Glorifying the single mother?

Valid observation.

What I want to add is that I know one girl I greatly admire. Pregnant at 18, lots of help from family. Baby father is a jerk and father of convenience. When he can he shows up to be a Dad. Good times only of course. She works and goes to school and is raising a beautiful young girl of seven now. I truly admire her and I tell her so often. However she herself would tell you that her path has been a tough one. She is seeing a wonderful man now but she has never touted her single parent status as anything more than something she does because she loves her child. She said she wants better for her own child and hopes she one day avoids the same pitfalls.

She is one.

I can also think of several other women who are failing at the same situation for various reasons. They are no heroes to their children or the world. They are suckers and fools for crappy men, some more than once. One will not be certain of the paternity of her child until it is born. Single parents as heroes? Not always, anymore than all married parents are heroes and very few married parents get called heroes. They should for giving their children stability and both parents when possible.

The word "hero" is overused to the point of meaningless these days. But are you making an assuption that a single-parent home is less stable?

I would argue that is not always the case. In some cases a divorce is what provides a more stable home.

I agree it is overused. And no I make no assumptions and that is exactly what I am addressing here. The assumption that a single parent is automatically a hero. As I stated, take parenting on a case by case basis.

I agree with you here. Case-by-case is a good rule of thumb for virtually everything. (But I do apply case-by-case analysis on a case-by-case basis).

I never said we should trash single mothers, and I never said they were to blame for divorce. I said if you're a single mother, you choose poorly in a father for your child.

However, I don't think we should be holding up the status of single parent as something wonderful or that caring for your own child as something special.

See? By even pointing out the concept, you are being attacked by someone from the left.

You might have qualified you response to limit it to single mothers who give birth to kids without even considering the need for a father post conception. That would limit your critique to those who create their own situation.

However people like truthmatters will still try to deamonize you because critisizing something a progressive beleives is a "protected group" is the equivalent of secular heresy.

plus it makes you a big meanie.

hijacked?

you mean unless we blow sunshine up her butt and pretend she's correct, the thread is being hijacked?

i'd suggest that it's an intentionally provocative thread intended to troll for responses.

What I have noticed is the gloryifing of unwed mothers.
Not a good thing.
We had lots less of them when they were an embaressment.

i would agree with this.

I have no issue with someone trying to make an unwed mother feel better about herself, after all a person with self worth will probably be a better parent, and the situation is what it is.

It becomes an issue when taken to an extreme, where even considering that, hey, maybe if you want to have a kid you need at least a "partner" and the means to provide for your offspring becomes being "mean."

yet you think the woman's reproductive choice should be abridged so that she has to carry a child to term whether she wants one or not.

maybe you can't have it both ways. (and let's not play the 'well she shouldn't have sex' game, ok... because that's silliness).

Single Mom's are the future of this country.
Traditional marriage is considered a joke...
Now the Democrat party is pushing gay marriage and single Mom's as the way to go..

I bet the Democrat party loves OCTOMOM....

that's as stupid as anything i've seen on this board.

thanks for the laugh.

but, please, tell us again how bristol is supposed to be the poster child for abstinence.

Now the Democrat party is pushing gay marriage and single Mom's as the way to go..

thanks for the laugh.

but, please, tell us again how bristol is supposed to be the poster child for abstinence.

:confused: Haven't you read any of mal's posts...???

thanks for the laugh.

:confused: Haven't you read any of mal's posts...???

Ooops, my bad... I thought you said it was The Stupidest. :lol:

Prevalence: Single motherhood is very common. Around half of today’s mothers will spend at least some time as the sole custodial parent.

Update: As of 2011, 11.7 million families in the US were headed by a single parent, 85.2% of which were headed by a female.1

Characteristics: Around 45% of single mothers have never married, around 55% are divorced, separated or widowed. Half have one child, 30% have two. About two fifths are White, one third Black, one quarter Hispanic. One quarter have a college degree, one sixth have not completed high school.

Single Mother Statistics

Don't let it bother you... Jillian exists in a perpetual state of pissed off and has this weird need to tell everybody what they are saying or thinking.

^ Ironic post is ironic. :lol:

Anything to say about single mothers being bad bad bad, Soggy? :popcorn:

Prevalence: Single motherhood is very common. Around half of today’s mothers will spend at least some time as the sole custodial parent.

Update: As of 2011, 11.7 million families in the US were headed by a single parent, 85.2% of which were headed by a female.1

Characteristics: Around 45% of single mothers have never married, around 55% are divorced, separated or widowed. Half have one child, 30% have two. About two fifths are White, one third Black, one quarter Hispanic. One quarter have a college degree, one sixth have not completed high school.

Single Mother Statistics

Why so many today?

Single Mother Statistics

Why so many today?

Because of all the sluts on welfare who glorify single motherhood on Facebook, silly! :razz:

Only having one parent is bad for children. Being a single mother isnt an achievement.

The point in all this is the odd thinking that because someone had sex and makes a baby and gets dumped early on or never even had an earnest healthy relationship with the sex partner that they get enrolled in some hero status for doing it alone. Weird. How about hero status for those who use BC sensibly and make babies with better partners. You know the kind that actually want to be a parent and are willing to behave with some sense of responsibility when a pregnancy occurs.

We Need To Stop Glorifying Single Mothers | Right Wing News

"Because most of us know single mothers, know how hard they’re working, and wish them well, we do what we can to support them and build them up. That’s very understandable and it undoubtedly does some good. However, because we’re constantly talking about how wonderful single mothers are, we’re also making the option look a lot less scary than it should be to young girls — and that’s a very bad thing for them and for society."

I figured someone out there would have said it better than me :)

Forum List

Back