Gingrich Doubles Down On Child Labor: Poor Kids Should ‘Clean The Bathroom’

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Conceding ever so slightly to flak he’s taken for calling child labor laws “stupid” and suggesting that schools fire janitors and replace with them poor kids, GOP presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich got more specific today, saying working-class students should be limited to jobs like cleaning bathrooms. Bowing to concerns that janitorial work is dangerous, Gingrich floated, “What if they became assistant janitors and their jobs were to mop the floor and clean the bathroom?

And this is the GOP's "Great White Hope"? :cuckoo:

Gingrich Doubles Down On Child Labor: Poor Kids Should 'Clean The Bathroom' | ThinkProgress

Echo, there's always a choice of tagging after gang members, too. Sweeping floors and cleaning sinks is not such a bad thing for 12-17 year olds. Did you ever get an allowance for chores at home? Bet these kids don't.

There would be a chance that these youngsters just may find a mentor in that janitor as well. I believe child labor laws keep kids out of factories for 16 hour days in lieu of going to school. Really a different thing altogether.

Bowing to concerns that janitorial work is dangerous, Gingrich floated, “What if they became assistant janitors and their jobs were to mop the floor and clean the bathroom?”

Unbelievably naïve, ignorant, and idiotic. Gingrich is the ‘great intellectual’ of the right? Really?

Echo, there's always a choice of tagging after gang members, too. Sweeping floors and cleaning sinks is not such a bad thing for 12-17 year olds. Did you ever get an allowance for chores at home? Bet these kids don't.

There would be a chance that these youngsters just may find a mentor in that janitor as well. I believe child labor laws keep kids out of factories for 16 hour days in lieu of going to school. Really a different thing altogether.

His saying "working-class students should be limited to jobs like cleaning bathrooms" doesn't sound like he has the best interest of these people at heart now, does it?

There is nothing wrong with ANY type of job, as long as they are working.....but working class students have a lot more to offer than 'just cleaning bathrooms'-wouldn't you agree?

Yea! Every youthful kid should have the chance to be exposed to hepatitis!

:rolleyes:

Your riding the slippery slope all the way down to pure uglyness. So what your saying is poor kids should clean the bathroom at school while rich kids get educated. But stop when these poor kids are human trafficited (sic) in factories working 16 hour days?

Who in the factory will risk losing their job by telling authorities about the abuse?

Sandusky at Penn State Case is clear. No one was willing to risk their job to save a child in crisis.!

Your opinon is disgusting. But you go ahead and vote for Newt and lets see how far your families generations will last before one of your grandchildren are the ones who don't get an education and cleaning up after the rich. Hey it is one paycheck away from being enslaved. Write your opinion down so your future grandchildren can say my great great thought of me.

What a waist of the human brain.

To whom exactly in the GOP is Gingrich trying to appeal? Most moderates, independents, and democrats won’t buy into this.

Is this ‘work’ voluntary or mandatory? If punitive what criteria will be used to determine due process? Why just ‘poor/working class’ children? Will the children of the wealthy and well-to-do also be compelled to clean bathrooms?

If mandatory and punitive, singling out only a particular class of persons – regardless their age – could be construed as illegal and un-Constitutional.

Again, is Gingrich really this ignorant of the law? Or as with most rightists is he simply in contempt of it.

What did he say so wrong?? That kids should actually have some responsibility? Ooooooo BURN HIM AT THE STAKE.. MY GOD, he actually submitted that kids should be responsible for cleaning up after themselves. I know, I know.. according to the Mad Shitters logic (OWS) and the baby mama with 15 kids, SOMEBODY GOTTA PAY FOR MY KIDS.

What did he say so wrong?? That kids should actually have some responsibility? Ooooooo BURN HIM AT THE STAKE.. MY GOD, he actually submitted that kids should be responsible for cleaning up after themselves. I know, I know.. according to the Mad Shitters logic (OWS) and the baby mama with 15 kids, SOMEBODY GOTTA PAY FOR MY KIDS.

Stupid has officially entered the building.

:eusa_shhh:

To whom exactly in the GOP is Gingrich trying to appeal? Most moderates, independents, and democrats won’t buy into this.

Is this ‘work’ voluntary or mandatory? If punitive what criteria will be used to determine due process? Why just ‘poor/working class’ children? Will the children of the wealthy and well-to-do also be compelled to clean bathrooms?

If mandatory and punitive, singling out only a particular class of persons – regardless their age – could be construed as illegal and un-Constitutional.

Again, is Gingrich really this ignorant of the law? Or as with most rightists is he simply in contempt of it.

He sounds like an elitist snob to me. The key words he used, "working class children should be limited to cleaning the bathrooms" seems to be ignored by those who keep making excuses for him.

The idea that children should not work is very recent. Historically children worked both in and out of the home. Since it came from Think Progress, it's likely that they considerably altered the original statement or made it up completely.

All children should learn to work at the earliest ages possible.

His saying "working-class students should be limited to jobs like cleaning bathrooms" doesn't sound like he has the best interest of these people at heart now, does it?

There is nothing wrong with ANY type of job, as long as they are working.....but working class students have a lot more to offer than 'just cleaning bathrooms'-wouldn't you agree?

So what's wrong with cleaning bathrooms? I'm sure most of us on the board do this regularly! I'm sure that's not the only job they might have, but what on a resume would a 12 year old have that warrants a promotion to beyond janitorial work?

If it's good enough for an hourly employee, it's not good enough for a 12 year old? It would be alright to have them listen to readers, but I would like to see them get more academic help themselves. That could be incorporated in their work schedule.

Work is work...let's not overload them to assistant principal. Realism has to play here.

Help financially plus building self-esteem.

Of course that's not enough for some.

Yea! Take that sucker out of your mouth, Timmy, and clean up that hepatitis infected SHIT so you can start adding to your fucking RESUME!

:rofl:

Just ONE report from other than Think Progress. Just one mention from a legitimate outlet not an echo libblog.

Yea! Every youthful kid should have the chance to be exposed to hepatitis!

:rolleyes:

Drinking the water was not supposed to be in the job description. :rolleyes:

Exposure to diseases such as hepatitis is a specific risk linked to the janitorial industry. Would you like to stroke your google a little bit before making another stupid retort?

Your riding the slippery slope all the way down to pure uglyness. So what your saying is poor kids should clean the bathroom at school while rich kids get educated. But stop when these poor kids are human trafficited (sic) in factories working 16 hour days?

Who in the factory will risk losing their job by telling authorities about the abuse?

Sandusky at Penn State Case is clear. No one was willing to risk their job to save a child in crisis.!

Your opinon is disgusting. But you go ahead and vote for Newt and lets see how far your families generations will last before one of your grandchildren are the ones who don't get an education and cleaning up after the rich. Hey it is one paycheck away from being enslaved. Write your opinion down so your future grandchildren can say my great great thought of me.

What a waist of the human brain.

Did you know that expensive private schools give students the opportunity to work i the school after hours for part of their tuition? And these are not necessarily poor kids. My son signed up for the same thing when in highschool to lower the tuition to help me out.

Forum List

Back