Glorifying the single mother?

What can you expect when the Democrat party controls the education system...
They are teaching 11 year old's the proper way to put a condom on their partner.
Most of the girls laugh saying that Dad already showed them how...

What can you expect when the Democrat party controls the education system...
They are teaching 11 year old's the proper way to put a condom on their partner.
Most of the girls laugh saying that Dad already showed them how...

That is just a flat, irresponsible statement - with all due respect.

Gay marriage offers a two parent home, a family unit and stability.

I think saying families come in all sizes(which is the message I think most dems go for) is different than glorifying being a single mother. You shouldn't be proud that you had a one night stand, or a 3 month fling, with some guy and poped out a kid. That's not something to brag about. Since when is not abandoning your child to the state or your parents something special?

I would never suggest that single mothers should be shunned or feel shamed. However I don't think holding the status of single parent up as something special is good either.
If you really want to see the status of a single parent held up as something special, look at single fathers. I know this to be true because I lived it. Divorced couples where the mother had custody and the father was mostly absent was pretty common when I was a divorced father raising two daughters. The single mothers, teachers and daycare workers that I met through daycare, school, work, etc looked at me like a god (almost) for being one of those rare men that raised his children alone. I would even go so far as to say it was a double-standard with me on the benefitting end. The "mommy network" for single mothers can be pretty strong, when you are the only father in that network, it is amazing the respect a single father gets.
I'm not bragging, just telling you how it was for my situation.

I can see having respect for someone's struggles, however I feel as though, as a society the pendulum has swung too far. We've gone from shaming single mothers so much that women wore fake wedding rings, to holding up single mothers as a status symbol.

The problem with this thread is that it starts with an unproved assumption. Personally I cannot think of a single person I know who has ever glorified single moms either as praise or as pejorative. Sometimes things happen and sometimes some single people be they man or woman do marvelous work. Ain't nuttin wrong with that. Now if there are really more single moms let's put on our thinking caps and find out why. As for glorification as if this were a goal that is BS.

Has anyone noticed in the last few years, the glorifying of the single mother? At least once a day my Facebook feed shows yet another "single mothers are superheroes" or some such thing.

Why?

Single mothers= women who choose poor life partners.

What is with the attempt to turn caring for your own child into some sort of special achievement? :confused:

I think it is a plot to keep women from aborting, this glorification of motherhood.

Consistently being a good and responsible parent is one of the biggest challenges in life...it's also one of the most rewarding. I don't feel a particular need for any praise, but if offering support and recognition to some single parents means that it will lift them up, and in turn that giving spirit is passed on to their kids, well THAT is the most important thing.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
The problem with this thread is that it starts with an unproved assumption. Personally I cannot think of a single person I know who has ever glorified single moms either as praise or as pejorative. Sometimes things happen and sometimes some single people be they man or woman do marvelous work. Ain't nuttin wrong with that. Now if there are really more single moms let's put on our thinking caps and find out why. As for glorification as if this were a goal that is BS.

It starts with my own personal experience. I could post the fb pic that finally broke the camels back so to speak, and I could post the million and one other pics and things hailing single mothers that pop up on my fb feed if it will make you feel better.

It starts with my own personal experience. I could post the fb pic that finally broke the camels back so to speak, and I could post the million and one other pics and things hailing single mothers that pop up on my fb feed if it will make you feel better.
Please do.

I never said we should trash single mothers, and I never said they were to blame for divorce. I said if you're a single mother, you choose poorly in a father for your child.

However, I don't think we should be holding up the status of single parent as something wonderful or that caring for your own child as something special.

What should we be doing?

Who decides what should be done?

And how is that decision implemented and enforced?

Please do.

24699497926786274_IWZY5GTz_b.jpg

Has anyone noticed in the last few years, the glorifying of the single mother? At least once a day my Facebook feed shows yet another "single mothers are superheroes" or some such thing.

Why?

Single mothers= women who choose poor life partners.

What is with the attempt to turn caring for your own child into some sort of special achievement? :confused:

Its not just with single moms. Parts of our society see the need for positive reinforcement with regards to just about everything. While this by itself is not bad, it is the subsequent taboo on pointing out certain life-choices can be detrimental that causes problems in my opinion.

Everyone gets a trophy syndrome?

I never said we should trash single mothers, and I never said they were to blame for divorce. I said if you're a single mother, you choose poorly in a father for your child.

However, I don't think we should be holding up the status of single parent as something wonderful or that caring for your own child as something special.

That's a ridiculous statement. Indeed, single parent households have to work so much harder, just to get by. I think its incredibly wrong for us to judge those men and women because they ARE special.

Are you saying that single mothers and fathers CHOOSE that? If so, that's a very small percentage.

And, its very disturbing that you seem to be talking only about single mothers. Do the single fathers get a pass?

Have we really made no progress since this example of total R stupidity -

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUbXOIOvXow]re: Thought Catalog article: Dan Quayle/Murphy Brown/LA Riots. - YouTube[/ame]

What should we be doing?

Who decides what should be done?

And how is that decision implemented and enforced?

Are single parents supposed to dump their kids at the fire station? Would THAT be more responsible than working their butts off to support them?

I'm really not getting this thread at all.

How could we have anything BUT respect for the person who takes on the responsibility that their spouse walked out on, or, as in the case of military vets, died serving their country.

Kids are either precious or a burden on society.

I go with the former.

So do single mothers and fathers.

I just can't wrap my head around that being a bad thing.

What's really bizarre is that these people chose not to abort. Where are all the anti-choice people in this? Or, are they doing what they always do? Deserting the kid once its born.

That's a ridiculous statement. Indeed, single parent households have to work so much harder, just to get by. I think its incredibly wrong for us to judge those men and women because they ARE special.

Are you saying that single mothers and fathers CHOOSE that? If so, that's a very small percentage.

And, its very disturbing that you seem to be talking only about single mothers. Do the single fathers get a pass?

Have we really made no progress since this example of total R stupidity -

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUbXOIOvXow]re: Thought Catalog article: Dan Quayle/Murphy Brown/LA Riots. - YouTube[/ame]
1st I'm speaking of the majority, not the minority.

If your child only has one parent, than the other parent is obviously a poor choice, whether male or female.

I'm speaking specifically of single mothers because that is the message being promoted.

Forum List

Back