Glorifying the single mother?

I think we need to bring back the old T-shirts that said "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"......

Neither one of us NEEEDS the other. But we sure do WANT to be with one another. : ))

And that is why I think I get what Amy is saying here about FB posts. I have seen the same and it just is laughable calling some of these women "heroes" when they made some pretty dumb ass choices about who to make their baby's Daddy.

I am not concerned about dumb choices with the daddies I am concerned about the choices that will be made after the child is born.

Two things to attempt to rehabilitate this OP is senseless. Also, FB is a whole lotta nonsense.

I think the topic is a valid one even without the FB aspect. The trouble is the potentially poor choices made after the child is born would not be a factor if the better choices were made before the child is conceived. In the end all most of us want is to see children raised by good parents, hopefully both parents.

"Glorifying the single mother?" a valid topic? Being the primary caregiver since the moment my son was born I can tell you glory means shit. It is getting into the nitty gritty of parenting, being exhausted, making lifestyle tradeoffs making sure that boy has what he needs emotionally, nutritionally, socially, educationally the list is endless. When I hear a glint of sarcasm, especially a day that ended late while being a den leader and building a car I say keep the sarcastic nonsense and give me a soft pillow.

So I must have chosen a poor partner? Life hands you a bag of shit sometimes and it is up to me to make things work. Glorify my ass, I have a responsibility that is renewed every single day to be "present" for my son no matter how I am feeling, no matter what. I would like to say I have my family of origin to help but I do not. This is reality not some bullshit on FB. It is about commitment, love and giving of one's self. When I put my head on my pillow and go over my day I would not change a single thing.

I am not concerned about dumb choices with the daddies I am concerned about the choices that will be made after the child is born.

Two things to attempt to rehabilitate this OP is senseless. Also, FB is a whole lotta nonsense.

I think the topic is a valid one even without the FB aspect. The trouble is the potentially poor choices made after the child is born would not be a factor if the better choices were made before the child is conceived. In the end all most of us want is to see children raised by good parents, hopefully both parents.

"Glorifying the single mother?" a valid topic? Being the primary caregiver since the moment my son was born I can tell you glory means shit. It is getting into the nitty gritty of parenting, being exhausted, making lifestyle tradeoffs making sure that boy has what he needs emotionally, nutritionally, socially, educationally the list is endless. When I hear a glint of sarcasm, especially a day that ended late while being a den leader and building a car I say keep the sarcastic nonsense and give me a soft pillow.

So I must have chosen a poor partner? Life hands you a bag of shit sometimes and it is up to me to make things work. Glorify my ass, I have a responsibility that is renewed every single day to be "present" for my son no matter how I am feeling, no matter what. I would like to say I have my family of origin to help but I do not. This is reality not some bullshit on FB. It is about commitment, love and giving of one's self. When I put my head on my pillow and go over my day I would not change a single thing.

As I have stated I am addressing solely people I know in my life, not you or your life Connery.

I get your point and was never addressing you personally and never would.

By the way,many of us know about sacrifice, selfless parenting done for the love of a child.

As I have stated I am addressing solely people I know in my life, not you or your life Connery.

I get your point and was never addressing you personally and never would.

By the way,many of us know about sacrifice, selfless parenting done for the love of a child.

Of course, I am not suggesting otherwise. Nevertheless, my premise is still the same, the woman who attempts to bamboozle a man into parenthood is being manipulative and calculating and is not a responsible parent.

What I think is funny is people you push for a women to keep the child, then judge her for being a single mom.

I don't see any reason to glorify or stigmatize single mothers. However, I think that single mothers and irresponsible fathers who expect others to pay for their offspring decidedly objectionable. I would not find a government incentive-laden sterilization program for women who have more than 3 welfare-dependent children immoral or objectionable.

I dont think the OP wishes to demonize single parents. Amynation is questioning if the daily parade is necessary.

I guess they need that extra boost to keep going. I am surprised they have time for facebook.

Has anyone noticed in the last few years, the glorifying of the single mother? At least once a day my Facebook feed shows yet another "single mothers are superheroes" or some such thing.

Why?

Single mothers= women who choose poor life partners.

What is with the attempt to turn caring for your own child into some sort of special achievement? :confused:

Single mums don't always choose poor life partners. Have you ever thought the person they believed was their soul mate was actually a piece of shit who walked out on them the second they became pregnant?

Has anyone noticed in the last few years, the glorifying of the single mother? At least once a day my Facebook feed shows yet another "single mothers are superheroes" or some such thing.

Why?

What is with the attempt to turn caring for your own child into some sort of special achievement? :confused:

Single mums don't always choose poor life partners. Have you ever thought the person they believed was their soul mate was actually a piece of shit who walked out on them the second they became pregnant?
Still, a poor choice obviously. What is your point in response to the above?

Why?

Isn't my point obvious? That the OP is wrong in saying that single women choose poor life partners.

It starts with my own personal experience. I could post the fb pic that finally broke the camels back so to speak, and I could post the million and one other pics and things hailing single mothers that pop up on my fb feed if it will make you feel better.
Please do.

24699497926786274_IWZY5GTz_b.jpg
I see that more as a pep talk.

I'm not a single mother and I am very thankful that I'm not. I can't imagine a harder job.

Isn't my point obvious? That the OP is wrong in saying that single women choose poor life partners.
And you are countering the OP with the highlighted above?!:confused: Maybe you think the OP should have said baby-daddies?

I am just saying it is wrong to say women made poor life choices - half the time it wasn't there fault the man they chose was a douche bag.

I dont think the OP wishes to demonize single parents. Amynation is questioning if the daily parade is necessary.

I guess they need that extra boost to keep going. I am surprised they have time for facebook.

Exactly.

It's when it's held up as an achievement that concerns me. The look at me, I'm an amazing person because I make sure my child is fed every day.

No decent man abandons his child.

Why?

Its not just with single moms. Parts of our society see the need for positive reinforcement with regards to just about everything. While this by itself is not bad, it is the subsequent taboo on pointing out certain life-choices can be detrimental that causes problems in my opinion.

Everyone gets a trophy syndrome?

That sums it up rather nicely, yes.

Exactly.

It's when it's held up as an achievement that concerns me. The look at me, I'm an amazing person because I make sure my child is fed every day.
Sometimes it is an achievement.

Exactly.

Sometimes it is an achievement.

Right? I guess some people get too upset when single mothers proceed with a positive approach to difficult circumstances by offering each other daily encouragement and support. Damn all those evil women to hell lest they "glorify" themselves! :mad:

:uhoh3:

Forum List

Back