Gallup- Americans Less Likely to See U.S. as No. 1 Militarily

Reagan inherited a military that didn't trust sentries to have bullets in war zones.

8 years later GHWBush inherited a military that won the Hundred Hours War.

Reagan used the military buildup to end his recession. Much of the money he spent did not make for a better military because it was for fighting a Cold War

Bush kicked Saddam out of Kuwait in 100 days, Carter could have done the same, there was minimal resistance

1. Military spending was part of the recovery.

2. Building a military to fight (and thus deter hot war) the Cold War during the Cold War is building a better military. It is incredible that you managed to Denial this.

3. It was Reagan's air and fast transports that enabled the rapid deployment and build up.

4. It only SEEMED like minimal resistance because Reagan's military and GHWBush's leadership didn't give Hussein the slightest opening.

I saw what happened to Reagan's military build up. A large number of the projects got cancelled under Bush. Cold War ended, mission changed, equipment was obsolete

Reagan escallated a buildup against a threat that turned out to be empty.
The Soviets were not what we were told. They were nowhere close to the military power that we were. Their equipment was poorly designed and poorly maintained. Troops were poorly trained and had low morale. Their Navy could hardly leave port

But fear mongerers convinced us that they were a major threat and we needed a major buildup

2. Building a military to fight (and thus deter hot war) the Cold War during the Cold War is building a better military. It is incredible that you managed to Denial this.

3. It was Reagan's air and fast transports that enabled the rapid deployment and build up.

4. It only SEEMED like minimal resistance because Reagan's military and GHWBush's leadership didn't give Hussein the slightest opening.

5. Cold War projects being cancelled due to victory is not a problem.

6. The "Empty Threat" is the lefty response to the Reagan Victory. Before his victory he was ridiculed for raising tensions and predicting victory. After wards it was imperative that leftists think of ways to explain away this massive accomplishment. Many lies and irrelevancies were put forth and swallowed by the Willful Dupes.

7. Fear was the rational response to thousands of nukes, planes and tanked being aimed at US. Only a madman or a fool was not afraid of that during the Cold War.

OK ...let's go there

Reagan lied like Bush lied
Without the consequences....we just wasted money

Reagan told us the Soviets were a big boogeyman and we needed to build up our military. History has shown they were a paper tiger
Russian military was poorly designed, poorly maintained, poor logistics, horrible morale

Conservatives give him credit for destroying the Soviets....he just exploited it

I have seen many libs argue that the SU was a "paper tiger" after Reagan won the Cold War.

Their arguments are generally the type that only a Willing Dupe would believe.

The Soviet Military was fucking huge.

SIze matters.

Poor logistics can be a problem.

So can being outnumbered 5 to 1.

Reagan used the military buildup to end his recession. Much of the money he spent did not make for a better military because it was for fighting a Cold War

Bush kicked Saddam out of Kuwait in 100 days, Carter could have done the same, there was minimal resistance

I saw what happened to Reagan's military build up. A large number of the projects got cancelled under Bush. Cold War ended, mission changed, equipment was obsolete

The Soviets were not what we were told. They were nowhere close to the military power that we were. Their equipment was poorly designed and poorly maintained. Troops were poorly trained and had low morale. Their Navy could hardly leave port

But fear mongerers convinced us that they were a major threat and we needed a major buildup

6. The "Empty Threat" is the lefty response to the Reagan Victory. Before his victory he was ridiculed for raising tensions and predicting victory. After wards it was imperative that leftists think of ways to explain away this massive accomplishment. Many lies and irrelevancies were put forth and swallowed by the Willful Dupes.

7. Fear was the rational response to thousands of nukes, planes and tanked being aimed at US. Only a madman or a fool was not afraid of that during the Cold War.

OK ...let's go there

Reagan told us the Soviets were a big boogeyman and we needed to build up our military. History has shown they were a paper tiger
Russian military was poorly designed, poorly maintained, poor logistics, horrible morale

Conservatives give him credit for destroying the Soviets....he just exploited it

I have seen many libs argue that the SU was a "paper tiger" after Reagan won the Cold War.

SIze matters.

In modern warfare, size does not matter

The Soviets had large numbers of soldiers, large numbers of tanks, large numbers of planes

They were all crap

Poorly designed, no maintenance, no logistics support. Their troops were poorly trained and had horrible morale

This is not liberal propaganda, it's the post Mortem of the Soviet Union

Reagan lied to convince us that he needed to spend hundreds of billions to fight the Soviets...he didn't

OK ...let's go there

SIze matters.

The Soviets had large numbers of soldiers, large numbers of tanks, large numbers of planes

They were all crap

Poorly designed, no maintenance, no logistics support. Their troops were poorly trained and had horrible morale

Reagan lied to convince us that he needed to spend hundreds of billions to fight the Soviets...he didn't

What do you base these self serving assumptions on?

OK ...let's go there

SIze matters.

They were all crap

40 years working for the DoD

OK ...let's go there

SIze matters.

They were all crap

So it should be easy for you to support your non-intuitive claim....

OK ...let's go there

SIze matters.

They were all crap

Google is your friend

You are welcome to look up the condition of the Soviet military and prove me wrong about how much Reagan overreacted

related , here is some good news , Ted Cruz plans to fix our ever weakening military . --- Ted Cruz Reveals Plan to Bolster Military --- and its a good thing , I think that Mr. Trump has similar plans .

Too funny

Speaking in front of a World War II Navy dive bomber inside the U.S.S. Yorktown, Cruz called for increasing the number of active duty troops, airplanes and fighting ships. He also called for expanding the Air Force to include at least 6,000 airplanes, up from 4,000, and to increase the number of battleships from 273 to at least 350.

Battleships? We have no battleships except as museums! That figure refers to ships TOTAL!

related , here is some good news , Ted Cruz plans to fix our ever weakening military . --- Ted Cruz Reveals Plan to Bolster Military --- and its a good thing , I think that Mr. Trump has similar plans .

Too funny

Speaking in front of a World War II Navy dive bomber inside the U.S.S. Yorktown, Cruz called for increasing the number of active duty troops, airplanes and fighting ships. He also called for expanding the Air Force to include at least 6,000 airplanes, up from 4,000, and to increase the number of battleships from 273 to at least 350.

Battleships? We have no battleships except as museums! That figure refers to ships TOTAL!
Don't yell at me

I know that, obviously Cruz doesn't

gentlemen , yes , USA military is very strong , I just want to see USA military stronger . I don't mind spending the money for more strength . Concerning Obama , hey , mrobama is a wusse and a terrible 'cic' in my opinion and my opinion is shared by millions of Americans that share my politics . .

Stronger than what? Do you know how much firepower is in just ONE carrier battle group? We have 11 carriers currently in service.

List of aircraft carriers of the United States Navy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

68, 69, 70, 71, 72,
73, 74, 75, 76, 77

Looks like 10 to me.

Too funny

Don't yell at me

I know that, obviously Cruz doesn't

So where is the link to the quote?

Like Carter, Obama ran our military into the dirt and spit on them. America will rise again, and there will be debts collected in the future

-Geaux

Carter reduced the military after Vietnam. It is what you are supposed to do

Obama's reductions are the result of pulling troops out of Iraq/Afghanistan and the stupid 10% sequester that Congress forced on him

After Vietnam our military needed rebuilt, not reduced.

Reagan tried to rebuild by throwing money at it. Problem is he spent money to fight the wrong war and bought equipment to fight the wrong mission

Tell it to the Soviets.

Oh, wait, you can't.

Also, Tell it to the Iraqis. Reagans' military is the one we have for the Hundred Hours War.

Reagan built a Cold War military that was obsolete once the Berlin Wall fell

Yeah, it was so obsolete that we decided to gut all of it in the early 90s and did not even have enough amphibious ships to mount an invasion of Haiti and had to do it with Army helicopters with fixed rotors flying from an aircraft carrier! I never knew Rube Goldberg served in the Pentagon before that!

The title speaks for itself. A very, very disturbing data point

-Geaux

=================

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • 49% say U.S. is No. 1 military power in world, down from last year
  • Views that U.S. is spending too little on defense are edging up
  • Republicans much more likely to say military spending is too little
PRINCETON, N.J. -- Americans are evenly split when asked if the U.S. is No. 1 in the world militarily, with 49% saying "yes" and 49% saying "no." The current percentage who view the U.S. as No. 1 is, by a small margin, the lowest Gallup has recorded in its 23-year trend. It also marks a significant downturn from last February, when 59% said the U.S. was the world's top military power.

Americans Less Likely to See U.S. as No. 1 Militarily

Despite the facts to the contrary.

Another pole revealing how stupid and uninformed Americans are.

The next 8 navies could fit inside our Navy.

What kind of pole are you using? Telephone, flag,...?

Obama's reductions are the result of pulling troops out of Iraq/Afghanistan and the stupid 10% sequester that Congress forced on him

Reagan tried to rebuild by throwing money at it. Problem is he spent money to fight the wrong war and bought equipment to fight the wrong mission

Tell it to the Soviets.

Oh, wait, you can't.

Also, Tell it to the Iraqis. Reagans' military is the one we have for the Hundred Hours War.

Oh My God.

Well, yes. It succeeded and thus was no longer needed.

One could say the same about the military that FDR built. ONce WWII was over it was obsolete.

I'm not sure what the point of that is.

I made breakfast this morning. Once I was full, what was left was no longer needed.

Once the Soviets were cracked under the pressure. Reagan and then GHWBush started cutting, faster and faster.

The cuts were made when Clinton was elected. Just look at the number of ships the Navy lost in 1993 and 1994.

Tell it to the Soviets.

Oh, wait, you can't.

Yeah, it was so obsolete that we decided to gut all of it in the early 90s and did not even have enough amphibious ships to mount an invasion of Haiti and had to do it with Army helicopters with fixed rotors flying from an aircraft carrier! I never knew Rube Goldberg served in the Pentagon before that!
The Cold War military did not care about amphibious ships, close combat support aircraft, rapid deployment forces

It was all about massed Divisions, heavy armor and nukes

SIze matters.

They were all crap

Google is your friend

You are welcome to look up the condition of the Soviet military and prove me wrong about how much Reagan overreacted

Got it. YOu made a claim and cannot back it up, not even a little.

I've heard the revisionist history from you libs before.

It is the worst type of self serving, self deluded nonsense.

ANyone that dismisses a military that vastly outnumbers(ed) you is a fool.

Tell it to the Soviets.

Oh, wait, you can't.

The Cold War military did not care about amphibious ships, close combat support aircraft, rapid deployment forces

Yeah, that's why we had so many of them that we decommissioned in 1993 and 1994. You are talking out of your backside again!

Tell it to the Soviets.

Oh, wait, you can't.

Oh My God.

Well, yes. It succeeded and thus was no longer needed.

One could say the same about the military that FDR built. ONce WWII was over it was obsolete.

I'm not sure what the point of that is.

I made breakfast this morning. Once I was full, what was left was no longer needed.

Once the Soviets were cracked under the pressure. Reagan and then GHWBush started cutting, faster and faster.

The cuts were made when Clinton was elected. Just look at the number of ships the Navy lost in 1993 and 1994.

THe sharpest drop in military spending took place under GWHBush, and started under Reagan.

They cuts kept going under Clinton, far more than they should have.

Did you miss that whole the Pentagon telling Congress to stop buying shit they don't need?

Like tanks?

You do realize where this is coming from, right?
--------------------------------- its my opinion that the USA is getting weaker due to mrobama and his policies Disir . mrobama has lots of influence on his boys and girls in the pentagon and I don't trust them because I don't trust mrobama !! The most important thing for the USA to have is the strongest and best military and weapons in the world and I am very happy to spend money on them Disir !!
Mr. Oblama spends a trillion a year on the military, how is that making it weaker?

Can we all have some of what you are taking? It must be some good stuff!
You can take it in the azz?

Why, yes. Yes, he can. He does so on a regular basis.

A reduction in manpower makes sense when the war is over.

But while the US was mired in Vietnam, the soviets were building tanks and planes and nukes.

Our conventional forces needed upgraded and our military needed to have the damage of Vietnam fixed.

Did you ever see the military build up that Carter Planned for after the Soviets sent him a reality check with their invasion of Afghanistan?

It was GLORIOUS.

Even Carter realize, albeit late, that the military needed more funding, not less.

How did that work out for the Soviets?

Russia is still using that ancient equipment

It was working out fine for them until Reagan came along.

How does that relate to my point about the Carter military reduction in spending?

I worked for the DOD while both Carter and Reagan were President

Under Carter, we were drawing down our forces and regrouping. Carter did fund many modernization efforts and aircraft that we still use today

With Reagan, it was like Christmas. Any military project you proposed got approved. It was the days of Star Wars and Cold War on steroids

I also saw what happened with all the equipment and projects that Reagan green lighted. The Cold War doctrine was obsolete. Our Army was too slow to fight modern engagements. Our Air Force was built around dropping nukes and not tactical missions. Our Navy had the wrong mix of ships

By the 90s, we had to start over

Reagan inherited a military that didn't trust sentries to have bullets in war zones.

8 years later GHWBush inherited a military that won the Hundred Hours War.

I guess you do not know the difference in hours and days?

Tell it to the Soviets.

Oh, wait, you can't.

Sure, that's why they deployed the A-10 Warthog in 1976. And the Apache of course.

Forum List

Back