Fuck the NTSB... I'm using my Bluetooth regardless of what Congress does...

Hey...I don't care if you do use your cell phones... in fact, let's repeal the DUI laws too. With one exception...If you kill someone their families can sue your miserable life out of existence.

They already can. Leave it up to the lawyers...they get a third of any settlement. What a bunch of goddam vultures. OH!!!!! I forgot...about half or more of the U S congress is made up of lawyers.

First, it's a safety issue. Drivers - especially teens - are way too distracted with their cell phones. Just talking on a phone while driving (let alone texting) is dangerous. Second, it's a non binding recommendation. Ultimately, it'll be up to individual states if they want such legislation.

It's being submitted to congress for a national ban. It's ludicrous. Talking on my phone first and foremost is my freedom. Secondly are they also going to ban me from talking to a passenger, singing along to a song I like, eating, applying makeup for the girls, eating, looking at scenery, reprimanding kids, or any other distracting activity?

Fuck it, just ban me from leaving my bedroom because an accident might even happen in the kitchen or on my front steps.

Fuckin Nazi state bullshit.

"The recommendation, which isn't binding but which is likely to influence the decisions of Congress and state legislatures in writing new safety laws, makes only two exceptions: You could still use GPS navigation devices, and you could use your cell phone in an emergency."

I agree with Gramps. To further Gramps argument by adding my own thoughts I would say it should be left up to the states and Bluetooth should be allowed. Gramps makes good points tho.

I do however agree I'd like to live in a a state where you needs hands free.

The REASON so many people text now is BECAUSE of the cell phone bans. If they allowed people to TALK, they wouldn't be hiding their phones on their laps. Unintended consequences.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
The REASON so many people text now is BECAUSE of the cell phone bans. If they allowed people to TALK, they wouldn't be hiding their phones on their laps. Unintended consequences.

It doesn't make any difference. They've discovered that texting is more fatal than drunk driving. When a DUI causes a death 80% of people are asleep in their bed. Texting and cells go on 24-7.

No offense, but that is a weak argument. Teenagers prefer texting to talking. My nephew rarely answers his phone when I call; but if I text him, he texts right back. And yes, he did actually tell me that he prefers to text. And anyway, talking on the phone while driving isn't much safer than texting while driving.

No offense, but that is a weak argument. Teenagers prefer texting to talking. My nephew rarely answers his phone when I call; but if I text him, he texts right back. And yes, he did actually tell me that he prefers to text. And anyway, talking on the phone while driving isn't much safer than texting while driving.

Nearly 40 years ago when I was teaching my children to drive I taught them to keep their hands on the wheel and their eyes on the road. I told them that driving is a full time job. I've driven nearly two million miles during my lifetime and other than a couple of fender benders which were someone else's fault I've never had an accident. I think anyone who uses a phone or computer while they're driving has their head up their ass. It's stupidity in it's rarest form.

It is not a weak argument. Yes, many teens (and adults) prefer to text, but I believe the reason they do it in cars is because they don't want to be seen by a cop. I certainly know a few people who have said so.

As state legislators across the United States enact laws that ban phoning and/or texting while driving, a new Highway Loss Data Institute study finds no reductions in crashes after hand-held phone bans take effect. Comparing insurance claims for crash damage in 4 US jurisdictions before and after such bans, the researchers find steady claim rates compared with nearby jurisdictions without such bans. The Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI) is an affiliate of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

HLDI news release

I also read that DESPITE BANS, MORE PEOPLE are admitting to texting while driving.

If drivers were permitted to talk without fear of being pulled over, I honestly think many would give up texting. Perhaps they should decrease the penalties for talking, and increase the penalties for texting.

I know it's dangerous. But I'd be much more comfortable with my kid driving slower because he's on the phone, than taking his eyes off the road to text people.

Hands free seems like the safest compromise. That's probably why they want to do away with that too. :mad:

While I have never been rear ended by a person talking on a cell phone, I have been by a woman putting on make up, a kid changing a CD and a man who spilled his coffee in his lap.

So my advice is to buy the biggest car you can because you will be run into by some idiot on the road.

Exactly. I've always driven a large vehicle.

When I had a long commute to work, I used to listen to books on tape. I can't tell you how many times I missed my exit. Is that where we're headed?

Probably the biggest distraction is crying babies. Maybe they should ban anyone under 18 from riding in a car.:cuckoo:

When I had a long commute to work, I used to listen to books on tape. I can't tell you how many times I missed my exit. Is that where we're headed?

Probably the biggest distraction is crying babies. Maybe they should ban anyone under 18 from riding in a car.:cuckoo:

When people start killing people because of crying babies in the car you could well see laws against crying babies too.

When people start killing people because of crying babies in the car you could well see laws against crying babies too.

I'm cool with that. There is nothing more annoying than a crying baby.

If the Feds do find a way to get in on the money just imagine how big the fine is going to be with state and federal fees added on.

Plus if your phone is in the center console and is visible to an LEO say, during a pullover for something else (i.e. seat belts) "Now why is that cell phone sitting there, sir?"

cha ching!

If the Feds do find a way to get in on the money just imagine how big the fine is going to be with state and federal fees added on.

Plus if your phone is in the center console and is visible to an LEO say, during a pullover for something else (i.e. seat belts) "Now why is that cell phone sitting there, sir?"

cha ching!

You might have to prove that you weren't texting. That should be quite easy to do as they are saved automatically.

Not likely. :doubt: From 2001:
According to a 2001 national survey conducted by the Network of Employers for Traffic Safety (NETS), activities drivers engage in while driving include: talking to passengers (96%), adjusting vehicle climate/radio controls (89%), eating a meal/snack (74%), using a cell phone (51%), tending to children (41%), reading a map/publication (34%), grooming (19%), and preparing for work (11%).

Distracted Driving Causes Fatal Crashes

Shouldn't they have some science to rely on?

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, in separate studies of cell-phone use and texting while driving, concluded that banning the phones doesn’t improve driver safety.

The research group, which is funded by the insurance industry, said it compared states with laws prohibiting cell-phone use with states that had no similar laws, and there was no difference in traffic crashes or fatalities. In the case of texting, there was a slight increase in crashes for states that adopted anti-texting rules, an Insurance Institute spokesman said.

Would A Cell-Phone Ban For Cars Be Overkill? - Driver's Seat - WSJ

Why doesn't driving while talking/texting fall under 'distracted driving' laws that already exist? That's exactly what it is.

For those who are ok w/hands-free? It's not your hands, it's your mind, your cognitive mind, where the problem lies.

Driving is one of the most cognitively complex activities. To drive safely, we have to concentrate, observe and process information quickly and correctly. We have to respond to all sorts of information that is constantly bombarding us from all directions as we drive. We have to be able to estimate speed and distance quickly and correctly. Driving really requires 100% of our attention.

When we speak on the cell phone while we are driving, we may think we are multi tasking. In fact, our brains do not really “multi task”. Our attention is divided between activities, and our brain switches quickly from one activity to the other.

The danger of talking on a cell phone while driving lies in the fact that the brain can’t process separate streams of information efficiently. Furthermore, it is “hard-wired” to prioritize attention to the cell phone conversation. Since words spoken during a cell phone conversation “disappear” once they are spoken, the brain must attend closely to the audio information to be sure it captures the conversation.

The visual view of the road or highway does not change as rapidly as the audio information, so the brain periodically ignores some of the visual information. Also, when people are talking on the phone, they are not just talking; they are seeing all kinds of images in their mind. This visualization may be harmless most of the time, but it can be a real tragedy when a pedestrian steps into traffic or a car swerves into another lane. When we are talking on the phone, the brain lacks the processing power to react quickly enough to these changing situations.

Conversely, driving and talking to a passenger in the car is not dangerous because adult riders help keep the driver alert and can also point out dangerous conditions, and are quieter in heavy traffic or hazardous weather.

So which cognitive skills are most affected by cell phone use? Attention, visual scanning, information processing and decision making are the most affected cognitive skills. When you think about driving, you realize how much you need these cognitive skills, and how risky it could be to reduce the effectiveness of any of these functions when you’re driving.

The bottom line is that talking on the cell phone while driving is dangerous. Safe driving is not just about keeping our eyes on the road and our hands on the wheel; it’s about focusing our brains on one of the most cognitively-challenging activities we routinely perform.

CogniFit's blog: Driving, Cell Phones And Cognitive Abilities

More here:

http://www.fnal.gov/pub/traffic_safety/files/NSC White Paper - Distracted Driving 3-10.pdf

Chanel, you provided an excellent example of why people should not talk on the phone - or listen to books on tape - while driving. You were distracted to the point of missing an exit . . . what if that had been a car pulling out in front of you? Bam.

Why doesn't driving while talking/texting fall under 'distracted driving' laws that already exist? That's exactly what it is.

For those who are ok w/hands-free? It's not your hands, it's your mind, your cognitive mind, where the problem lies.

Driving is one of the most cognitively complex activities. To drive safely, we have to concentrate, observe and process information quickly and correctly. We have to respond to all sorts of information that is constantly bombarding us from all directions as we drive. We have to be able to estimate speed and distance quickly and correctly. Driving really requires 100% of our attention.

When we speak on the cell phone while we are driving, we may think we are multi tasking. In fact, our brains do not really “multi task”. Our attention is divided between activities, and our brain switches quickly from one activity to the other.

The danger of talking on a cell phone while driving lies in the fact that the brain can’t process separate streams of information efficiently. Furthermore, it is “hard-wired” to prioritize attention to the cell phone conversation. Since words spoken during a cell phone conversation “disappear” once they are spoken, the brain must attend closely to the audio information to be sure it captures the conversation.

The visual view of the road or highway does not change as rapidly as the audio information, so the brain periodically ignores some of the visual information. Also, when people are talking on the phone, they are not just talking; they are seeing all kinds of images in their mind. This visualization may be harmless most of the time, but it can be a real tragedy when a pedestrian steps into traffic or a car swerves into another lane. When we are talking on the phone, the brain lacks the processing power to react quickly enough to these changing situations.

Conversely, driving and talking to a passenger in the car is not dangerous because adult riders help keep the driver alert and can also point out dangerous conditions, and are quieter in heavy traffic or hazardous weather.

So which cognitive skills are most affected by cell phone use? Attention, visual scanning, information processing and decision making are the most affected cognitive skills. When you think about driving, you realize how much you need these cognitive skills, and how risky it could be to reduce the effectiveness of any of these functions when you’re driving.

The bottom line is that talking on the cell phone while driving is dangerous. Safe driving is not just about keeping our eyes on the road and our hands on the wheel; it’s about focusing our brains on one of the most cognitively-challenging activities we routinely perform.

More here:

http://www.fnal.gov/pub/traffic_safety/files/NSC White Paper - Distracted Driving 3-10.pdf

Chanel, you provided an excellent example of why people should not talk on the phone - or listen to books on tape - while driving. You were distracted to the point of missing an exit . . . what if that had been a car pulling out in front of you? Bam.

Perfect driving record despite my occasional distractions. (I hope I didn't just jinx myself :eek:)

My point is that there are a zillion distractions and we can't eliminate them all. Should we ban radios and books on tape? The data on cell phone use does not back up the law.

As I have stated before, I would like to see texting eliminated. But one way to discourage it, is to allow people to call. If they are "distracted" by a phone call, there are already laws on the books for that.

Hand-free would solve a lot of problems IMHO.

More here:

Perfect driving record despite my occasional distractions. (I hope I didn't just jinx myself :eek:)

My point is that there are a zillion distractions and we can't eliminate them all. Should we ban radios and books on tape? The data on cell phone use does not back up the law.

As I have stated before, I would like to see texting eliminated. But one way to discourage it, is to allow people to call. If they are "distracted" by a phone call, there are already laws on the books for that.

I think that anyone who wishes to use a cell or other devices while driving ,must take a mandatory "multitasking while driving" test.
if they pass ,they get a tag on their license ,if stopped they can proceed unhindered.
if they fail and are caught using said devices, a minimum $10.000 fine and community service ticket will be issued.
if either causes a death or injury accident ,a 3 year jail term is automatic and all cell and device privileges will be revoked permanently.

More here:

Books on tape . . . cell phones . . . texting while driving . . . . kids screaming . . . putting on makeup . . . . eating while driving . . . .all are distractions. Some are more distracting that others. Categorize them (you can't toss your kids out of the car ... ok well, they really frown up doing that) and fine the crap out of people who break the law on those categorize distractions. Ban them? They're distractions and we have distracted driving laws, so wouldn't they fall under that?

I disagree about hands-free. It's not the hands, it's the mind.

Forum List

Back