How to argue with a "Christian" who thinks you are a agent of Satan if you use NIV?

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
There's a guy on my F150 board who claims ANYTHING but the original King James is a perversion and a tool of the AntiChrist....I say, the guy is nuts.

Thoughts?

-=d=- said:
There's a guy on my F150 board who claims ANYTHING but the original King James is a perversion and a tool of the AntiChrist....I say, the guy is nuts.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I just tell those nutjobs to get lost. I have several different newer translations, the NASB and the NIV, but not the KJV. How the hell do they think we can still understand that old Middle English stuff anyway? It's a mystery to me... :duh3:

-=d=- said:

Thoughts?

I just wouldn't let those folks get to you. A mature Christian isn't going to judge you or others on that issue. I have visited many different non-denominational and denominational churches, and some have very strong doctrinal views on which bible translation is ordained by God.

None have given a response that made any sense, except to reveal a very unchristian attitude at most.

The NIV, the New American Standard are both excellent translations as well as the good old K.J.'s.

It is an unfounded bias. I personally like the N.A.S. or New American Standard, but also refer to the NIV.

I do have a problem, when some authors jump from one translation to another when trying to support their writings with scripture.

Rick Warren has done this liberally in his best seller, "The Purpose Driven Life". He has utilized many different translations in order to emphasize or support his views. Unfortunately Warren used these different translations at times to make some "stretches" biblically.

Bottom line is this: Use the translation that is easiest for you to understand what God's trying to say to you. Even the para-phrased Living Bible can be very helpful.

Some new Christians will start out with a Para-phrase in modern english, and gradually work into a standard translation, such as K.J., NIV, or NAS.

Translations to avoid because they are not accurate, would be the New World Translation that is offered by Watch Tower or the Jehovah's Witnesses. i.e. Most references to Jesus being God in the Triune sense or definition have been purposely removed or altered in the New World Translation. This was purposefully done, because the J.W's founder, and their continued doctrinal stance is that Jesus was a created being and not eternal God as God the Father and God the Holy Spirit. They have mutated the famous gospel of John verse that says, "was God(in reference to Jesus) to "was a god(lower case G, and "a god", not "is God".
Avoid, the book of Mormon, as this is the ramblings and part biblical plagerisms of the false prophet Joseph Smith Jr.. although most Mormon missionaries do carry a K.J. translation. Mormon concept of Jesus is far from biblical.

I lead a bible study of men outside the church and the men in my group bring different translations with them to the study. They have all chosen what works best for them.

All of the good translations mentioned do have weak areas where the other translation may have a clearer or more accurate wording, but the overall intent, of these translations; K.J., NIV, and NAS, are excellent and scriptural.

One last reminder as one Christian to another. Your heart and mind will be at ease if you read Galatians, authored by Paul. These folks that tell you that you should only read the K.J. or your sinning are basically fullfilling the role Judeazers, or like the folks that Paul had to contend with the the Church of Galatia. There was an element in the Galatian church that was pressuring the gentile, Galatian church members to under-go circumcision, and other Jewish based formalities to be accepted as believers. Paul had to express some pretty strong language towards these ones he called Judeazers.

Anytime a person, in the name of Jesus or as a Christian tells you to change what your doing in some way or you will be sinning, immediately test that person's statement against scripture. One good test is to test those folks lives against scripture. Are they being Pharasitical, or acting like Pharisee's. Are they judging you by biblical standards or their own? Remember that Jesus said that the Pharisee's looked for splinters in other's eyes, while all along they had log-sized splinters in their own.

False guilt is one of the biggest enemies of Christians. Believers are constantly besieged by do's and don'ts, and this is the very thing that Jesus came to end. Our lives are not supposed to be controlled by don't touch this, don't say that, or don't eat that, but by God's Spirit. This is the Spirit of peace and rest, whilst the storm rages outside. We are to cease striving and just know that God is in control. We don't pray because we want to maintain are salvation or tithe to do the same or voluteer either. We are to be motivated from a position of rest, not worry about whether we are doing something correct or not.

God's Spirit utilizes the scripture that we retain in our minds and allows those truths to trickle down deep in our inner Man, and the change comes from withing, not from the exterior things we do.

Just remember when someone says, "King James only!". I personally believe that these judgemental Christians are actually used by old, "fuzzy nose", to cast a good case of false guilt on the truly, seeking believer.

Phillipians 4:6-7...."Be anxious(do not worry) for nothing, but in everything let your request be know to God...................(there's more).

Psalms 46:10 "Cease striving, and know that I am God."

-=d=- said:

Thoughts?

Why argue anyway...you will not change this persons mind anymore than he will change yours...I personally read the King James numerous times...still do not understand everything but have the jest of most....I say read whatever makes you comfortable and not argue semantics! :blues:

How much do the translations vary? and are there certain groups that prefer a certain version for specific reasons? Are they slanted different ways?

rtwngAvngr said:
How much do the translations vary? and are there certain groups that prefer a certain version for specific reasons? Are they slanted different ways?

The King James Version (KJV) is written in 17th century English. Most modern translations are written in 20th century English.

The KJV is a 'word-for-word' translation, as are other modern translations, notably the New American Standard Bible (NASB). Other translations, like the New International Version (NIV) and New Living Translation (NLT) are a 'thought-for-thought' translation, meaning the wording varies a little bit, but the intent of the thought is intact, and in some cases more clearly translated. This is the only "slant" to be found in different translations.

The KJV only people are usually found in very conservative denominations. The NIV is accepted throught most American Protestant churches. Other Bibles, such as the NLT, NASB, and several others, are used with varying degrees of popularity.

-=d=- said:

Thoughts?

Tell him anything other than the original hebrew/greek version is a tool of the antichrist and he is a servant of the devil for using KJV.

Tell him anything other than the original hebrew/greek version is a tool of the antichrist and he is a servant of the devil for using KJV.

Exactly what I was about to say, but you beat me to it. :clap:

gop_jeff said:
:clap: :clap: :laugh:

That is awesome. I'll remember that one!

Well i figure if you are going to argue something that absurd, then you may as well have something as absurd but more valid.

Then add that Christ spoke in Aramaic and if he reads the words of Christ and speaks them in any other language he is a tool of the devil. (Sorry to ride on your idea, but it seems more fun to add that he has to learn a language that only about 20 people speak today.)

Bottom line is:

These K.J. version-only folks should just be ignored. They aren't your conscience........You answer to a higher power. If anything, these folks are being used by old "fuzzy nose" to trample on your freedom in Christ. The enemy of Christians isn't stupid and doesn't identify himself. No, coy, enemy would do that. The enemy often uses human instruments to further his plans. Well, meaning people can be the most destructive folks in the church, as they say, "thus sayeth the Lord", to make others snap back into line, according to their gospel.

There is a big difference between accusation and encouragement coming from Christian brothers and sisters. When one causes another's heart to be troubled, this may not be a spirit of peace, but a spirit of discord. In the end, there will be many weeds that will be mixed in with the wheat.

On a lighter note. Often when folks first become Christians, their exuberance often goes ahead of common sense, as they experience release and relief from burdens of their previous life. Many times these young, yet immature believers will with good intentions, want to "help" others, but actually do the opposite.

As one grows in the Christian faith, one should ideally be learning to let God have more control of their lives. New believers often over do it, thinking they are helping others to have what they have. They don't realize that are not harvesters, but most likely seed planters, and waterers.

Hopefully, these exuberant K.J.-only folks will mellow out, and stop hindering or hurting other believers. God has a way of allowing things to happen in lives of believers to gradually get them back on track, if they are willing to pay attention.

Forum List

Back