GOP Budget 'Priorities'...and Social Values

Nothing can be perfect, I agree. But, regardless of the astronomical amount of money we've spent on national security, our ports remain unprotected, we have open borders, and it's not too far fetched to believe that terrorists live here among us. Are we safe? The answer is no, not in the least.
If we did nothing, we'd be less safe. Which is why I agree with you. Obama has done squat and we're more vulnerable now then at any point in the past 5 years.

However, that does not mean we stop trying or stop working to change priorities.
Nope, giving up is a huge NO-NO, I agree. But, we're not safe, and I wonder why since we've spent $Zillions on national security. Just doesn't make sense to me.

We've spent zillions on The Great Society as well... and haven't much to show for it... yet many claim we just need to spend more. Looka, I believe ALL these programs, including defense need revamping and can probably be safely cut to some extent. Some could probably be eliminated.
I agree.

The problem is you have defense contractors hooked on their $$$... you have an entire underclass hooked on their government freebies.... and on and on. You start cutting back on these things.... there's going to be hell to pay... and votes lost.
The horror................

The horror...........................

Republicans don't plan to adhere to most of its cuts in follow-up legislation, however.

A classic political trial balloon.

Cowards.

Obamacare should be nuked. Its a fucking disaster. The reporting requirements alone are almost impossible. Even MS can't keep up with it through their ERP product line.

What is the Democrat proposal to cut the budget deficit, which is at record levels? Oh yeah, spend more money. It's always like this. Dems complain about spending but never want to do anything about it.

What is the Democrat proposal to cut the budget deficit, which is at record levels? Oh yeah, spend more money. It's always like this. Dems complain about spending but never want to do anything about it.

In all fairness, the GOP isn't much better... but at least some on the GOP side acknowledge there is a problem. But the Dems, almost to man seem to not even regard $60,000,000,000,000 in debt and unfunded liabilities as an issue.

That is amazing.

So – building roads to nowhere are jobs programs but bombs and aircraft are not….

I think you're referring to "bridges-to-nowhere"....If that is so, check with the GOP in Alaska.
Deflection.
Is pointing at the GOP and screaming bogyman all you have.

Not really "deflection"....The question is simple...as is the answer:

Do we need more aircraft carriers OR do we need to fix our ports, airports, roads, bridges and waterways?

let's cut the regulatory burden on Commerce known as our alleged wars on crime, drugs, poverty, and terror.
Well, we can cut two of those four....the other two are requirements for a safe society.
Are we safe?
Safer than if we did nothing. Expecting a perfect solution is a long wait for a train that don't never come.
Nothing can be perfect, I agree. But, regardless of the astronomical amount of money we've spent on national security, our ports remain unprotected, we have open borders, and it's not too far fetched to believe that terrorists live here among us. Are we safe? The answer is no, not in the least.
If we did nothing, we'd be less safe. Which is why I agree with you. Obama has done squat and we're more vulnerable now then at any point in the past 5 years.

However, that does not mean we stop trying or stop working to change priorities.
What should he have done? After taking out Bin Laden?

Well, we can cut two of those four....the other two are requirements for a safe society.
Are we safe?
Safer than if we did nothing. Expecting a perfect solution is a long wait for a train that don't never come.

What should he have done? After taking out Bin Laden?
"After Taking Out Bin Laden"? ----- We should've taken out all of our soldiers, never to return. The Middle East is a "no-win" situation, and will always be a "no-win" situation. We should mind our own business until threatened. We should use the money and resources here at home. Political wars are stupid, costly, and deadly.

[/QUOTE]
You don't spend government money to create jobs. That is your whole problem right there.

Cut regulations and remove government from the free market and jobs will be created.[/QUOTE]

Certainly....When should we expect for Staples to begin fixing Interstate 40 or dredging the Los Angeles port?

I mean FDR was way off the mark, correct?

You don't spend government money to create jobs. That is your whole problem right there.

Cut regulations and remove government from the free market and jobs will be created.[/QUOTE]

Certainly....When should we expect for Staples to begin fixing Interstate 40 or dredging the Los Angeles port?

I mean FDR was way off the mark, correct?[/QUOTE]

Well, considering his policies prolonged the GD for about seven years, yes. WAAAAYYYY off.

Don't forget about high speed trains that nobody is asking for.

...in other words we DO NOT need any infrastructure improvements, but we DO need another nuclear submarine to fight insurgents in Yemen's deserts........Do I have that right?

What we need are the right infrastructure improvements, but those are best done at the state level. States handle mass transit, the feds handle defense, and that's the way its supposed to be.

Until the Russians and the Chinese get rid of their navies, we need submarines. And to a lesser extent Iran.

Is there an arms race?
It seems the US is running the arms race against the US.

0053_defense-comparison-crop.gif

Here's an example of how big lobbying money is at the center of blame and how our priorities are not only wasteful, but actually dangerous for our well-being:

When we pulled our troops out of Iraq (and here, forget the old debate whether we should have or not).....we decided to leave the billions of armaments and hardware that we shipped there in 2003 and beyond.....

WHY?????

The answer is a cynical one......U.S. armaments manufacturers "bribed" congress to leave that stuff there so that these manufacturers could build MORE and charge taxpayers accordingly......

This was not only wasteful, but provided insurgents in that country with billions of weaponry, etc. which they're using against us and others.

Sooooo, because of lobbyists' "gifts" to our honorable congress, we basically and royally paid for the rope to hang us with.

Although I'm NOT in full agreement with this quirky adage, there is much wisdom in this....(lets bear it in mind.)

10306245_472019476278832_5016119522359191296_n.jpg

Another thought that we should always keep in mind: The only jobs that CANNOT be outsourced are those jobs devoted to rebuilding our own infrastructure.

Forum List

Back