Fundamentalist LDS & the Lost Boys

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
A sad story about boys getting run out of town - quite literally - because of a church sect's control of a town in southern Utah. The feds ought to be involved in this.

------------------------------------
Lost to the Only Life They Knew By David Kelly Times Staff Writer
Mon Jun 13, 7:55 AM ET

ST. GEORGE, Utah — Abandoned by his family, faith and community, Gideon Barlow arrived here an orphan from another world.

At first, he played the tough guy, aloof and hard. But when no one was watching, he would cry.

The freckle-faced 17-year-old said he was left to fend for himself last year after being forced out of Colorado City, Ariz., a town about 40 miles east of here, just over the state line.

"I couldn't see how my mom would let them do what they did to me," he said.

When he tried to visit her on Mother's Day, he said, she told him to stay away. When he begged to give her a present, she said she wanted nothing.

"I am dead to her now," he said.

Gideon is one of the "Lost Boys," a group of more than 400 teenagers — some as young as 13 — who authorities in Utah and Arizona say have fled or been driven out of the polygamous enclaves of Hildale, Utah, and Colorado City over the last four years.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/latimests/l...MwXxiGs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2bm5xNHVjBHNlYwNtcA--

Just an FYI....

"forced out of Colorado City, Arizona"

Arizona is not in Utah.

Reminds me of the time I told somebody I lived in Nevada... (they were from NYC). They asked me, "is Nevada in California?".

freeandfun1 said:
Just an FYI....

"forced out of Colorado City, Arizona"

Arizona is not in Utah.

Reminds me of the time I told somebody I lived in Nevada... (they were from NYC). They asked me, "is Nevada in California?".

True... but the other town involved, Hillsdale, is in Utah. So it's a cross-border problem! :D

gop_jeff said:
True... but the other town involved, Hillsdale, is in Utah. So it's a cross-border problem! :D
This is just up the road from Vegas and it is constantly on the news here. I have some friends (LDS) from St. George (nice little town and growing like crazy) and this is becoming a major problem in southern Utah and northern Arizona. I agree with you. Something must be done. It is known by the local authorities that these "men" running these groups are taking wives as young as 11 and 12 years old.

freeandfun1 said:
This is just up the road from Vegas and it is constantly on the news here. I have some friends (LDS) from St. George (nice little town and growing like crazy) and this is becoming a major problem in southern Utah and northern Arizona. I agree with you. Something must be done. It is known by the local authorities that these "men" running these groups are taking wives as young as 11 and 12 years old.

WTF... are girls even able to reproduce at that age?!? :puke:

gop_jeff said:
WTF... are girls even able to reproduce at that age?!? :puke:
Often, they are taking the children of their brothers (yes, their nieces) as wives. They don't "legally" marry the girls, but they marry them in the "church". Most of the men in these communes have up to 5 - 10 wives ranging in age from about 12 on up.

freeandfun1 said:
Often, they are taking the children of their brothers (yes, their nieces) as wives. They don't "legally" marry the girls, but they marry them in the "church". Most of the men in these communes have up to 5 - 10 wives ranging in age from about 12 on up.

Ridiculous. And sick. I mean, polygamy is one thing (and bad enough), but polygamy with physically immature girls is terrible. The feds should sweep into these towns and throw the whole lot of them into jail.

gop_jeff said:
Ridiculous. And sick. I mean, polygamy is one thing (and bad enough), but polygamy with physically immature girls is terrible. The feds should sweep into these towns and throw the whole lot of them into jail.
I totally agree. Utah has always turned their back on this kind of stuff but I am surprised that Arizona is also. Something must be done. They had a short series about this on the local news about a year ago or so and some of the girls have run away and are telling about how they are held against their will, forced into these marriages, etc. Some of the girls have had children while being 13 or 14 years old. Often times the girls that are born are promised, at birth, to boys, young men and even adult men of the community once they reach "maturity". In other words, at birth it is decided whom they will marry in the future. It is all kinda sick if you ask me and something needs to be done about it all.

freeandfun1 said:
I totally agree. Utah has always turned their back on this kind of stuff but I am surprised that Arizona is also. Something must be done. They had a short series about this on the local news about a year ago or so and some of the girls have run away and are telling about how they are held against their will, forced into these marriages, etc. Some of the girls have had children while being 13 or 14 years old. Often times the girls that are born are promised, at birth, to boys, young men and even adult men of the community once they reach "maturity". In other words, at birth it is decided whom they will marry in the future. It is all kinda sick if you ask me and something needs to be done about it all.

First of all you’re very wrong on this, Utah has been very strongly against polygamist the last five to ten years. It seems like this subject is constantly on the news these days, and many of the polygamist groups leaders are wanted men, and fled the state. Personally the way Polygamy is being practiced these days is very sickening, and I was working on a post how bad it really has become. All try to finish it up and post it soon.

Be aware I have heard of polygamist communities spreading from Texas to Canada. The are fleeing there tradition communities because of current heat placed upon them.

freeandfun1 said:

Actually Utah hasnt been turning their backs on this. That is why these groups are trying to branch out elsewhere. I know these polygamous sects have been causing problems in western texas recently. And these groups are getting dangerous. I took a look at the FLDS website a few years ago when it was still up (Im not sure it still is since they did some changes) but they seem to be very close to the edge of violence.

The problem with prosecuting these people is that its quite difficult to enforce the laws against it. Its the same problem that we have with almost all sex laws. its hard to tell what people do in their own homes. also as someone mentioned they dont "legally" marry these children they have private ceramonies so it can be impossible for people outside the community to tell who is married.

But i do agree. we need to do something about this. I honestly dont have that big a problem with polygamy itself. its the abuse of these pre teens that i have major problems with. and with the fact that i think this sect can be violent. not a good combination.

Forum List

Back