Game of Thrones

Season 8 started last night and the opening episode was only 54 minutes long

About a year ago, I was curious as to when the season would premiere so I went looking and was surprised that they planned on April 2019. Okay, no big deal, but that insider website -- I can't recall which one -- was saying that the episodes were going to be nearly movie length, 90+ minutes each.

I thought, cool. They had a shit ton of open story plotlines and even with six episodes, if they were 90 minutes each, they could close it all out.

It turns out that the episode lengths aren't much longer than just the normal 1-hour episodes, the next one is only 56 minutes and the rest are something like 79 minutes each.

The total for Season 8 is going to be a whopping 7.15 hours in length -- Total.

I'm kind of disappointed in that as I feel that the writing isn't tight enough to close all those stories in that little time.

Yeah, it could be that I just want to drag it out a few more seasons. lol

Just finished watching Winter is Here. (no, no spoilers)

Agreed. Season 7 and this feel like they are just rushing through to conclude the series. And there are plenty of storyline and characters they could have used to flesh out both seasons into 10 episodes. Rather a shame considering how wonderful it has been.
Sure, but nobody involved with that show wants to work on it for 5 more years.

Yeah. . . who would want to make millions of dollars? Fuck that!
They can make millions elsewhere capitalizing on their newfound fame with new contracts. They have been at it almost ten years. The producers, writers, and actors would like to move on to other projects before they die.
With the way they rotate characters out of the show, how hard would it be to keep it going?

Season 8 started last night and the opening episode was only 54 minutes long

About a year ago, I was curious as to when the season would premiere so I went looking and was surprised that they planned on April 2019. Okay, no big deal, but that insider website -- I can't recall which one -- was saying that the episodes were going to be nearly movie length, 90+ minutes each.

I thought, cool. They had a shit ton of open story plotlines and even with six episodes, if they were 90 minutes each, they could close it all out.

It turns out that the episode lengths aren't much longer than just the normal 1-hour episodes, the next one is only 56 minutes and the rest are something like 79 minutes each.

The total for Season 8 is going to be a whopping 7.15 hours in length -- Total.

I'm kind of disappointed in that as I feel that the writing isn't tight enough to close all those stories in that little time.

Yeah, it could be that I just want to drag it out a few more seasons. lol

Just finished watching Winter is Here. (no, no spoilers)

Agreed. Season 7 and this feel like they are just rushing through to conclude the series. And there are plenty of storyline and characters they could have used to flesh out both seasons into 10 episodes. Rather a shame considering how wonderful it has been.

They can make millions elsewhere capitalizing on their newfound fame with new contracts. They have been at it almost ten years. The producers, writers, and actors would like to move on to other projects before they die.
With the way they rotate characters out of the show, how hard would it be to keep it going?
Without the producers, writers, and main cast members? Tough, I imagine. So they do spinoffs.

Their mistake, if any, was pacing so slowly for 4 seasons. They thought the source material would guide the way. It didn't.

Without the producers, writers, and main cast members? Tough, I imagine. So they do spinoffs.

Their mistake, if any, was pacing so slowly for 4 seasons. They thought the source material would guide the way. It didn't.
How many characters have died off over the first 7 seasons? No one notices the writers and producers and honestly, writers and producers can be replaced with little loss of quality.

I think the pacing was fine for all of seasons 1-6, with the exception of season 2 (too many POV characters per episode made it too choppy). 7 was was to rushed and had none of the quieter moments/dialogue that add meaning. I expect 8 will follow suit.

How many characters have died off over the first 7 seasons? No one notices the writers and producers and honestly, writers and producers can be replaced with little loss of quality.

Many have died, but there are a few core characters that make the heart of the drama: Tyrion, Jamie, Arya, Daenarys, Jon, Sansa and Samwell, imo. Bran is not really himself anymore - but he clearly has a role leading to the the resolution of the narrative.

Last edited:

Yes, we call those shows spinoffs.

Yes, we call those shows spinoffs.
Or you just continue the main storyline until such time as all the open plots are brought to a close.

I think the pacing was fine for all of seasons 1-6, with the exception of season 2 (too many POV characters per episode made it too choppy). 7 was was to rushed and had none of the quieter moments/dialogue that add meaning. I expect 8 will follow suit.
I liked the pacing too, but, in the context of wrapping it in 8 seasons, the slower,early pace is being reflected in the current, furious pace.

I liked the pacing too, but, in the context of wrapping it in 8 seasons, the slower,early pace is being reflected in the current, furious pace.

I don't like the new furious pace. It lacks texture and nuance.

I agree. Even in the first episode, they hurried along with the main plot because of it. Now the tension that would have been awesome between to of the characters is going to seem forced and unnatural.

But it doesn't lack ratings, haha

Well, after watching the first 7 (really 6.5) seasons, I'm going to see how they end this thing.

Well, after watching the first 7 (really 6.5) seasons, I'm going to see how they end this thing.
Yeah, they're already in the can and we are going to get what we get. No one is going to stop now.

It's just frustrating.

Yeah, they're already in the can and we are going to get what we get. No one is going to stop now.

It's just frustrating.

Yep. I felt sad watching 8.1. The characters deserved better.

As the architect of the Ice and Fire universe now widely known as Thrones, Martin is one of the most vocal champions of fidelity to the books, to the point that he openly questions the need to close the story out after eight seasons and 73 episodes. While it's the end of one major chapter, it may be the start of a new one, as Martin and HBO are conspiring ways to open up the world of Westeros with five potential "successor" spinoffs, including one that's gearing up for production.

'Game of Thrones' Creator George R.R. Martin: "I Don't Think It Should Be the Final Season"
This season could have the greatest twist ending in TV history. Last survivors of Westeros fleeing to Essos by ship, the Night King stares at them as they leave, and then on screen appears “Game of Thrones will return in Season 9”

I don't think Martin would take it in that direction. Frankly, I think the shows have always used the fantasy as more of a crutch to gain an audience then the character driven story. Take away the fantasy, the sweeping CGI and Peter Dinklage and you don't have a show much better than The Tudors or The Borgias. :71:

The interplay between the different cultures and families has always been it's strength, what each house's beliefs are, and how strongly they hold them in relationship to each other, it's flexibility in these histories and what in means to the development of the history of Martins world is what I think he would want to emphasize.

Although we had the prophecy that . . . .
Daenerys Targaryen Thinks She Can't Get Pregnant
Daenerys Targaryen Thinks She Can't Get Pregnant — And She Might Be Wrong

I don't think it is interpreted correctly.

In the end, it is all about the Targaryen Dynasty.

It is all about the Targaryens.

Read. . . Why does no one read?
FandB.jpg

". . . What really happened during the Dance of the Dragons? Why did it become so deadly to visit Valyria after the Doom? What is the origin of Daenerys’s three dragon eggs? These are but a few of the questions answered in this essential chronicle, as related by a learned maester of the Citadel and featuring more than eighty all-new black-and-white illustrations by artist Doug Wheatley. Readers have glimpsed small parts of this narrative in such volumes as The World of Ice & Fire, but now, for the first time, the full tapestry of Targaryen history is revealed.. . . "
FIRE AND BLOOD | George R.R. Martin

As the architect of the Ice and Fire universe now widely known as Thrones, Martin is one of the most vocal champions of fidelity to the books, to the point that he openly questions the need to close the story out after eight seasons and 73 episodes. While it's the end of one major chapter, it may be the start of a new one, as Martin and HBO are conspiring ways to open up the world of Westeros with five potential "successor" spinoffs, including one that's gearing up for production.

'Game of Thrones' Creator George R.R. Martin: "I Don't Think It Should Be the Final Season"
This season could have the greatest twist ending in TV history. Last survivors of Westeros fleeing to Essos by ship, the Night King stares at them as they leave, and then on screen appears “Game of Thrones will return in Season 9”

I don't think Martin would take it in that direction. Frankly, I think the shows have always used the fantasy as more of a crutch to gain an audience then the character driven story. Take away the fantasy, the sweeping CGI and Peter Dinklage and you don't have a show much better than The Tudors or The Borgias. :71:

The interplay between the different cultures and families has always been it's strength, what each house's beliefs are, and how strongly they hold them in relationship to each other, it's flexibility in these histories and what in means to the development of the history of Martins world is what I think he would want to emphasize.

FandB.jpg

". . . What really happened during the Dance of the Dragons? Why did it become so deadly to visit Valyria after the Doom? What is the origin of Daenerys’s three dragon eggs? These are but a few of the questions answered in this essential chronicle, as related by a learned maester of the Citadel and featuring more than eighty all-new black-and-white illustrations by artist Doug Wheatley. Readers have glimpsed small parts of this narrative in such volumes as The World of Ice & Fire, but now, for the first time, the full tapestry of Targaryen history is revealed.. . . "
Oh I bought that the day it came out. I think you’re right about the importance of the Targaryens, but you can’t discount the Starks. Bran the Builder was a Stark and the Lord Commander who took a White Walker bride and became Night King 8,000 years ago is rumored to be a Stark and was eventually defeated by the Starks. So I think either Jon is the song of ice and fire, his baby with Daenerys is, or some kind of long con between the Starks and Targaryens that Rhaegar and Lyanna were in on is the song of ice and fire. Martin must really be a genius to get people to look into what, ultimately, is just some crap he imagined up. Like, how many people know who Daenys or whatever the Dreamer was? And she might be as important as anybody.

FandB.jpg

Oh I bought that the day it came out. I think you’re right about the importance of the Targaryens, but you can’t discount the Starks. Bran the Builder was a Stark and the Lord Commander who took a White Walker bride and became Night King 8,000 years ago is rumored to be a Stark and was eventually defeated by the Starks. So I think either Jon is the song of ice and fire, his baby with Daenerys is, or some kind of long con between the Starks and Targaryens that Rhaegar and Lyanna were in on is the song of ice and fire. Martin must really be a genius to get people to look into what, ultimately, is just some crap he imagined up. Like, how many people know who Daenys or whatever the Dreamer was? And she might be as important as anybody.
I've seen some ideas bounced around for spinoffs, none, IMO, would be as interesting as a tale about the the invasion of Westerous by the first men, the creation of the White Walkers by the Children of the Forest to defeat them, their loss of control over the White Walkers, and the eventual pact between the First Men and the Children and the subsequent War for the Dawn.

The first episode was pretty disappointing. Not much happened, and there's only five episodes left to wrap it all up.

The first episode was pretty disappointing. Not much happened, and there's only five episodes left to wrap it all up.
I agree
After sitting out for almost two years they came in with a stinker
Bunch of reunions, a how to tame your dragon scene, gratuitous sex and only 54 minutes long

They are going to have to pick up their game

Forum List

Back