GHWB Memorial

While taking nothing away from this long-time civil servant, this pomp & ceremony were grossly overblown. Just remember that the precedent is now set, and we will see the same thing when Jimmy Carter gives it up, then Bill Clinton. If a Democrat is in the WH at the time, s/he will probably try to out-do this circus. And don't even mention Barry O.

This is the sort of thing that is done when a KING dies or an Emperor, or a Pope. Bush41 was apparently a good man and a competent president. Best resume of anyone who ever served in that office, for what that's worth. But any ceremonies should have been based in Texas, and wherever he chose to be planted. Anyone from DC who wanted to attend could probably get the day off.

Flags at half mast for thirty days? Not justified.

Turns me off.
Welcome to the 21st.....err sensitive century.

Watching it now.

BEYOND RIDICULOUS and I like the guy

Just took this snapshot of what the news is showing...

20181205_184953.jpg

Looks like the setting for a remake of DDraculaor something.

What is the point? Was on the screen for a solid 3 or 4 minutes.

Please STOP! That dog was with Bush for only six months. Sully is a dumb animal and has no idea he is a dog
You have no idea what you're talking about. They bond with their humans and grieve when separated (from the decent ones). In most ways they are better than humans.

Watching his body arrive at the church now.

Not trying to be hateful here but what a bunch of nonsensical jibberish with all these religious prayers.

Now obviously I am no longer a believer but in the off chance I am wrong don't you think his so called soul is ALREADY IN HEAVEN OR HELL? So the prayers achieve what exactly? Or is there a line to get into heaven waiting on earthly prayers?

Seriously this is absurd
So why are you watching? I'm not.

Watching his body arrive at the church now.

Not trying to be hateful here but what a bunch of nonsensical jibberish with all these religious prayers.

Now obviously I am no longer a believer but in the off chance I am wrong don't you think his so called soul is ALREADY IN HEAVEN OR HELL? So the prayers achieve what exactly? Or is there a line to get into heaven waiting on earthly prayers?

Seriously this is absurd
So why are you watching? I'm not.
Was cooking dinner and had time to kill the the oven timer rang

Sure are a lot of very disrespectful people posting in this thread. Bush was a great man. Try to show a little respect. If it’s beyond your control just shut up and find something else to do.

Compare him to what has now become of the Presidency

Okay. You do realize that if it wasn't for Bush and the Willie Horton Ads, there wouldn't be a Trump screaming about Mexican Rapists. Bush did it first.
That was before my time. I remember HW as a poor, goofy old man who had to suffer the total humiliation of his family name by his alcoholic son. Maybe I’m mistaken.
I took in a black kitten many December's ago. His foot was frostbitten. Though it was born feral, it recognized I was trying to help it. I named him Bob (bobcat). His mother was a stray in the area
Okay. You do realize that if it wasn't for Bush and the Willie Horton Ads, there wouldn't be a Trump screaming about Mexican Rapists. Bush did it first.
Aabsolutely justified! It is inexcusable that you whitewash the crimes of this vile animal and the deadly consequences of that vile governor of Massatwoshits.

Compare him to what has now become of the Presidency

That was before my time. I remember HW as a poor, goofy old man who had to suffer the total humiliation of his family name by his alcoholic son. Maybe I’m mistaken.
I took in a black kitten many December's ago. His foot was frostbitten. Though it was born feral, it recognized I was trying to help it. I named him Bob (bobcat). His mother was a stray in the area
Aabsolutely justified! It is inexcusable that you whitewash the crimes of this vile animal and the deadly consequences of that vile to former of Massatwoshits.
And what about the bobcat???

And what about the bobcat???
Long story never finished. The mother I fed. She stayed semi wild. One day I came home from work, found the mother dead in the house (she came and went thru the cat door). Don't know the cause of death.

I was getting ready to bury her and I thought it was the right thing to do to let Bob see what happened to her.

When he did (still an older kitten) he sniffed at her then let out a loud scream/cry like I've never heard from a cat before.

It was absolutely clear that this "dumb animal" understood and grieved. That sound really got to me. People who don't spend time with animals really don't understand them.

Yes, this dog understands and does grieve. I've seen it many times with the pets I've had.

The highest unemployment rate under Bush 41 was 7.8%. The highest under Obama was 9.7% in 2011, two full years after he took office. So if Bush was terrible, then OBAMA SUCKED ASS.

Bush saw approval ratings Obama can only BEG the media to pretend he had:

Bush had high approval ratings for a week after people got a sugar high off beating up a third world country. Then we realized what a stupid idea it was, and his approval went into the dumpster.

Obama inherited a shit economy and fixed it. Bush inherited a good economy and fucked it up.

I am always impressed by the pomp and circumstance of traditional events, so I got all comfy to watch the transfer of "Poppy's" remains at the Capitol Rotunda. The steps were lined by spit & polish military on both sides, an impressive sight. And as the hearse pulled up and stopped before the honor guard pall bearers, I lost it when the band began playing "Hail to The Chief"! Don't know why, it sure wasn't voluntary, but I literally couldn't hold back an audible sob and sudden gush of tears. Glad I was alone!

The ceremony was beautiful. I know every step was choreographed and what I saw was awesome. The slow walks and the slow salutes were touching. And maybe because I liked the guy, and respected him for breaking his own word for the sake of the nation, so I voted for him twice. And because I liked him it seemed to me that most of the mourners were there out of respect rather than just to be seen. I know Powell and Baker both shed tears.
I didn’t watch one minute. Too disgusting for my tastes.

Did we all just forget the War and the Recession this guy brought? I'm not sure why we do this whole, 'Well, now that you're dead, we show you nothing but love!"

Bush was an awful president. We threw him out after one term and rightfully so.
Just because he helped cover up Reagan`s arming of terrorists he`s awful? Nobody`s perfect although by the news coverage we`ve been seeing from that librul fake media, He belongs on Mt. Rushmore.

Just because he helped cover up Reagan`s arming of terrorists he`s awful? Nobody`s perfect although by the news coverage we`ve been seeing from that librul fake media, He belongs on Mt. Rushmore.

I'm reminded of how the Romans used to deify their Dead Emperors, even the ones who kind of sucked. The Philosopher Seneca wrote the Apocolocyntosis (divi) Claudii, (Pumpkinfication of Claudius) where he parodied the notion of naming someone as much of a buffoon as Claudius was as a God.

God help us, when Trump finally dies, we will probably see the same kind of thing.

Did we all just forget the War and the Recession this guy brought? I'm not sure why we do this whole, 'Well, now that you're dead, we show you nothing but love!"

Bush was an awful president. We threw him out after one term and rightfully so.
Y'know, every time some national figure dies anymore, all their faults are highlighted. And their list of crimes and misdemeanors is posted in detail. It's a wonder America can even hold it's head up these days, what with all the malevolence and corruption and malfeasance we elect with eyes wide open to lead us.

Y'know, every time some national figure dies anymore, all their faults are highlighted. And their list of crimes and misdemeanors is posted in detail. It's a wonder America can even hold it's head up these days, what with all the malevolence and corruption and malfeasance we elect with eyes wide open to lead us.

Or maybe, I have a hard time ignoring his faults.

Okay, I guess I feel bad that he died. But he lived to be 94. It's longer than most of us live.

But if you ignore his war-mongering, his race-baiting, and his economic incompetence, then you are doing the country a disservice.

We voted this guy out for a reason.

Now, the thing is, I voted for him both times. (I used to be a lot more conservative than I am now). In 1992, i was disillusioned by the Gulf War, but Clinton was a Sleeze and Perot was nuts, so I held my nose and voted for him again.

But this was not a good president. I don't even think he was a particularly good person. A better person than the current blight in the White House the Russians gave us, but not a good person.

Okay, I guess I feel bad that he died. But he lived to be 94. It's longer than most of us live.

But if you ignore his war-mongering, his race-baiting, and his economic incompetence, then you are doing the country a disservice.

Now, the thing is, I voted for him both times. (I used to be a lot more conservative than I am now). In 1992, i was disillusioned by the Gulf War, but Clinton was a Sleeze and Perot was nuts, so I held my nose and voted for him again.

But this was not a good president. I don't even think he was a particularly good person. A better person than the current blight in the White House the Russians gave us, but not a good person.
Joe, I appreciate your ability to articulate your feelings on this. And I appreciate that it is not based on mindless hate, but rather on reasoned logic as you see it. It tells me that you can debate opponents with cogent arguments rather than bumper sticker epithets. Thanks.

most-bad-government-has-grown-out-of-too-much-government-8034297.png

Rustic, can you define what is 'too much' government vs too little? Where is the line? Example: the FF didn't say anything about food inspectors, or traffic lights and speed limits and all kinds of 'common good' rules placed by fed, State, and local governments. This crusade to curb the excesses of government is so nebulous, so under-defined. We hear of pet gripes a lot, but nothing is actually defined. Actually, I don't think the FF said much about immigration either, or entered rules for or against it in the Bill of Rights. So instead of complaining vaguely about 'too much government', please set down what should be stricken. If you are lobbying to go back to the bare bones of our Constitution, I don't think you have much chance of succeeding.

While taking nothing away from this long-time civil servant, this pomp & ceremony were grossly overblown. Just remember that the precedent is now set, and we will see the same thing when Jimmy Carter gives it up, then Bill Clinton. If a Democrat is in the WH at the time, s/he will probably try to out-do this circus. And don't even mention Barry O.

This is the sort of thing that is done when a KING dies or an Emperor, or a Pope. Bush41 was apparently a good man and a competent president. Best resume of anyone who ever served in that office, for what that's worth. But any ceremonies should have been based in Texas, and wherever he chose to be planted. Anyone from DC who wanted to attend could probably get the day off.

Flags at half mast for thirty days? Not justified.

Turns me off.
You didn't see the state funeral given to murderer Tookie Williams did you? That was truly disgusting.

Rustic, can you define what is 'too much' government vs too little? Where is the line? Example: the FF didn't say anything about food inspectors, or traffic lights and speed limits and all kinds of 'common good' rules placed by fed, State, and local governments. This crusade to curb the excesses of government is so nebulous, so under-defined. We hear of pet gripes a lot, but nothing is actually defined. Actually, I don't think the FF said much about immigration either, or entered rules for or against it in the Bill of Rights. So instead of complaining vaguely about 'too much government', please set down what should be stricken. If you are lobbying to go back to the bare bones of our Constitution, I don't think you have much chance of succeeding.
The current federal is far, far too large in all respects... no two ways about it.

Forum List

Back