villains such as Penguin (a crime-master with a taste for blood) and Poison Ivy (an eco-terrorist who is anything but democratic) rise to power.

This TV series reflects a modern demand for entertainment that represents society fascination with lifestyle thrills.

When the controversial American white supremacist David Duke went on national TV in the 1990s and voiced his incendiary opinions about racial profiling, people took notice of the power that modern media has in creating discussion about the merging of politics and street talk.

Well, "Gotham" (Fox TV) reveals today's social interest in politics-oriented comic book stylized art talk avatars such as the 'heretical' eco-activist Poison Ivy.

Watching "Gotham" (Fox TV) just might make you think about Poison Ivy and recycling those pesky plastic water bottles in your consumerism skeleton closet.

I can seriously see this show becoming an American achievement.

"Gotham" (Fox TV) could be as spellbinding as the popular Green Arrow (the incredible super-archer) comic book adapted TV series "Arrow" (CW TV).

:eusa_boohoo:

Gotham on FOX

XGJXLqv.jpg

gotham_posters_ivy.jpg

Last edited:
This fall, the Batman (DC Comics) adapted TV series "Gotham" (Fox TV) will premiere.

"Gotham" (Fox TV) will present origin storylines of the famous caped crusader Batman as the young boy Bruce Wayne scarred by the murder of his parents and attempting to mature into his role as an aristocrat in Gotham City and finding his way towards republic-minded vigilantism while various nihilistic super-villains such as Penguin (a crime-master with a taste for blood) and Poison Ivy (an eco-terrorist who is anything but democratic) rise to power.

This TV series reflects a modern demand for entertainment that represents society fascination with lifestyle thrills.

When the controversial American white supremacist David Duke went on national TV in the 1990s and voiced his incendiary opinions about racial profiling, people took notice of the power that modern media has in creating discussion about the merging of politics and street talk.

Well, "Gotham" (Fox TV) reveals today's social interest in politics-oriented comic book stylized art talk avatars such as the 'heretical' eco-activist Poison Ivy.

Watching "Gotham" (Fox TV) just might make you think about Poison Ivy and recycling those pesky plastic water bottles in your consumerism skeleton closet.

I can seriously see this show becoming an American achievement.

"Gotham" (Fox TV) could be as spellbinding as the popular Green Arrow (the incredible super-archer) comic book adapted TV series "Arrow" (CW TV).

:eusa_boohoo:

Gotham on FOX

XGJXLqv.jpg

gotham_posters_ivy.jpg

Is this going to be "Smallville" for Batman?

Ugh.

I don't think it is. From what I've read this focuses more on Jim Gordon, with Wayne and the villains playing secondary roles.

Plus, it's not on the WB/UPN/CW. :lol:

Well, I just watched the premiere.

They managed to shoehorn in "prequel" versions of not only Batman, but the Penguin, Poison Ivy, Catwoman, The Riddler and the Joker. I'm surprised they didn't have Two-Face in a pre-law class. They also included minor normal characters like Rene Montoya and Harvey Bullock.

So this is like a "prequel" to the Nolan Batman who exists in a universe where no one has super powers.

Hey, bonus round. Alfred Pennysworth is played by Sean Pertwee, who is the son of Jon Pertwee, or as we better know him, the Third Doctor.

Is this going to be "Smallville" for Batman?

Ugh.

I don't think it is. From what I've read this focuses more on Jim Gordon, with Wayne and the villains playing secondary roles.

Plus, it's not on the WB/UPN/CW. :lol:

Well, I just watched the premiere.

They managed to shoehorn in "prequel" versions of not only Batman, but the Penguin, Poison Ivy, Catwoman, The Riddler and the Joker. I'm surprised they didn't have Two-Face in a pre-law class. They also included minor normal characters like Rene Montoya and Harvey Bullock.

So this is like a "prequel" to the Nolan Batman who exists in a universe where no one has super powers.

Hey, bonus round. Alfred Pennysworth is played by Sean Pertwee, who is the son of Jon Pertwee, or as we better know him, the Third Doctor.

Holy crap did they shoehorn in characters. I'm hoping that is not going to be a regular thing in the show, too many Batman characters forced into unnecessary scenes.

Not a great premier, but I'll give it some more episodes, it wasn't horrible.

It did focus on Gordon, at least. :lol:

Damn, I missed it. I'm sure they'll replay it, though.

I meant to watch it, the concept reminds me of the Batman: Year One graphic novel, which also focused on a young Gordon.

Street Lights

After watching the first two episodes of "Gotham" (Fox TV), I find that it is comparable to "Arrow" (The CW) and arguably has the potential to be as good as "Smallville" (WB, CW).

In fact, I think with the colorful introductions of ominous henchmen, "Gotham" (Fox TV) is offering audiences Batman's own stamp and perhaps separating it from Superman lore (perhaps prepping America nicely for the upcoming Superman vs. Batman film). I really liked Lili Taylor and Frank Whaley's insidious characters from Episode 2, "Selina Kyle" (09/29/2014).

What really sets apart Batman from Superman and other comic book heroes such as Green Arrow is its conscious focus on the psychological aspects of vigilantism. Modern age populism politics gave rise to street justice talk and the cultural popularity of the Hell's Angels and Hollywood (USA) films such as "Maniac Cop" (1988) added fuel to the fire.

Batman is in many ways the comic book world's most intriguing vigilante.

One of Batman's challenging nemeses, Ra's al Ghul, is a psyche mastermind who devises elaborate schemes designed to promote 'fascist vigilantism.' Ra's is to Batman what Fortinbras was to Hamlet. I'd love to see David Duchovny play the antagonistic Ra's al Ghul on "Gotham" (Fox TV).

With positive reviews of "Gotham" (Fox TV) in so far, I'm going to start researching real-life cops/detectives who became 'famous' for taking down multiple crime-masters.

Chang Apana, for example, the legendary Honolulu detective, took down multiple nefarious gambling and narcotics-smuggling rings and was the inspiration for the fictional media detective character Charlie Chan, portrayed in various films, radio, and television programs from the 1920s to the 1940s.

:afro:

Street Justice - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

stryker.jpg

I agree with the above poster. I've watched the episodes and like the theme. It shows Wayne's dedication to finding the killer of his parents. It also shows the corruption what was - and may still be - a major part of city life. As one character said, "You can have cops without crime."

They should have changed the story completely.

Have the mugger shoot Bruce instead of the father.

The father goes vigilante and becomes batman.

Mother goes crazy and becomes the Joker.

Would have have been a great alternate history that would have made Gotham Unique.

There a great comic miniseries that was based around the idea. flashpoint maybe?

They should have changed the story completely.

Have the mugger shoot Bruce instead of the father.

The father goes vigilante and becomes batman.

Mother goes crazy and becomes the Joker.

Would have have been a great alternate history that would have made Gotham Unique.

There a great comic miniseries that was based around the idea. flashpoint maybe?

Didn't the villain Owl Man, from an alternate DC universe and recently transported to the main DC universe, have something like that happen? Bruce was killed, the father became an evil vigilante?

Revenge of the Nerds

This show is doing very handsomely, and I think it will fit nicely in today's mural of comic book adapted entertainment programs and likely also establish itself as the domain's 'go-to flashlight' for those getting into Batman for the first time.

I'd like to see "Gotham" (Fox TV) succeeding in hyping street-justice labor appreciation and doing for the NYPD (etc.) what Sherlock Holmes films did for Scotland Yard (UK).

The development of Edward Nygma (the future Riddler) continues to satisfy.

:arrow:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulp_magazine

hq.jpg

Think the networks are wasting their money making new series for commercial tv. Commercials are too frequent, too many, and totally disrupt any storytelling in the show. Wanna make something major like this do it for the premium channels like Starz or something. Putting it on reg tv is a waste of effort.

Didn't the villain Owl Man, from an alternate DC universe and recently transported to the main DC universe, have something like that happen? Bruce was killed, the father became an evil vigilante?

Well, two different things.

One was that on Earth-3, Bruce Wayne's brother Thomas became the evil criminal Owl-Man.

In the comic "Flashpoint", Thomas Wayne Senior survives the attack and becomes an evil Batman in an alternative reality caused by the Flash trying to reset the timeline.

AAAAAHHHHHH COMIC NERD ALERT!!!!!

Comicbookguy.gif

Think the networks are wasting their money making new series for commercial tv. Commercials are too frequent, too many, and totally disrupt any storytelling in the show. Wanna make something major like this do it for the premium channels like Starz or something. Putting it on reg tv is a waste of effort.
for Gotham?.....

Spoilers....

Tonights episode shows real promise...they did not p.c. Bruce Wayne fighting the bully by making him sob and whine about not enjoying defeating the kid....and Alfred....finally....when he explains to the beaten bully the consequences and how he stands by them....great....there is a lot of promise in this show....I hope they don't screw it up like the guys did to Blacklist....

Wanna make something major like this do it for the premium channels like Starz or something.

It would be good to see a superhero show on a cable network...the only problem would be adding sex every 5 seconds....not that I am against it...it's just kind of silly when you know they are just throwing it in where it isn't called for or necessary...

Did you know Netflix is doing superhero shows....they are doing Daredevil, and a couple of others...that will be interesting and may be what you are looking for....

Spoilers....

Tonights episode shows real promise...they did not p.c. Bruce Wayne fighting the bully by making him sob and whine about not enjoying defeating the kid....and Alfred....finally....when he explains to the beaten bully the consequences and how he stands by them....great....there is a lot of promise in this show....I hope they don't screw it up like the guys did to Blacklist....

Wow, so essentially, Alfred is training Bruce to grow up to be sociopath, and you think this is great character development.

Don't worry, next week they are shoe-horning Two-Face into the story. So in this universe, all of Batman's villains are going to be like Old People when he finally becomes Batman.

Forum List

Back