Glorifying the single mother?

Has anyone noticed in the last few years, the glorifying of the single mother? At least once a day my Facebook feed shows yet another "single mothers are superheroes" or some such thing.

Why?

Single mothers= women who choose poor life partners.

What is with the attempt to turn caring for your own child into some sort of special achievement? :confused:

after my father died, my mom was a single mother of six.

did she choose a poor life partner?

That wasn't what she meant, but of course, you already knew that.

I never said we should trash single mothers, and I never said they were to blame for divorce. I said if you're a single mother, you choose poorly in a father for your child.

However, I don't think we should be holding up the status of single parent as something wonderful or that caring for your own child as something special.

Or the father chose a poor mother. Don't automatically assume that the man was the bad half of the apple here.

i would say 100% of marriages come without guarantees

Agreed, but more and more of them seem to be failing as time goes on and what of the single parents who were never married to begin with? That number is rapidly increasing and is one of the top causes of "poverty" in America.

Right? I guess some people get too upset when single mothers proceed with a positive approach to difficult circumstances by offering each other daily encouragement and support. Damn all those evil women to hell lest they "glorify" themselves! :mad:

:uhoh3:

I think you're missing the OPs point. I'm also wondering if you are a single mother since you happen to be taking a lot of offense to her viewpoint.

This thread is a great example of my point.

Suggest that a child having only 1 parent is not something to aspire to, and the uproar is ridiculous. I don't think we should shame or demonize single parents, simply that in an attempt to take the shame out of it, we have swung too far and that we forget that being a single parent is not a good family model.

Right? I guess some people get too upset when single mothers proceed with a positive approach to difficult circumstances by offering each other daily encouragement and support. Damn all those evil women to hell lest they "glorify" themselves! :mad:

I think you're missing the OPs point. I'm also wondering if you are a single mother since you happen to be taking a lot of offense to her viewpoint.

Make up whatever you want, Bro... I got the big "point".

FTR - I'm guessing the OP probably isn't even a woman, so there you go! :razz:

Has anyone noticed in the last few years, the glorifying of the single mother? At least once a day my Facebook feed shows yet another "single mothers are superheroes" or some such thing.

Why?

What is with the attempt to turn caring for your own child into some sort of special achievement? :confused:

Why?

Well being a single mother is really hard, having to do everything by yourself with kids.

I never said we should trash single mothers, and I never said they were to blame for divorce. I said if you're a single mother, you choose poorly in a father for your child.
However, I don't think we should be holding up the status of single parent as something wonderful or that caring for your own child as something special.

Thats true in some cases but not all the time, I know several women whos husband have died in Iraq and Afghanistan, I don't think they chose poorly in the father of their children.

Ha! Not only am I a crazy rightwinger, but I must not own a vagina if I think children deserve 2 parents and that single mothers don't deserve a medal for getting knocked up? :lmao:

Aaah putting words in mouths and playing make-pretend is SO much fun!!! :eusa_clap:

Thats true in some cases but not all the time, I know several women whos husband have died in Iraq and Afghanistan, I don't think they chose poorly in the father of their children.

:eusa_wall:

:eusa_wall:

I know, I know. lol

There has definitely been a disconnect by a few on what the OP is offering here.

Women attacking women always pisses me off.

Attacking women? :badgrin: It's a freakin' discussion board discussing a premise not attacking actual people.

Dammit, how dare we not applaud those people who make babies with known deadbeats, sometimes over and over.

Trophies for everyone!! Woo Hoo.

This thread is a great example of my point.

Suggest that a child having only 1 parent is not something to aspire to, and the uproar is ridiculous. I don't think we should shame or demonize single parents, simply that in an attempt to take the shame out of it, we have swung too far and that we forget that being a single parent is not a good family model.

It is usually better than the alternative.

Maybe you should have titled your thread Glorifying the Single Slut Mother? Because when you have to qualify it it takes away from your point.

Let me break this down for the confused.

Being a single mother or father does not grant you automatic "hero status".

Let's just take parenting on a case by case basis and not presume any parent is a "hero" simply because the "single" parent chose a runaway/absentee dad or mom as the sperm and egg donor.

Forum List

Back