"Gotham" (Fox TV)

Discussion in 'TV Forum' started by Abishai100, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Abishai100

Abishai100 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    This fall, the Batman (DC Comics) adapted TV series "Gotham" (Fox TV) will premiere.

"Gotham" (Fox TV) will present origin storylines of the famous caped crusader Batman as the young boy Bruce Wayne scarred by the murder of his parents and attempting to mature into his role as an aristocrat in Gotham City and finding his way towards republic-minded vigilantism while various nihilistic super-villains such as Penguin (a crime-master with a taste for blood) and Poison Ivy (an eco-terrorist who is anything but democratic) rise to power.

This TV series reflects a modern demand for entertainment that represents society fascination with lifestyle thrills.

When the controversial American white supremacist David Duke went on national TV in the 1990s and voiced his incendiary opinions about racial profiling, people took notice of the power that modern media has in creating discussion about the merging of politics and street talk.

Well, "Gotham" (Fox TV) reveals today's social interest in politics-oriented comic book stylized art talk avatars such as the 'heretical' eco-activist Poison Ivy.

Watching "Gotham" (Fox TV) just might make you think about Poison Ivy and recycling those pesky plastic water bottles in your consumerism skeleton closet.

I can seriously see this show becoming an American achievement.

"Gotham" (Fox TV) could be as spellbinding as the popular Green Arrow (the incredible super-archer) comic book adapted TV series "Arrow" (CW TV).

:eusa_boohoo:

Gotham on FOX

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  2. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,362
    Is this going to be "Smallville" for Batman?

Ugh.

3. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,878
    I don't think it is. From what I've read this focuses more on Jim Gordon, with Wayne and the villains playing secondary roles.

Plus, it's not on the WB/UPN/CW. :lol:

4. LA RAM FAN

LA RAM FAN Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,368

5. shart_attack

shart_attack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,344
    Looks dumb as hell to me.

Most shows based on comic book heroes/ heroines are.

6. Harry Dresden

Harry Dresden Adamantium Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,614
    depends on how well they are done.....

7. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,362
    Well, I just watched the premiere.

They managed to shoehorn in "prequel" versions of not only Batman, but the Penguin, Poison Ivy, Catwoman, The Riddler and the Joker. I'm surprised they didn't have Two-Face in a pre-law class. They also included minor normal characters like Rene Montoya and Harvey Bullock.

So this is like a "prequel" to the Nolan Batman who exists in a universe where no one has super powers.

Hey, bonus round. Alfred Pennysworth is played by Sean Pertwee, who is the son of Jon Pertwee, or as we better know him, the Third Doctor.

8. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,878
    Holy crap did they shoehorn in characters. I'm hoping that is not going to be a regular thing in the show, too many Batman characters forced into unnecessary scenes.

Not a great premier, but I'll give it some more episodes, it wasn't horrible.

It did focus on Gordon, at least. :lol:

9. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,165
    Damn, I missed it. I'm sure they'll replay it, though.

I meant to watch it, the concept reminds me of the Batman: Year One graphic novel, which also focused on a young Gordon.

10. Abishai100

Abishai100 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Street Lights

After watching the first two episodes of "Gotham" (Fox TV), I find that it is comparable to "Arrow" (The CW) and arguably has the potential to be as good as "Smallville" (WB, CW).

In fact, I think with the colorful introductions of ominous henchmen, "Gotham" (Fox TV) is offering audiences Batman's own stamp and perhaps separating it from Superman lore (perhaps prepping America nicely for the upcoming Superman vs. Batman film). I really liked Lili Taylor and Frank Whaley's insidious characters from Episode 2, "Selina Kyle" (09/29/2014).

What really sets apart Batman from Superman and other comic book heroes such as Green Arrow is its conscious focus on the psychological aspects of vigilantism. Modern age populism politics gave rise to street justice talk and the cultural popularity of the Hell's Angels and Hollywood (USA) films such as "Maniac Cop" (1988) added fuel to the fire.

Batman is in many ways the comic book world's most intriguing vigilante.

One of Batman's challenging nemeses, Ra's al Ghul, is a psyche mastermind who devises elaborate schemes designed to promote 'fascist vigilantism.' Ra's is to Batman what Fortinbras was to Hamlet. I'd love to see David Duchovny play the antagonistic Ra's al Ghul on "Gotham" (Fox TV).

With positive reviews of "Gotham" (Fox TV) in so far, I'm going to start researching real-life cops/detectives who became 'famous' for taking down multiple crime-masters.

Chang Apana, for example, the legendary Honolulu detective, took down multiple nefarious gambling and narcotics-smuggling rings and was the inspiration for the fictional media detective character Charlie Chan, portrayed in various films, radio, and television programs from the 1920s to the 1940s.

:afro:

Street Justice - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

stryker.jpg

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1