GHWB Memorial

bullwinkle

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2013
I am always impressed by the pomp and circumstance of traditional events, so I got all comfy to watch the transfer of "Poppy's" remains at the Capitol Rotunda. The steps were lined by spit & polish military on both sides, an impressive sight. And as the hearse pulled up and stopped before the honor guard pall bearers, I lost it when the band began playing "Hail to The Chief"! Don't know why, it sure wasn't voluntary, but I literally couldn't hold back an audible sob and sudden gush of tears. Glad I was alone!

The ceremony was beautiful. I know every step was choreographed and what I saw was awesome. The slow walks and the slow salutes were touching. And maybe because I liked the guy, and respected him for breaking his own word for the sake of the nation, so I voted for him twice. And because I liked him it seemed to me that most of the mourners were there out of respect rather than just to be seen. I know Powell and Baker both shed tears.

I am always impressed by the pomp and circumstance of traditional events, so I got all comfy to watch the transfer of "Poppy's" remains at the Capitol Rotunda. The steps were lined by spit & polish military on both sides, an impressive sight. And as the hearse pulled up and stopped before the honor guard pall bearers, I lost it when the band began playing "Hail to The Chief"! Don't know why, it sure wasn't voluntary, but I literally couldn't hold back an audible sob and sudden gush of tears. Glad I was alone!

The ceremony was beautiful. I know every step was choreographed and what I saw was awesome. The slow walks and the slow salutes were touching. And maybe because I liked the guy, and respected him for breaking his own word for the sake of the nation, so I voted for him twice. And because I liked him it seemed to me that most of the mourners were there out of respect rather than just to be seen. I know Powell and Baker both shed tears.

Pomp and Circumstance didn't do it. The DOG brought on the plane again sitting near the casket. I teared up and had to walk out not to lose it.

He was a decent, exceptional man, deserving of the honors.

I like that Sully got to come before heading to Walter Reed to help wounded veterans.
George_HW_Bush_32404-780x520.jpg

Did we all just forget the War and the Recession this guy brought? I'm not sure why we do this whole, 'Well, now that you're dead, we show you nothing but love!"

Bush was an awful president. We threw him out after one term and rightfully so.

Hope he has great people who understand what he's going thru himself. This is a child who lost his father.

Bush had this dog for 6 months. It's a service dog, it's what they're trained to do.

Labs are great dogs, though, once they're trained and given a job to do, they'll do anything you ask them to do.

Joe, in so many issues we agr
Did we all just forget the War and the Recession this guy brought? I'm not sure why we do this whole, 'Well, now that you're dead, we show you nothing but love!"

Joe, in so many issues we agree, but not here. Have a heart! Those of us who show respect for GHWB never thought of him as more than he was. We knew his faults and imperfections. But I am convinced he did his best in the times he served, and he never disrespected the office he held in our name. He never tarnished the Presidency. He has earned the tradition shown his memory this day.

Joe, in so many issues we agree, but not here. Have a heart! Those of us who show respect for GHWB never thought of him as more than he was. We knew his faults and imperfections. But I am convinced he did his best in the times he served, and he never disrespected the office he held in our name. He never tarnished the Presidency. He has earned the tradition shown his memory this day.

Sorry, I remember after leaving the Service in 1992, getting out into a shit economy where no one was hiring.. I can't get weepy about Bush or think better of him because he isn't an awful human being like Trump is.

Compare him to what has now become of the Presidency

I got to meet him and Reagan when i was a kid. I was really bummed when i heard he died.

Great OP!

While taking nothing away from this long-time civil servant, this pomp & ceremony were grossly overblown. Just remember that the precedent is now set, and we will see the same thing when Jimmy Carter gives it up, then Bill Clinton. If a Democrat is in the WH at the time, s/he will probably try to out-do this circus. And don't even mention Barry O.

This is the sort of thing that is done when a KING dies or an Emperor, or a Pope. Bush41 was apparently a good man and a competent president. Best resume of anyone who ever served in that office, for what that's worth. But any ceremonies should have been based in Texas, and wherever he chose to be planted. Anyone from DC who wanted to attend could probably get the day off.

Flags at half mast for thirty days? Not justified.

Turns me off.

While taking nothing away from this long-time civil servant, this pomp & ceremony were grossly overblown. Just remember that the precedent is now set, and we will see the same thing when Jimmy Carter gives it up, then Bill Clinton. If a Democrat is in the WH at the time, s/he will probably try to out-do this circus. And don't even mention Barry O.

This is the sort of thing that is done when a KING dies or an Emperor, or a Pope. Bush41 was apparently a good man and a competent president. Best resume of anyone who ever served in that office, for what that's worth. But any ceremonies should have been based in Texas, and wherever he chose to be planted. Anyone from DC who wanted to attend could probably get the day off.

Flags at half mast for thirty days? Not justified.

Turns me off.
This is a military staged funeral. It's what they do. Get use to it.

Compare him to what has now become of the Presidency

Okay. You do realize that if it wasn't for Bush and the Willie Horton Ads, there wouldn't be a Trump screaming about Mexican Rapists. Bush did it first.
That was before my time. I remember HW as a poor, goofy old man who had to suffer the total humiliation of his family name by his alcoholic son. Maybe I’m mistaken.

That was before my time. I remember HW as a poor, goofy old man who had to suffer the total humiliation of his family name by his alcoholic son. Maybe I’m mistaken.

I'm old enough to remember it. The unnecessary Gulf War, the recession of 1990, the pandering to the racist wing of his party and letting Pat Buchanan rant racist nonsense from the floor. Bush Sr. opened the door to most of the problems we have today.

I like that Sully got to come before heading to Walter Reed to help wounded veterans.
George_HW_Bush_32404-780x520.jpg
Hope he has great people who understand what he's going thru himself. This is a child who lost his father.
Please STOP! That dog was with Bush for only six months. Sully is a dumb animal and has no idea he is a dog.
PLEASE STOP BITICHING ABOUT PEOPLE LIKING THE DOG!!! Right now the dog seems a hell of lot smarter than most of the posters on this board.

Sorry, I remember after leaving the Service in 1992, getting out into a shit economy where no one was hiring.. I can't get weepy about Bush or think better of him because he isn't an awful human being like Trump is.

The highest unemployment rate under Bush 41 was 7.8%. The highest under Obama was 9.7% in 2011, two full years after he took office. So if Bush was terrible, then OBAMA SUCKED ASS.

Bush saw approval ratings Obama can only BEG the media to pretend he had:

Bush_I_approval_rating.png

Watching his body arrive at the church now.

Not trying to be hateful here but what a bunch of nonsensical jibberish with all these religious prayers.

Now obviously I am no longer a believer but in the off chance I am wrong don't you think his so called soul is ALREADY IN HEAVEN OR HELL? So the prayers achieve what exactly? Or is there a line to get into heaven waiting on earthly prayers?

Seriously this is absurd

Forum List

Back