Game of Thrones

Darkwind

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2009
Season 8 started last night and the opening episode was only 54 minutes long

About a year ago, I was curious as to when the season would premiere so I went looking and was surprised that they planned on April 2019. Okay, no big deal, but that insider website -- I can't recall which one -- was saying that the episodes were going to be nearly movie length, 90+ minutes each.

I thought, cool. They had a shit ton of open story plotlines and even with six episodes, if they were 90 minutes each, they could close it all out.

It turns out that the episode lengths aren't much longer than just the normal 1-hour episodes, the next one is only 56 minutes and the rest are something like 79 minutes each.

The total for Season 8 is going to be a whopping 7.15 hours in length -- Total.

I'm kind of disappointed in that as I feel that the writing isn't tight enough to close all those stories in that little time.

Yeah, it could be that I just want to drag it out a few more seasons. lol

Just finished watching Winter is Here. (no, no spoilers)

They just don’t have the source material anymore. The last few seasons have been lame ass TV writing and plots, and totally predictable.

They should had spent more seasons per book and stretched the show out more seasons and used more characters from the books they left out.

TV writers just can’t match the imagination of JRR Martin. I almost feel sorry for them actually.

About a year ago, I was curious as to when the season would premiere so I went looking and was surprised that they planned on April 2019. Okay, no big deal, but that insider website -- I can't recall which one -- was saying that the episodes were going to be nearly movie length, 90+ minutes each.

I thought, cool. They had a shit ton of open story plotlines and even with six episodes, if they were 90 minutes each, they could close it all out.

It turns out that the episode lengths aren't much longer than just the normal 1-hour episodes, the next one is only 56 minutes and the rest are something like 79 minutes each.

I'm kind of disappointed in that as I feel that the writing isn't tight enough to close all those stories in that little time.

Agreed. Season 7 and this feel like they are just rushing through to conclude the series. And there are plenty of storyline and characters they could have used to flesh out both seasons into 10 episodes. Rather a shame considering how wonderful it has been.

Last edited:
They just don’t have the source material anymore. The last few seasons have been lame ass TV writing and plots, and totally predictable.

They should had spent more seasons per book and stretched the show out more seasons and used more characters from the books they left out.

TV writers just can’t match the imagination of JRR Martin. I almost feel sorry for them actually.
I disagree....having read the books, I actually avoided the show the first 2 seasons because of how convoluted his plot lines were....They have done better than he did.

I disagree. No TV show is going to be as complete as the original work, but I think they have done a passable job so far. I just don't think they can close out the series with any real satisfaction with so few episodes that are that short.

They could do 6 full-length movies and probably not close it all out this season. So, I'm a bit disappointed.

I disagree. No TV show is going to be as complete as the original work, but I think they have done a passable job so far. I just don't think they can close out the series with any real satisfaction with so few episodes that are that short.

They could do 6 full-length movies and probably not close it all out this season. So, I'm a bit disappointed.
There are a lot of unresolved plot lines to wrap up in six episodes

Seems many will just be abandoned

First episode was pretty bland after almost two years

Too many reunion scenes

As the architect of the Ice and Fire universe now widely known as Thrones, Martin is one of the most vocal champions of fidelity to the books, to the point that he openly questions the need to close the story out after eight seasons and 73 episodes. While it's the end of one major chapter, it may be the start of a new one, as Martin and HBO are conspiring ways to open up the world of Westeros with five potential "successor" spinoffs, including one that's gearing up for production.

'Game of Thrones' Creator George R.R. Martin: "I Don't Think It Should Be the Final Season"

After season 5 the dialogue and exposition went to crap but I don’t care I love this shit. We may never get books 6 or 7 so this could be it.

As the architect of the Ice and Fire universe now widely known as Thrones, Martin is one of the most vocal champions of fidelity to the books, to the point that he openly questions the need to close the story out after eight seasons and 73 episodes. While it's the end of one major chapter, it may be the start of a new one, as Martin and HBO are conspiring ways to open up the world of Westeros with five potential "successor" spinoffs, including one that's gearing up for production.

'Game of Thrones' Creator George R.R. Martin: "I Don't Think It Should Be the Final Season"
This season could have the greatest twist ending in TV history. Last survivors of Westeros fleeing to Essos by ship, the Night King stares at them as they leave, and then on screen appears “Game of Thrones will return in Season 9”

Agreed. Season 7 and this feel like they are just rushing through to conclude the series. And there are plenty of storyline and characters they could have used to flesh out both seasons into 10 episodes. Rather a shame considering how wonderful it has been.
Sure, but nobody involved with that show wants to work on it for 5 more years.

They should have done 10 episodes each for Seasons 7 ad 8. that would have been only 7 more than the current 13 combined, and enabled them to flesh out the story lines instead of this rushed chop job.

Yeah. . . who would want to make millions of dollars? Fuck that!

Yeah. . . who would want to make millions of dollars? Fuck that!
They can make millions elsewhere capitalizing on their newfound fame with new contracts. They have been at it almost ten years. The producers, writers, and actors would like to move on to other projects before they die.

HBO will do like Star Wars

Endless prequels and sequels

Forum List

Back