Free Speech vs an Angry Islamic World

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Foxfyre, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,352
    The latest in 'incidents" to anger militant Islam will probably be this French magazine in a country with a substantial and growing militant Muslim population.

So the question in my mind is: knowing what militant Islam's response to this kind of thing is, should it be prohibited? There is a part of me that questions the ethics of intentionally inflaming militant Muslims knowing that people will likely die. And there is a part of me that so resents free speech being set aside in deference to any religious (or other) figure or personality, I wonder what would happen if everybody insulted Islam's prophet simultaneously making it virtually impossible for them to target any one person or country?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  2. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,914
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure. "

Sometimes you have to fight to maintain your rights, even if the other side is the one bringing the fight to you.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    As I said before. It's time for an Everbody insult mohammed day.

4. AmyNation

AmyNation Road Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    It shouldn't be prohibited.

5. AmyNation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    Took this from another thread, but I thought it was so well said it bears reposting

“Why is that a relevant question? We published what we published. The words and pictures speak for themselves. So if I were to say, hypothetically, that the purpose was to instill hatred, incite hatred and cause offense, are you saying that’s an acceptable answer? My answer to your question is as follows. We published those cartoons for the intention and purpose of exercising our inalienable rights as free born Albertans to publish whatever the hell we want no matter what the hell you think. I’ve probably given 200 interviews to people other than the state where I’d give a very thoughtful and nuanced expression of my intent, but the only thing I have to say to the government about why I published it is that it’s my bloody right to do so. … My answer to these two fascists, the one trained in Saudi Arabia and the other one piling on, is that I reserve the right to publish those cartoons for exactly what they complain about. I reserve the right to publish those cartoons to do every offensive thing that they claim is in my heart.”

http://www.usmessageboard.com/clean-debate-zone/248389-the-right-to-break-islamic-law.html

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  6. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,352
    If you had the power or influence to do so, could you call for that with a clear conscience knowing the possible consequences?

Or is the price of deferring to militant Islam too high and this the best way to handle it is for condemnable behavior by militant Islam triggering universal condemnation or ridicule of them and Mohammed the way to go?

Tough call.

7. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,914
    The consequence of giving in is the other side asking for more and more of your freedoms. At some point you would be left with the choice between fighting them or becoming one of them. Why not force the issue now and see what happens?

8. AmyNation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    There is no "see what happens". Let's be honest, we all know what happens. They riot and people die. If you are going to call for people to insult Islam more, be hones to admit you are sacrificing other peoples lives when you do it.

9. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,914
    I am doing no such thing. Any violent response is soley on the perpetrators of such violence. I see those who perform the violence in response to speech not directed at them personally, but against an idea as people fit only for mocking, and if they continue said violence, fit only for death.

They keep this up and my qualms about JDAMs targeting thier "demonstrations" will keep going lower and lower.

10. AmyNation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    I'm not suggesting people shouldn't insult Islam, it's your right to do so and I support your rights of free speech. But dont piss on my leg and tell me its raining dont pretend that insults dont directly lead to violence and death.

Anyone who actively advocates insulting Islam has to accept that their words lead to other people's death. You have the right to free speech, but no one said you have the right to consequence free speech.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.