Gingrich Doubles Down On Child Labor: Poor Kids Should ‘Clean The Bathroom’

The problem here is that these nutters want to employ working class children so they can earn money to help their hard-working parents feed and clothe them.

There is no mention of wealthy children working in a similar manner.

I worked in Japan for several years......a couple of them in a Japanese High School. The students there spend a few minutes each day cleaning the classrooms and common areas.....including restrooms. They are not paid....and ALL students are involved, regardless of their economic status.

In every Japanese neighborhood......rich and poor alike meet up twice per year to tend to overgrown lots and clean up river banks, etc. Nobody is paid......but if you don't participate, you are expected to pay up in lieu of your labor.

That is how one is taught personal responsibility...........not by trading labor for food. Assholes.

There is nothing wrong with all the kids cleaning, but I'll bet you the ranch you would be first in line trying to stop it here in the USA...

Nobody said anything about trading labor for food...

Your bleeding heart BS will not teach personal responsibility to anyone...

How big is your ranch, bitch?

Jealousy much? Trash talk are for those with a limited vocabulary.

No....

John works in a mill because he has no skills to do anything but that...

That's why people go to school and learn a trade or a skill that someone wants. Its Johns fault that John works in a mill.

At 16......it is America's fault. Take responsibility.

What the fuck are you talking about?

At 7 I was growing a vegetable garden going door to door selling zucchini and I enjoyed it. I didn't even have a price - anything was cool to me...

I suppose the fact that I was happy, doing work and embracing capitalism was wrong?

I think you are completely missing the point of Gingrich's comments and why normal people have taken issue with them. We are not discussing a kid raking leaves or shovelling snow off of driveways for spending money.

Newt wants to employ kids for wages so they can help support their families......whose wages have stagnated for twenty years.......and AT THE SAME TIME take a swipe at public unions who negotiate living wages for fucking janitors. Wake the fuck up.

I went to school in the morning and worked a part-time job in the afternoons starting my junior year. Been working ever since some 40 some years.

not only helped myself, but helped my mother out.

Now I wonder how the hell I SURVIVED...lol

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with all the kids cleaning, but I'll bet you the ranch you would be first in line trying to stop it here in the USA...

Nobody said anything about trading labor for food...

Your bleeding heart BS will not teach personal responsibility to anyone...

How big is your ranch, bitch?

Jealousy much? Trash talk are for those with a limited vocabulary.

Odd reply. Are you feeling OK?

Echo, there's always a choice of tagging after gang members, too. Sweeping floors and cleaning sinks is not such a bad thing for 12-17 year olds. Did you ever get an allowance for chores at home? Bet these kids don't.

There would be a chance that these youngsters just may find a mentor in that janitor as well. I believe child labor laws keep kids out of factories for 16 hour days in lieu of going to school. Really a different thing altogether.

His saying "working-class students should be limited to jobs like cleaning bathrooms" doesn't sound like he has the best interest of these people at heart now, does it?

There is nothing wrong with ANY type of job, as long as they are working.....but working class students have a lot more to offer than 'just cleaning bathrooms'-wouldn't you agree?

Seriously, this is the level of analysis we should expect from a super mod? Can you go back and actually listen to the video embedded in the article? Where does Newt say "working class students should be limited to jobs like cleaning bathrooms"? He NEVER says that. What you're quoting is the absurd interpretation of the writer of the article.

Watch the video and get back to us. Right now you look incredibly stupid. He is merely floating that kids without money and few other options be allowed the OPTION to work in school to make some money in a positive way. The way you've conflated what he is saying sinks to the level of an rdean or truthmatters. And members wonder why this board is just a fucking hackathon.

What you people who are defending Newt and his words seem to keep conveniently leaving out is what he said:

working-class students should be limited to jobs like cleaning bathrooms

He thinks kids from the "working class" should only clean bathrooms and such.

He's an elitist and a snob, and I can't believe some of you are defending what he said.

I went to school in the morning and worked a part-time job in the afternoons starting my junior year. Been working ever since some 40 some years.

It isn't about survival, dummy.

I assume your mother worked hard? Shouldn't she have earned enough to NOT NEED YOUR HELP?

It isn't about survival, dummy.

I assume your mother worked hard? Shouldn't she have earned enough to NOT NEED YOUR HELP?

wow, you are quite the jerk.

Who here wouldn't went jack(10 year old) and jenny(12 year old) cleaning our bathrooms? Or maybe 15 year old john mowing our lawns? O'hell, how about 16 year old frank working in one of our coal mines, which powers are cities. All for money of course and of course this would free us of relying on the illegals ever again. I think it is more morally right to do it this way with our kids getting paid minimum wage or more.

In my lifetime, 12 year old Jenny was the neighborhood baby sitter. 15 year old John not only mowed lawns but was the paperboy too. 16 year old frank was working at the gas station after school back when we had service gas stations. Ten year old Jack took care of the chores around the house.

When did we develop the idea the a child that works was a bad thing? How did that happen? The concept of once a child washes a dish, the next step is the salt mines started somewhere. Where?

At 16......it is America's fault. Take responsibility.

At 7 I was growing a vegetable garden going door to door selling zucchini and I enjoyed it. I didn't even have a price - anything was cool to me...

I suppose the fact that I was happy, doing work and embracing capitalism was wrong?

I think you are completely missing the point of Gingrich's comments and why normal people have taken issue with them. We are not discussing a kid raking leaves or shovelling snow off of driveways for spending money.

Newt wants to employ kids for wages so they can help support their families......whose wages have stagnated for twenty years.......and AT THE SAME TIME take a swipe at public unions who negotiate living wages for fucking janitors. Wake the fuck up.

Newt said all that??

"Normal people" wouldn't have a problem with kids working - even if it was to help support their families..

I love how you fucks sit there and bash Ayn Rand then turn around and then attempt to claim republicans FORCE people into doing shit they don't want to do, in this case forcing children to work..

If a kid wants to work - let him/her work and whatever that individual does with his/her hard earned money is up to that individual....

Honestly I think you just have a problem with work...

What you people who are defending Newt and his words seem to keep conveniently leaving out is what he said:

He's an elitist and a snob, and I can't believe some of you are defending what he said.

When my son got his car from his father (damn fool,lol), I refused to pay for repairs on the second hand money pit or pay his insurance, although I could have. He went to work in a pizza place as soon as he could and never stopped. Worked through college loading trucks and today makes a 6 salary figure. There's something to be said about work ethic, don't you agree?

Forgot, he even had a lawn mowing job at 12. He loved it.

Let's face it, Children can learn responsibility along with earning money for things they would love to have but Mom and Dad can't pay for it.

Wouldn't it be nice to see inner city kids golf, play hockey or a sport that would be costly? Let them have the things others can.

Last edited:
No I'm not...

You have a problem with kids working so they can buy comic books, candy and baseball cards...

or, you know, the same reasons that were the case the LAST time kids were thrust into the work force: daddy can't find a job to support the family, need food on the table, work just doesn't pay that well...

seriously. COMIC BOOKS and CANDY?

:rofl:

Seriously. Why can't we give kids the chance to experience what they can't now?

jim beam and strippers? There are limitation for a specific reason. Again, look at the history of child labor. This isn't about candy and friggin comic books.

:lol:

or, you know, the same reasons that were the case the LAST time kids were thrust into the work force: daddy can't find a job to support the family, need food on the table, work just doesn't pay that well...

Seriously. Why can't we give kids the chance to experience what they can't now?

jim beam and strippers? There are limitation for a specific reason. Again, look at the history of child labor. This isn't about candy and friggin comic books.

:lol:

So you oppose children sweeping because there are labor laws for a reason?

What the heck is happening to our society?

What other things can they do besides clean bathrooms??

They're wet behind the ears - they know nothing hence they do remedial shit... This is why you don't see 13-year-old CFO's...

Using your logic college is redundant...

Newt said all that??

"Normal people" wouldn't have a problem with kids working - even if it was to help support their families..

I love how you fucks sit there and bash Ayn Rand then turn around and then attempt to claim republicans FORCE people into doing shit they don't want to do, in this case forcing children to work..

If a kid wants to work - let him/her work and whatever that individual does with his/her hard earned money is up to that individual....

Honestly I think you just have a problem with work...

Man...you are clueless. What gives you the slightest impression that I have a problem with work?

No I'm not...

You have a problem with kids working so they can buy comic books, candy and baseball cards...

The last time that happened was the Depression...

Kids working to help their families is great too..

Besides if daddy cant find work and his darling 11-year-old can that means daddy is a fucking snob or a retard...

If his 11-year-old has to support the family then daddy better jump off a cliff...

but, it did happen. During a period of economic downturn, no less. Which, if I'm not mistaken, your kind are continuously harping about these days. So, what REGULATION do you expect 12 year old janitors from becoming every bit as abused as textile mill kids? I mean, those black lung chimney sweeps were just helping their family, right? That IS a good thing, right?

Indeed, your scope of empathy towards the inability to find work during a depression really illustrates why your kind are not trusted with time sheets for twelve year olds.

:thup:

enjoy living with labor laws as they are because this is a failed initiative for your kind.

could you tell me at which minute second that is on the tape? I listened and didn't hear it. I think you're just looking for something to bitch about.

When my son got his car from his father (damn fool,lol), I refused to pay for repairs on the second hand money pit or pay his insurance, although I could have. He went to work in a pizza place as soon as he could and never stopped. Worked through college loading trucks and today makes a 6 salary figure. There's something to be said about work ethic, don't you agree?

A 6 salary figure?

Sounds like bullshit to me.

Forum List

Back