Goodbye Religious Freedom

no, it is not that cut and dry....it could be the doctor does believe, for RELIGIOUS REASONS, that homosexual relationships are not Biblically, or whatever the religion's belief, sound relationships to bring forth a child in....they could truely believe that doing such, would be religiously unsound for them.....offering the paid referal of another doc who does not object should satisfy BOTH, without harming either.

why would this couple even WANT a surgeon near them that religiously objects?

did they SET THIS UP, for the lawsuit? sure seems like it....

care

It seems like that is the case that they made ... they argued their side and lost ... IMO rightfully so ... if you opine otherwise so be it ... IMO to decide otherwise would allow other services denied to homosexuals because of one's religious beliefs ... that's a huge can of worm to be opened.

To your latter questions ... I wouldn't be surprised at all ... often times that is a way of exposing discrimition to get it heard in court.

The harm is you are setting a bad precedent ... if a doctor can refuse a service because of one's sexuality because someone else is willing to do it ... then other services can be denied to groups by groups ... because other groups are willing to provide that service ... and so on ... and so forth.

Discrimination is practiced all the time. Do you have any idea how many ways there are of telling someone " NO " without telling them the truth ? Unfortunately these silly doctors had to wear their religion on their sleeves and were sitting ducks for a couple of lesbians who found out about it.

Discrimination is practiced all the time. Do you have any idea how many ways there are of telling someone " NO " without telling them the truth ? Unfortunately these silly doctors had to wear their religion on their sleeves and were sitting ducks for a couple of lesbians who found out about it.

You saying this tells me that you realize it was a mistake and wrong for the doctors to cite their religous beliefs as a reason for denial.

It seems like that is the case that they made ... they argued their side and lost ... IMO rightfully so ... if you opine otherwise so be it ... IMO to decide otherwise would allow other services denied to homosexuals because of one's religious beliefs ... that's a huge can of worm to be opened.

To your latter questions ... I wouldn't be surprised at all ... often times that is a way of exposing discrimition to get it heard in court.

It isn't a huge can of worms at all. Private citizens in private practice can pick and choose whoever they wish to and not to provide services for.

I could even see if it was a life-saving measure and the physician refused to render aid. You would have a point.

The decision is NOT right. This is an elective proccedure and the physicians in private practice. It is clearly a case of government interfering with individual liberty, not upholding it.

These physicians are not denying anyone the right to artificial insemination. They are refusing to perform the procedure themselves. The difference is OBVIOUS.

The physicians are however being denied their First Amendment Right to exercise the religion of their choice.

Ridiculous. Religious beliefs are protected by the constitution. There is no right to artificial insemination in the Constitution, and there is no right in the Constitution that allows for the discrimination against religious beliefs in favor of someone's belief in aberrant sexual behavior.

i can see that, but i can see a difference in this particular situation where a child is involved because i have witnessed religious people speak/think in this manner, like the doctors....and sincerely believe it....to be anti their beliefs....and the referal to another doctor seems like it could have accomodated both consciences.

i do not in any way see how this situation, if it had been determined in the doc's favor, would have made this be the ''right'' of a restaurant owner to refuse service for religious reasons to anyone...there are no religious reasons that could or would compare to this type of thing with the docs...imo....they did recommend/refer another doctor that would provide the elective surgery....

to me, the lesbian couple had an ''agenda'' from the beginning, which is their right i suppose, but lessons my compassion in this situation....i think....

care

It isn't a huge can of worms at all. Private citizens in private practice can pick and choose whoever they wish to and not to provide services for.

I could even see if it was a life-saving measure and the physician refused to render aid. You would have a point.

The decision is NOT right. This is an elective proccedure and the physicians in private practice. It is clearly a case of government interfering with individual liberty, not upholding it.

These physicians are not denying anyone the right to artificial insemination. They are refusing to perform the procedure themselves. The difference is OBVIOUS.

The physicians are however being denied their First Amendment Right to exercise the religion of their choice.

As of now he law disagrees with your opinion.

They are trying to hide behind their first Ammendment right so that they may discriminate against group because of their sexuality ... and if this goes to a higher court they will lose ... again.

Why the hell don't the lesbos just get lesbo doctors to do the procedure? I mean, it isn't like it's that rare or difficult a procedure, in and of itself.....

The 2 Doctors in question did in fact send them to other doctors in the SAME organization that would do the procedure.

These doctors had no more right to discriminate against lesbians than do pharmacists who refuse to fill prescriptions for birth control or day after pills.

Wrong. A pharmacy has no right to refuse service to someone with a valid prescription, these doctors do ELECTIVE procedures AND they provided other doctors in the same office to do said procedure.

i can see that, but i can see a difference in this particular situation where a child is involved because i have witnessed religious people speak/think in this manner, like the doctors....and sincerely believe it....to be anti their beliefs....and the referal to another doctor seems like it could have accomodated both consciences.

i do not in any way see how this situation, if it had been determined in the doc's favor, would have made this be the ''right'' of a restaurant owner to refuse service for religious reasons to anyone...there are no religious reasons that could or would compare to this type of thing with the docs...imo....they did recommend/refer another doctor that would provide the elective surgery....

to me, the lesbian couple had an ''agenda'' from the beginning, which is their right i suppose, but lessons my compassion in this situation....i think....

care

This does have an impact on me ... to me, it says they aren't malicious in their discrimination ... I don't think these doctors are bad guys or anything like that.

I'm not versed in the Bible but I'm willing to bet that there isn't anything that specifically says they can't perform this in the Bible ... plus there are hundreds perhaps thousands of other Christian doctors who have no issue with performing the procedure every day ... it makes the "against my religion" argument weak.

So they can either comply, kick a can, or appeal to a higher court ... that's how these things work.

And yet weren't you JUST arguing that the Republicans in Pennsylvania were wrong for trying to get Barr off the ticket? I suggest you REREAD what you WROTE here and apply it across the board.

And yet weren't you JUST arguing that the Republicans in Pennsylvania were wrong for trying to get Barr off the ticket? I suggest you REREAD what you WROTE here and apply it across the board.

No decision has been handed down in the Barr case yet ... all I did was give my opinion on what the decision should be ...

You did more than that.

Yeah ... and I called out the GOP for being scumbags, trying to manipulate the justice system in an effort to disenfranchise Libertarian voters.

I don't know what that has to do with my opinion on this case of sexual discrimination.

Forum List

Back