Go to Church, Support Torture

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by catzmeow, May 1, 2009.

1. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
    Survey: Support for terror suspect torture differs among the faithful - CNN.com

I wonder what the connection is. I'm seriously baffled as to how a follower of Christ could justify this, morally or ethically. Torture is so antithetically opposed to the message of Jesus.

Consider Matthew chapter 25, where Christ says several times:

"When you've done it unto the least of these, my brethren, you've done it unto me..."

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: May 1, 2009
  2. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    good verse but they ignore it....i assure you i have posted to it before...it is simply repression...sexually etc....to follow the good book you gotz to be good....repress all that human nature and shit happens...its like..they are bad i can delight in their death..their torture etc...

but then i am just a leftists liberal who does not believe in their ways...so what do i know

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,982
    What a crock of steaming shit. An unscientific poll proves nothing but you people just LOVE to bash religion and especially Christians. Do I need to remind you I have a 1st Amendment RIGHT to believe in any religion I CHOSE? And you do not get to rabble rouse to remove that right.

Good leftist, indeed. You mean Godless heathen that shits on religion every chance you get?

My experience on this and other boards is the left is real hot to attack Christian religion but also even QUICKER to defend the hate filled murderous religion of the Muslims. Hell they are opposed to religion in school, no praying allowed, even a moment of silence is bad, BUT they willingly demand and support special rooms during Ramadan for Muslims in schools DURING school hours. They support at least one PUBLIC Religious school that is run by Islam in this country and enforces prayer during and after school hours, no problem at all.

4. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    and that rant was directed at whom? i never said good leftist now did i?

5. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
    What exactly about the poll did you find so unscientific? It was conducted by Pew, who is a very well-respected firm in the area of religious research.

Here is more about it:
    I don't believe anyone is trying to remove your right to worship and/or associate with anyone you wish, Gy. I think the issue for me, at least, as someone who grew up as a Southern Baptist, and taught Sunday School for more than a dozen years, is how people can theologically justify torture in their own minds, based upon the message of Christ.

6. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    I don't really think a survey gets at the truth of this issue.

A. Ask most people whether they're opposed to torture - and they'll say yes.

B. Ask them whether they see the torture of terror suspects as justifiable if it saves the lives of hundreds - and you've led them into a grey area where their answer may differ.

C. Ask them whether the torture of people who are known to have participated in terrorist attacks whether torture is justified if it may get them to reveal who else took part in planning and executing the attack - and you may get a different answer again.

It has everything to do with the way the question is worded. A lot of people who view themselves as Christians and who would normally want to do what they see as "the right thing" (example A) may struggle with the issue if it is presented to them under circumstances that are not normal (example B or C).

You can't just write off Christians as hypocrites if they struggle with concepts like this. They may be Christians, but they are also human. Humans have emotions and this is a hugely emotive issue. Nobody's perfect.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,974

You are so right, GYS.

I'm the first one on the board to jump in and defend Islam.

:cuckoo:

8. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
    For the record, I am NOT writing off Christians as hypocrites. I understand that lots of people would struggle with this issue.

I just wonder, as someone who grew up in the church, taught sunday school, and was a true believer (tm) what churches are teaching exactly these days. It seems to me like some of them have gotten off-message. And, it appears to be a denominational issue. The mainline denominations appear to strongly reject the use of torture, but the evangelicals appear to embrace it.

9. tigerbob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    The quarter that say it is never justified might struggle to retain that view if they were personally impacted by it.

I personally don't support the death penalty, but if my mother was murdered I might change my view, whatever the teachings of Christ are. I recognize that about myself. But if asked the question in a survey, would I answer based on how I feel now, or would I try to put myself in the position described? If the latter, my answer to the same question would probably be different.

10. tigerbob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    I didn't think you were. Perhaps I should have used the word "One" instead of "You". My bad.