Freedom of the press vs freedom of speech?

Teddy Pollins

Feb 26, 2015
We need explanation here.
In the first amendment, we have a right to both freedom of speech and freedom of the press. My question is, are there any functional differences between the two rights, or is the freedom of the press just a logical extension of the freedom of speech? If not, what freedoms are granted by a freedom of the press that are not granted by a freedom of speech? How is "the press" defined for the purposes of these rights?
Do you suppose that we have reached the both of them in the state?
Kuper-free_speech.gif

We need explanation here.
In the first amendment, we have a right to both freedom of speech and freedom of the press. My question is, are there any functional differences between the two rights, or is the freedom of the press just a logical extension of the freedom of speech? If not, what freedoms are granted by a freedom of the press that are not granted by a freedom of speech? How is "the press" defined for the purposes of these rights?
Do you suppose that we have reached the both of them in the state?
Kuper-free_speech.gif

Freedom of the press is more extensive is certain ways. For instance, members of the press are guaranteed the right to report without interference from authorities, despite the treasonous disregard for press freedom by some police departments.

There is no difference between freedom of speech and freedom of the press. The 1st Amendment didn't bestow any special "rights" to citizens. The most important concept of the Constitution that people don't seem to grasp is that the Bill of Rights was intended as a limitation of the power of the government. The people have unlimited freedom of speech. It's up to the government and the Supreme Court to prove otherwise.

“...is the freedom of the press just a logical extension of the freedom of speech?”

Both indeed complement each other, but for the Framers to identify the press by name as a fundamental right is unique in Western jurisprudence, and an example of their wisdom and genius.

Agreed, but the Framers envisioned a truly un-biased "Free Press" that would be an independent and ever vigilant watch dog alerting the public to corruption and over-reach. Is that what we have today?

The right to free speech under the First Amendment is not unlimited. Just like the right to bear arms, there are some logical and constitutional limitations. For example, your right to free speech does not allow you to shout "Fire!" in a public area like a theater or to shout "Bomb!" on an airplane. Rights are usually limited when they violate the rights of other people.

My opinion:
I believe the founders were distinguishing between speech as words coming out of a person's mouth, and printed words.
The idea that expression was speech came later, not much later, but later.
I believe that at the time of the framing of the Constitution speech was a form of expression, but expression other than verbal was not a form of speech. Over the two hundred plus years since the Constitution was written our Liberal Judges and the Supremes have twisted speech to fit their agenda until speech can be anything and everything heard or seen, as long as it fits an agenda of the Left Wing tyrants.

Oh yeah, and they've twisted it so much until now you hear people saying '"freedom of expression" is protected by the Constitution when the word "expression" is not in the Constitution.

I'll simplify it:

Freedom of speech means you can say anything you desire without being punished in any way by the Government.
Freedom of the Press means you can print anything you desire without being punish by the Government.

Bad News Bears: Jason Takes Manhattan

It just occurred to me what the iconic Hollywood (USA) horror film "Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan" (1989) is all about. In this film, a notorious zombie-like serial killer named Jason Voorhees (a relentless monster who wears an ominous hockey-mask to hide his hideous face and slashes people with machetes and axes) finds his way drifting onto the New York island of Manhattan on a boat and begins systematically cutting people down.

Manhattan is known for its cosmopolitan-flavors, and Jason is known for being a horror film avatar of panic.

As we turn on the TV and hear various news reports of crime on the streets of New York, we might feel like we are being bombarded with images of tragedy that we have no control over. A character like Jason attacking the people of Manhattan perhaps suggests that we as a society are curious about 'psychology access.' Did Sigmund Freud, the great psychoanalyst, reveal to humanity that curiosity does not necessarily kill the cat?

:afro:

"Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan" (1989)

jason.jpg

Forum List

Back