For your viewing pleasure, Walmart News

The express just didn't work it sounds like there version of a dollar store and there are already tons of those out there.
Walmart has unruly customers and the Dollar Store has polite customers but Walmart is less expensive than the Dollar Store. Walmart is closing down more than 200+ of their stores. I wonder what led to that business decision?
I have been in both with a few exceptions I have never seen unruly customers in either as for why they are closing them down my guess would be they weren't making money thats usually why a company closes stores down.

I only speak from personal experience. Theft is a major problem in Walmart but nobody is so poor that they have to steal from the Five and Dime Store.
Depends on where you live I guess my personal experience has been nothing like yours.

Wal-Mart pulls plug on smallest store format, shuts 269 stores

What I don't understand is why they are closing some stores, then going to open new ones?

The small format doesn't work. The large does. They are closing small. Opening large.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Kinda, sorta, but not quite...they are closing small stores & yes I can understand that move. But in the list they are also closing SOME supercenters too.

Wal-Mart pulls plug on smallest store format, shuts 269 stores

What I don't understand is why they are closing some stores, then going to open new ones?

The small format doesn't work. The large does. They are closing small. Opening large.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Kinda, sorta, but not quite...they are closing small stores & yes I can understand that move. But in the list they are also closing SOME supercenters too.

Mostly, overwhelmingly, yes.

Of the 154 stores closing, 131 are small format stores. Most of those Walmart Expresses. Others are 'Neighborhood Markets'. And the last bit are Walmart discount outlets.

Actual supercenter closures are 12. Out of 4000 walmart locations in the US. And they're opening 60 more supercenters at other locations in the US this year alone.

This isn't a big deal.

The express just didn't work it sounds like there version of a dollar store and there are already tons of those out there.
Walmart has unruly customers and the Dollar Store has polite customers but Walmart is less expensive than the Dollar Store. Walmart is closing down more than 200+ of their stores. I wonder what led to that business decision?

Walmart does attract some unique customers that are all their own, no doubt. But as the article and other replies have stated, they are closing most of their smaller stores that had been opened as a test & the test didn't pan out as well as hoped. Walmart makes more profits from the supercenters & online business and that is a solid business decision

Right now, they are stumbling because they are in decline. I just can't wait to see the day when the mighty giant falls.
they are not in decline

With all due respect, would you please tell me how you know this?

A while back I worked in one for a few years and seen it for myself. Those higher wages? Only for new employees, cutting hours across the board to compensate, keeping employees part time so they aren't eligible for company benefits, and by the same token have to resort to public assistance. Not replacing exiting employees. Not providing the tools or resources so employees can do their jobs. Even doing away with several positions including certain management level jobs. I could go on, but I think you get the picture.
Sure some of these things are standard business practice to cut expenses. But publically Walmart portrays the image of 'just standard procedure' to the public & media so they look good and all the while they keep cutting deeper & deeper behind the scenes. Things aren't as rosy as they may appear.

Last edited:
Right now, they are stumbling because they are in decline. I just can't wait to see the day when the mighty giant falls.

It can't be good for them to fail can it? They are largest employer in USA.

No it wouldn't be good for the people, employees or economy in the USA or worldwide. I was just entertaining evil thoughts against the Corporation.

but but raising their minimum wage was good for business.......or not

It was only good for Walmart PR business. Only new employees were given higher wages, not existing employees. Everyone's hours are cut to compensate. That means the work still needs to be done, but fewer employees scheduled at any one time to do it. The workload can get overwhelming.

It was only good for Walmart PR business. Only new employees were given higher wages, not existing employees. Everyone's hours are cut to compensate. That means the work still needs to be done, but fewer employees scheduled at any one time to do it. The workload can get overwhelming.

And you know all these details because? You're actually wrong on several accounts.

Everyone's wages went up, not just new employees. Only some employees had hours cut only at stores that had overstaffed for more hours than were allotted. Wal Mart didn't raise wages to give their employees more money for doing the same job they'd been doing, they did it to try to retain employees. It costs money when you lose people due to low wages. Its whats known as a shift in business model.

You obviously have no clue what Wal Mart did or why they did it so I do believe your input on this matter is no longer needed.

Last edited:
they are not in decline

With all due respect, would you please tell me how you know this?

A while back I worked in one for a few years and seen it for myself. Those higher wages? Only for new employees, cutting hours across the board to compensate, keeping employees part time so they aren't eligible for company benefits, and by the same token have to resort to public assistance. Not replacing exiting employees. Not providing the tools or resources so employees can do their jobs. Even doing away with several positions including certain management level jobs. I could go on, but I think you get the picture.
Sure some of these things are standard business practice to cut expenses. But publically Walmart portrays the image of 'just standard procedure' to the public & media so they look good and all the while they keep cutting deeper & deeper behind the scenes. Things aren't as rosy as they may appear.
They are opening more than they are closing

and your list proves jack

Or you can schedule more cause you still pay the newbies less. You do need a core of dedicated full timers though otherwise things go right in the toilet. Mother in law worked at K-mart. K-Mart offered to buy them out so most of them left. Shortly thereafter their stores looked like a war zone.....and critical behind the scenes tasks werent being done. Oh and when they built their Super Ks they didnt put a dock in...that was the brilliant idea of somebody that came over from Walmart....to me with the express purpose of destroying them.
HS daughter works for Walmart and enjoys it.

more unemployed people makes you happy?... nice guy....

No of course not, but the 'corporation' yes
sorry i called you a guy again.....but if the corporation goes so do the jobs....

Perfectly understandable given the environment. I'm not against the people or jobs involved, I just don't like the Corporation as a whole, how it runs it's operation, or treats the employees.

I had worked there

You worked there since september of 2015?

Yes, from 2010 until December 2015. They pissed me off one too many times & I walked out. Yes, it was a dumb move on my part, but only so much chit ya can handle. Enough said

Or you can schedule more cause you still pay the newbies less. You do need a core of dedicated full timers though otherwise things go right in the toilet. Mother in law worked at K-mart. K-Mart offered to buy them out so most of them left. Shortly thereafter their stores looked like a war zone.....and critical behind the scenes tasks werent being done. Oh and when they built their Super Ks they didnt put a dock in...that was the brilliant idea of somebody that came over from Walmart....to me with the express purpose of destroying them.
HS daughter works for Walmart and enjoys it.

But they don't schedule more is a lot of the problem. Walmart tends to keep more part timers because they don't want to pay for benefits, nor have they been hiring or promoting any full timers for the last couple of years. I had finally been made full time last year because I had needed the medical benefits & was only approved by the store manager because of my health problems that were similar to theirs. I wouldn't have gotten full time status if I hadn't already been known as a good ass buster. (NO that doesn't read ass kisser, I butted heads with Management a few times) Walmart isn't a complete evil, and there are some good points about the company that isn't widely known. There is also a lot of pushing of the legal & moral envelope behind the scenes.
It is a good job & I too enjoyed it. I loved my job & the work I did, but the level of BS was outstanding

Forum List

Back