Gallup- Americans Less Likely to See U.S. as No. 1 Militarily

In modern warfare, size does not matter

The Soviets had large numbers of soldiers, large numbers of tanks, large numbers of planes

They were all crap

Poorly designed, no maintenance, no logistics support. Their troops were poorly trained and had horrible morale

This is not liberal propaganda, it's the post Mortem of the Soviet Union

Reagan lied to convince us that he needed to spend hundreds of billions to fight the Soviets...he didn't

What do you base these self serving assumptions on?

40 years working for the DoD

So it should be easy for you to support your non-intuitive claim....
Google is your friend

You are welcome to look up the condition of the Soviet military and prove me wrong about how much Reagan overreacted

Got it. YOu made a claim and cannot back it up, not even a little.

I've heard the revisionist history from you libs before.

It is the worst type of self serving, self deluded nonsense.

ANyone that dismisses a military that vastly outnumbers(ed) you is a fool.
It's not revisionist history

Want to look at the Soviet equipment just look at how Iraq did with it during Dessert Storm. Soviet tanks were picked off like they were nothing

Anyone who thinks numbers of tanks, aircraft and soldiers matter in modern warfar matter without considering their capabilities is indeed a fool

How did that work out for the Soviets?

Russia is still using that ancient equipment

It was working out fine for them until Reagan came along.

How does that relate to my point about the Carter military reduction in spending?

I worked for the DOD while both Carter and Reagan were President

Under Carter, we were drawing down our forces and regrouping. Carter did fund many modernization efforts and aircraft that we still use today

With Reagan, it was like Christmas. Any military project you proposed got approved. It was the days of Star Wars and Cold War on steroids

I also saw what happened with all the equipment and projects that Reagan green lighted. The Cold War doctrine was obsolete. Our Army was too slow to fight modern engagements. Our Air Force was built around dropping nukes and not tactical missions. Our Navy had the wrong mix of ships

By the 90s, we had to start over

Reagan inherited a military that didn't trust sentries to have bullets in war zones.

8 years later GHWBush inherited a military that won the Hundred Hours War.

Reagan used the military buildup to end his recession. Much of the money he spent did not make for a better military because it was for fighting a Cold War

Bush kicked Saddam out of Kuwait in 100 days, Carter could have done the same, there was minimal resistance

I guess you do not know the difference in hours and days?
My bad...of course it was hours

Hey Pismoe and Kaz, are either of you two interested in registering for the draft?
--------------------------- silly question as some on this board have been registered for the draft for close to 50 years . Some people in this conversation probably have their 50 year old draft cards still in their wallets . Draft is fine , when and if it goes into effect it provides a better mix of American than just the volunteer service BSailor !!

So, you'd be okay with everyone in your family over the age of 18 registering for the draft?

Me? I registered the day I turned 18, and then I joined the Navy and served for 20 years.

I have a better one! On my 18th birthday, I was already considered a veteran!

I love Apaches. First plane I learned to fly. Only plane I learned to fly. I sold everything that I owned to fly that shit. Everything. I just wanted to fly. :spinner:

What do you base these self serving assumptions on?

Google is your friend

You are welcome to look up the condition of the Soviet military and prove me wrong about how much Reagan overreacted

Want to look at the Soviet equipment just look at how Iraq did with it during Dessert Storm. Soviet tanks were picked off like they were nothing

Anyone who thinks numbers of tanks, aircraft and soldiers matter in modern warfar matter without considering their capabilities is indeed a fool

I remember libs making that argument.

It was fucking hilarious.

The Iraqi military used soviet equipment and tactics it is true.

But, the PRIMARY STRATEGY of the Soviet Army was to have overwhelming numeric superiority.

But as Iraq was far smaller than the SU, it was unable to do that.

The Allied forces in the first Gulf War had equal numbers to the Iraqi.

To point at the FIrst Gulf War as evidence that the Soviet Union was a "paper tiger" is the act of either an ignorant fool, or a dishonest partisan.

DO you recall what the numerical advantage the Soviets had in men and tanks during the Cold War? I'm having trouble remembering or goggling it.

gentlemen , yes , USA military is very strong , I just want to see USA military stronger . I don't mind spending the money for more strength . Concerning Obama , hey , mrobama is a wusse and a terrible 'cic' in my opinion and my opinion is shared by millions of Americans that share my politics . .

Stronger than what? Do you know how much firepower is in just ONE carrier battle group? We have 11 carriers currently in service.

List of aircraft carriers of the United States Navy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

68, 69, 70, 71, 72,
73, 74, 75, 76, 77

Looks like 10 to me.

USS Gerald Ford is a few weeks away from entering service, which will make it 11 again.

But if you are more interested in pedantry, so be it.

I love Apaches. First plane I learned to fly. Only plane I learned to fly. I sold everything that I owned to fly that shit. Everything. I just wanted to fly. :spinner:

You do realize that the Apache is an attack helicopter used to destroy tanks, right? Methinks you are confused!

Hmmm.....I prolly am. Wanna IPA? I'm just going to step away from the thread. Quietly. Until tomorrow or something.....

Google is your friend

But, the PRIMARY STRATEGY of the Soviet Army was to have overwhelming numeric superiority.

To point at the FIrst Gulf War as evidence that the Soviet Union was a "paper tiger" is the act of either an ignorant fool, or a dishonest partisan.

DO you recall what the numerical advantage the Soviets had in men and tanks during the Cold War? I'm having trouble remembering or goggling it.
The massed Soviet Army ready to storm the Fulda Gap was a farce
Their equipment was not operationally ready, they lacked the logistics support to sustain an invasion, their soldiers were poorly trained and had poor morale
Reagan convinced us that we had to be afraid of this Soviet menace

gentlemen , yes , USA military is very strong , I just want to see USA military stronger . I don't mind spending the money for more strength . Concerning Obama , hey , mrobama is a wusse and a terrible 'cic' in my opinion and my opinion is shared by millions of Americans that share my politics . .

Stronger than what? Do you know how much firepower is in just ONE carrier battle group? We have 11 carriers currently in service.

List of aircraft carriers of the United States Navy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

68, 69, 70, 71, 72,
73, 74, 75, 76, 77

Looks like 10 to me.

USS Gerald Ford is a few weeks away from entering service, which will make it 11 again.

Delivered, but not operational and far from being able to deploy!

But if you are more interested in idiocy, so be it!

68, 69, 70, 71, 72,
73, 74, 75, 76, 77

Looks like 10 to me.

:lol:

Did I hurt your fweelings, pedant?

Tell me, how is having 10 more supercarriers than any other military power in the world substantially different from having 11?

Google is your friend

Their equipment was not operationally ready, they lacked the logistics support to sustain an invasion, their soldiers were poorly trained and had poor morale

Please support your claim that all the soviet forces in Eastern Europe was not operationally ready and could not be made ready in a timely fashion.

68, 69, 70, 71, 72,
73, 74, 75, 76, 77

Looks like 10 to me.

Tell me, how is having 10 more supercarriers than any other military power in the world substantially different from having 11?

I thought you were supposed to be a mod. I thought maturity would be an attribute they looked for in those that hold that position.

I guess your feeling get hurt when people prove your facts to be wrong.

Google is your friend

Please support your claim that all the soviet forces in Eastern Europe was not operationally ready and could not be made ready in a timely fashion.
Too much work, I'm not going to bother

The history of the USSR and the resulting state of their military is well documented

68, 69, 70, 71, 72,
73, 74, 75, 76, 77

Looks like 10 to me.

I thought you were supposed to be a mod. I thought maturity would be an attribute they looked for in those that hold that position.

I guess your feeling get hurt when people prove your facts to be wrong.

You sure like to whine, don't you?

I'm not "supposed" to be a mod - I am a mod - and neither I, nor any of the other members of staff give the slightest little shit as to what you think about it.

I feel no need to coddle assholes with kid gloves. Since you've already shown yourself to be a dick, then as far as I'm concerned - If you don't like the way I post to you, you can go fuck yourself.

Now, as for your post - tell me, pedant - what "facts" of mine did you "prove wrong"?

Since you're so infatuated with insignificant details, I'm sure you'll be very specific.

Last edited:

The history of the USSR and the resulting state of their military is well documented

Really? I would think it what you claimed was true, it would be just a few seconds to goggle it and link to a report on how the SOviet military could NOT have even mobilized, let alone stormed the FUlda Gap.

Really? I would think it what you claimed was true, it would be just a few seconds to goggle it and link to a report on how the SOviet military could NOT have even mobilized, let alone stormed the FUlda Gap.
Look...you want to discuss the issue
Bring something to the table

Your whines of link, link, link are tiresome

Look...you want to discuss the issue
Bring something to the table

Your whines of link, link, link are tiresome

I've brought plenty.

I called you on your claim that building a Cold War military during the Cold War was a mistake.

I called you on your claim that a program being cancelled because of victory was evidence the program was mistake.

I pointed out Cold War era close air support programs that you denied the Cold War military cared did.

I pointed out, correctly that the Soviet Military was huge.

I pointed out correctly that using the Persian Gulf War as evidence that the SU was a "paper tiger" was the act of a dishonest partisan and I explained WHY.

The Reagan build up was needed to repair the damage of the Vietnam War and to restore the Conventional Balance of Power with the massive Soviet Military.

The one supporting evidence you have "brought to the table" ie Iraq, I demolished.

The only reason that you libs want to believe that the SU was a paper tiger is because otherwise you have to

a. Give credit to where credit is due, ie Reagan was a Great Leader who won the Cold War (and to those who voted for him)

and

b. admit you were completely wrong about so much.

Forum List

Back