From humble worker to Hamas leader

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007
"TEL AVIV, Israel – Danny Mahlouf, a 70-year-old Israeli plasterer from Ashkelon, has a message for Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh, and it’s personal. "Tell Ismail Haniyeh to lose the beard, and stop making trouble!"

They go way back. In the late ‘80s, Haniyeh worked for five years as a plasterer in Ashkelon and Mahlouf was his boss. "We were close friends but we lost contact," Mahlouf said. "Then one day my son was watching TV and suddenly he shouted, Dad, come quickly, Ismail’s on TV. He’s prime minister!"

Image: Ismail Haniyeh
Hatem Moussa / AP file
Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh waves to supporters in Gaza City, Dec. 8.

Their story tells much about the ties between Jews and Arabs that have been lost in the violence. The relationships between Israelis and Palestinians weren’t always full of the tension and hatred that often characterize them today, and that raises the possibility that one day, somehow, it could go back to the more peaceful days.

Old friends
I met Mahlouf in a café in Ashkelon, while waiting for Grad rockets to fall, fired by Haniyeh’s men in Gaza. My new friends in the café, where I went every day during the recent three-week war, told me Mahlouf’s story and said I must meet him. Then one day he came in, and we talked for an hour.

He’s a tough old guy who still works a six-day week. He stood up, blew out his chest, patted his firm stomach and boomed, "Guess how old I am! Ismail would recognize me right away!"

I won’t get in the way of his words, for they tumbled out. But it’s Mahlouf’s explanation of why he believes Ismail Haniyeh changed from a humble worker to an Islamic militant, and what his old friend thinks about him:

"He was a good worker, he worked for me for five years on a salary. He went with my son to Netanya, all over, he came to my house and I went to his in Gaza.

"There was no border post then, we all just came and went. We went to him, I went to Jabaliya like going to my own home, we ate fish there, we lived together, no difference between Jews and Arabs. We ate together, they went to Tel Aviv in their cars, I went to his house, his old house, not the new one now! Gaza was like Tel Aviv for me.

"Weddings, funerals, we were friends. He came with his wife and two children to my daughter’s wedding. But one day his brother was killed and from that very day he became a Hamasnik."

On May 20, 1990, an Israeli, Ami Popper, who had been dishonorably discharged from the army, lined up Arab workers in the road in Rishon-le-Zion, and killed seven. One of them was Haniyeh’s brother. Popper was sentenced to seven life terms for murder, one for each of the seven Palestinians he killed, but he could be paroled by 2023.

Palestinian women fight to fill gas canisters in Gaza
SLIDESHOW: Gaza's road to recovery
‘I’ll never come to Israel again’
"I went to Ismail’s house for the funeral," Mahlouf continued. "There were four men in masks. I thought, walla! I’m finished. I’m a dead man. Then one took off his mask and it was Ismail. He said, ‘I told you not to come. I’m finished. I’ll never come to Israel again.’ He came with me to the Erez border to make sure I was safe, and he never came back to work. I never saw him again.

"He wasn’t religious – only later when his brother died. Then I didn’t see him again till [I saw him on] TV, and he’s prime minister! But today, let him stay in the bunker.

"That day at the funeral, I told him, get better, you can’t kill the Jews, we are one state, you are many, you won’t beat us.

"What’s to talk about? They ate with us, worked with us, lived like kings. What happened? They want to get rid of us, what? Tough, we have our state, that’s it. Nothing they can do about it. There they kill each other, what did they get out of it?

"That’s it, if you see him, best wishes to Haniyeh. I say to him, Ismail, get better, stop making problems, it’s over. That’s my message to Ismail. And lose the beard. Tell him your boss, Danny the plasterer, Rachel’s husband, sends his best wishes and stop making all those problems. We all want peace."

From humble worker to Hamas leader - World Blog - msnbc.com

"TEL AVIV, Israel – Danny Mahlouf, a 70-year-old Israeli plasterer from Ashkelon, has a message for Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh, and it’s personal. "Tell Ismail Haniyeh to lose the beard, and stop making trouble!"

They go way back. In the late ‘80s, Haniyeh worked for five years as a plasterer in Ashkelon and Mahlouf was his boss. "We were close friends but we lost contact," Mahlouf said. "Then one day my son was watching TV and suddenly he shouted, Dad, come quickly, Ismail’s on TV. He’s prime minister!"

Hatem Moussa / AP file

Their story tells much about the ties between Jews and Arabs that have been lost in the violence. The relationships between Israelis and Palestinians weren’t always full of the tension and hatred that often characterize them today, and that raises the possibility that one day, somehow, it could go back to the more peaceful days.

Old friends
I met Mahlouf in a café in Ashkelon, while waiting for Grad rockets to fall, fired by Haniyeh’s men in Gaza. My new friends in the café, where I went every day during the recent three-week war, told me Mahlouf’s story and said I must meet him. Then one day he came in, and we talked for an hour.

He’s a tough old guy who still works a six-day week. He stood up, blew out his chest, patted his firm stomach and boomed, "Guess how old I am! Ismail would recognize me right away!"

I won’t get in the way of his words, for they tumbled out. But it’s Mahlouf’s explanation of why he believes Ismail Haniyeh changed from a humble worker to an Islamic militant, and what his old friend thinks about him:

"He was a good worker, he worked for me for five years on a salary. He went with my son to Netanya, all over, he came to my house and I went to his in Gaza.

"There was no border post then, we all just came and went. We went to him, I went to Jabaliya like going to my own home, we ate fish there, we lived together, no difference between Jews and Arabs. We ate together, they went to Tel Aviv in their cars, I went to his house, his old house, not the new one now! Gaza was like Tel Aviv for me.

"Weddings, funerals, we were friends. He came with his wife and two children to my daughter’s wedding. But one day his brother was killed and from that very day he became a Hamasnik."

On May 20, 1990, an Israeli, Ami Popper, who had been dishonorably discharged from the army, lined up Arab workers in the road in Rishon-le-Zion, and killed seven. One of them was Haniyeh’s brother. Popper was sentenced to seven life terms for murder, one for each of the seven Palestinians he killed, but he could be paroled by 2023.

"I went to Ismail’s house for the funeral," Mahlouf continued. "There were four men in masks. I thought, walla! I’m finished. I’m a dead man. Then one took off his mask and it was Ismail. He said, ‘I told you not to come. I’m finished. I’ll never come to Israel again.’ He came with me to the Erez border to make sure I was safe, and he never came back to work. I never saw him again.

"He wasn’t religious – only later when his brother died. Then I didn’t see him again till [I saw him on] TV, and he’s prime minister! But today, let him stay in the bunker.

"That day at the funeral, I told him, get better, you can’t kill the Jews, we are one state, you are many, you won’t beat us.

"What’s to talk about? They ate with us, worked with us, lived like kings. What happened? They want to get rid of us, what? Tough, we have our state, that’s it. Nothing they can do about it. There they kill each other, what did they get out of it?

"That’s it, if you see him, best wishes to Haniyeh. I say to him, Ismail, get better, stop making problems, it’s over. That’s my message to Ismail. And lose the beard. Tell him your boss, Danny the plasterer, Rachel’s husband, sends his best wishes and stop making all those problems. We all want peace."

Thank you very much for posting this. I may have missed seeing it!

Hatem Moussa / AP file

Old friends

Are you trying to make the point Haniyeh is nuts? The guy who killed his brother got seven life sentences - Israel has no death penalty except for certain crimes associated with the Holocaust - so why would Haniyeh hold all of Israel responsible for this unless he's crazy?

……
………………………………………………………’’~-‘’_ , , ,,’,_/--‘ :clap2:

uh oh.. looks like the Mosad heard our local aipac-American users plea for help!

:lol:

:cool:

Hatem Moussa / AP file

Old friends

Are you trying to make the point Haniyeh is nuts? The guy who killed his brother got seven life sentences - Israel has no death penalty except for certain crimes associated with the Holocaust - so why would Haniyeh hold all of Israel responsible for this unless he's crazy?

yea dude.. CLEARLY being eligible for parole in 2023 is the kind of justice a jew can appreciate. I mean, hell.. it's probably ANTISEMITIC if he doesn't get conjigul visits like Rabin's JEWISH killer. Indeed, I'm sure I can imagine how death penalties in israel apply to non-jews..

But, please, post another pice of fucking IRONIC GOLD like the bolded sentence.. Lord fucking knows your kind are too busy blaming their religion to give the slightest iota consideration that arab reactioins to JEWISH racim is THE factor that causes their alienation to hate you. Hell, why hold a jew accountable when there are plenty of arab toddlers ready to pay the price of your zionism,. eh?

After all, lord fucking knows how loud you'd scream holocaust if I lined up a bunch of jews and shot them dead. Hell, THEN your violent retort would be "self defense", right? Not that I'd care after you made sure that I was, ironically, sentenced to death..

Hatem Moussa / AP file

Old friends

yea dude.. CLEARLY being eligible for parole in 2023 is the kind of justice a jew can appreciate. I mean, hell.. it's probably ANTISEMITIC if he doesn't get conjigul visits like Rabin's JEWISH killer. Indeed, I'm sure I can imagine how death penalties in israel apply to non-jews..

But, please, post another pice of fucking IRONIC GOLD like the bolded sentence.. Lord fucking knows your kind are too busy blaming their religion to give the slightest iota consideration that arab reactioins to JEWISH racim is THE factor that causes their alienation to hate you. Hell, why hold a jew accountable when there are plenty of arab toddlers ready to pay the price of your zionism,. eh?

After all, lord fucking knows how loud you'd scream holocaust if I lined up a bunch of jews and shot them dead. Hell, THEN your violent retort would be "self defense", right? Not that I'd care after you made sure that I was, ironically, sentenced to death..

So your point seems to be that Haniyeh is justified in killing Jews because his brother's killer would become eligible for parole after 33 years in prison. That would be considered crazy just about anywhere in the world.

So your point seems to be that Haniyeh is justified in killing Jews because his brother's killer would become eligible for parole after 33 years in prison. That would be considered crazy just about anywhere in the world.

No, my point is that you people are convinced that your shit don't stink because of your common jewish background while maintaining a state that CLEARLY alienates non-jews, this being a prime example, for the sake of your racist state double standard. Again, how many PM-killers do you think America is about to let have conjigul visits? How many of us dirty fucking goyim would get parole EVER for lining up a series of jews and shooting them dead? Yet, here you are trying to dance around the clear reaction of a pali facing the outright disenfranchisement of his people for the sake of your hatred.

And YOU think HE;s crazy? Again, let me kill some jews, or a presidential level politician, and see how many ethnic perks I get... If you think they don't "get" how racist your zionism is then CLEARLY you need a lesson in the 60s civil rights era here in the US.

No, my point is that you people are convinced that your shit don't stink because of your common jewish background while maintaining a state that CLEARLY alienates non-jews, this being a prime example, for the sake of your racist state double standard. Again, how many PM-killers do you think America is about to let have conjigul visits? How many of us dirty fucking goyim would get parole EVER for lining up a series of jews and shooting them dead? Yet, here you are trying to dance around the clear reaction of a pali facing the outright disenfranchisement of his people for the sake of your hatred.

And YOU think HE;s crazy? Again, let me kill some jews, or a presidential level politician, and see how many ethnic perks I get... If you think they don't "get" how racist your zionism is then CLEARLY you need a lesson in the 60s civil rights era here in the US.

Ok, so your point is that you hate Jews and Haniyeh is justified in killing Jews because his brother's killer will become elgible for parole after 33 years in prison. That would still be considered crazy just about anywhere in the world.

Ok, so your point is that you hate Jews and Haniyeh is justified in killing Jews because his brother's killer will become elgible for parole after 33 years in prison. That would still be considered crazy just about anywhere in the world.

ahhh.. the ole "you hate jews' schtick, eh? Did I beat down your participation so quickly, zionist? I don't hate jews at all. No mroe than I hate germans. But I DO hate jews whose blind zionism outweighs your empathy for humanity. You truly are no better than the nazi who took the same positions you do when rationalizing your own racism.

That didn't take long!

ahhh.. the ole "you hate jews' schtick, eh? Did I beat down your participation so quickly, zionist? I don't hate jews at all. No mroe than I hate germans. But I DO hate jews whose blind zionism outweighs your empathy for humanity. You truly are no better than the nazi who took the same positions you do when rationalizing your own racism.

That didn't take long!

In fact, your hatred of Jews is the main substance of every post you put up in this forum, and the remainder of your posts is make up of feeble attempts to deny or justify it. You are so enthralled by this hatred of Jews that you didn't even realize that your original post showed Haniyeh's brother's killer had received the full measure of punishment available under Israeli law whether Arabs or Jews were involved, and you had to try to cover up this unusual bit of truth in your posts with a contrived rant about racism.

Really, no one is taken in by your act.

That didn't take long!

In fact, your hatred of Jews is the main substance of every post you put up in this forum, and the remainder of your posts is make up of feeble attempts to deny or justify it. You are so enthralled by this hatred of Jews that you didn't even realize that your original post showed Haniyeh's brother's killer had received the full measure of punishment available under Israeli law whether Arabs or Jews were involved, and you had to try to cover up this unusual bit of truth in your posts with a contrived rant about racism.

riiiiigiht, right.. As if we've never see a zionist scream antisemite at the mere idea at facing criticsm time and time and time again..

*yawn*

yea dude.. Assassins of PRIME MINISTERS sure do usually receive conjugal visits! Murderers with "life sentences" sure DO get to look forward to parole in 2023! Anyone who points out this laughable zionist standard, AND THE VIOLENT RESULT THEREOF, clearly MUST just hate joooooooooos...

:eusa_boohoo:

we've heard this tune before, dude. No one misses that YOUR sole input to this forum amounts to the fruition of the very israeli internet task force meant to push jewish propaganda. Hell, look how easy it was to make you scream antisemite when you are faced with evidence that doesn't polish your zionist turd!

:thup:

ps, who the fuck are YOU to use the royal "WE", new guy? You got a jewish mouse in your fucking pocket?

That didn't take long!

riiiiigiht, right.. As if we've never see a zionist scream antisemite at the mere idea at facing criticsm time and time and time again..

*yawn*

yea dude.. Assassins of PRIME MINISTERS sure do usually receive conjugal visits! Murderers with "life sentences" sure DO get to look forward to parole in 2023! Anyone who points out this laughable zionist standard, AND THE VIOLENT RESULT THEREOF, clearly MUST just hate joooooooooos...

we've heard this tune before, dude. No one misses that YOUR sole input to this forum amounts to the fruition of the very israeli internet task force meant to push jewish propaganda. Hell, look how easy it was to make you scream antisemite when you are faced with evidence that doesn't polish your zionist turd!

ps, who the fuck are YOU to use the royal "WE", new guy? You got a jewish mouse in your fucking pocket?

Are you sure you didn't mean to say zionist propaganda instead of jewish propaganda and zionist mouse instead of jewish mouse? After all, you are still trying to pretend you don't hate Jews, aren't you?

*yawn*

Are you sure you didn't mean to say zionist propaganda instead of jewish propaganda and zionist mouse instead of jewish mouse? After all, you are still trying to pretend you don't hate Jews, aren't you?

not at all. Since, CLEARLY, you equate zionism with all jews and don't seperate the ethnicity from the racist new-nazi politics behind your movement.

But, it's funny to watch you try so hard to deflect from the OP in some tritle little martyr dance. QUICK! FEEL LIKE A VICTIM AND SCREAM JOOOOO HATER!

Make whatever accusation you need to, guy. LORD KNOWS you will be the FIRST zionist to lunge to the next stage of your standard operating procedure:

step 1) Scream antisemite

Step 2) deflect blame by accusing someone else of hating jews

Step 3) repeat steps 1 & 2

*yawn*

lol, I don't think there's anyone here, except perhaps Angie, that thinks Soggy doesn't hate Jews.

*yawn*

not at all. Since, CLEARLY, you equate zionism with all jews and don't seperate the ethnicity from the racist new-nazi politics behind your movement.

But, it's funny to watch you try so hard to deflect from the OP in some tritle little martyr dance. QUICK! FEEL LIKE A VICTIM AND SCREAM JOOOOO HATER!

Make whatever accusation you need to, guy. LORD KNOWS you will be the FIRST zionist to lunge to the next stage of your standard operating procedure:

Don't look now, but it's you who is claiming to be a victim, a martry, and it's been you who has been ranting about racism and ethnicity, not me. Really, you need to try harder if you expect to be seen as anything more than a tasteless joke.

Don't look now, but it's you who is claiming to be a victim, a martry, and it's been you who has been ranting about racism and ethnicity, not me. Really, you need to try harder if you expect to be seen as anything more than a tasteless joke.

DEFLECT DEFLECT DEFLECT!*

*standard zionist reaction.

*yawn*

Trust me, new guy, I don't care how you see me. Feel free to hold the hands of Jillian and DavidS and Drgump in their common assumption that has more to do with YOUR common team jersey than my hatred of anything. Hell, go blow up another 12:1000 ratio goyim if this answer doesn't stroke your little jewish ego that you think goyim should.

DEFLECT DEFLECT DEFLECT!*

*standard zionist reaction.

*yawn*

Trust me, new guy, I don't care how you see me. Feel free to hold the hands of Jillian and DavidS and Drgump in their common assumption that has more to do with YOUR common team jersey than my hatred of anything. Hell, go blow up another 12:1000 ratio goyim if this answer doesn't stroke your little jewish ego that you think goyim should.

Didn't you mean to say zionist ego instead of jewish ego? Or are you no longer pretending not to hate Jews?

Forum List

Back