Fonda Calls Nam Photo 'An Unforgivable Mistake'

You have the scripture wrong, hortysir. Your transgressions are only forgiven in context to how you have forgiven those who transgress against you. We are all called on not to judge.

That's hard for me.

You have the scripture wrong, hortysir. Your transgressions are only forgiven in context to how you have forgiven those who transgress against you. We are all called on not to judge.

That's hard for me.
You're right, but so am I.

'Forgive my trespasses as I forgive those that trespass against me'
She still hasn't trespassed against me.
It's not up to me to forgive her

I can agree with that. Nor is it our right to condemn her, but half the time I still do until I catch myself up.

She generated untold bitterness among her fellow Americans.

Fonda made no mistake.
She saved tens of thousands of lives, and allowed the war to end years earlier than it might have.

I can agree with that. Nor is it our right to condemn her, but half the time I still do until I catch myself up.

No, Fonda mostly generated gratitude from those against the war and those who would have been forced to go there next.
Even the POWs released should be grateful to Fonda.

image.jpg

The Vietnam war was wrong, illegal, and the US had to be forced out to end it.
Ho Chi MInh was the wildly popular hero who fought against the Japanese and defeated the French.
Jane not only was ethically and morally right, but saved tens of thousands of lives.
Jane brought the truth into our living rooms.
The North Vietnamese and VC were the good guys, and we were on the side of the corrupt crooks just out for profits.

Fonda was a pampered actress who was surrounded by like minded zealots. The media loved her and she thought she was the queen but she forgot that ordinary Americans are often smarter and better informed than the mainstream media. She may have been shocked when her career declined after Hanoi.

Fonda was a pampered actress who was surrounded by like minded zealots. The media loved her and she thought she was the queen but she forgot that ordinary Americans are often smarter and better informed than the mainstream media. She may have been shocked when her career declined after Hanoi.
Nah, she did not do it for her career.
She did it because it was the RIGHT thing to do.
Invading Vietnam was about the worst thing the US has ever done.
We murdered over 3 million innocent people, and we did it with agent orange, massacres like Mai Lai, blowing up hospitals with B-52 bomb loads, etc.
There was never even the flimsiest of excuses or legality.
The Vietnamese had just beaten the French and deserved to be free.
For the US to take over was an abomination.

She likely saved tens of thousands of lives.
It is just too bad she did not do it sooner, and saved more lives.

Nah, she did not do it for her career.
She did it because it was the RIGHT thing to do.
Invading Vietnam was about the worst thing the US has ever done.
We murdered over 3 million innocent people, and we did it with agent orange, massacres like Mai Lai, blowing up hospitals with B-52 bomb loads, etc.
There was never even the flimsiest of excuses or legality.
The Vietnamese had just beaten the French and deserved to be free.
For the US to take over was an abomination.

She likely saved tens of thousands of lives.
It is just too bad she did not do it sooner, and saved more lives.
she saved lives?? how so ?

she saved lives?? how so ?

The war in Vietnam was hopeless because Ho Chi Minh had the status of liberator, having fought the Japanese and beaten the French.
So no one in Vietnam was ever going to vote for anyone else, if they had the chance to vote.

So then anyone ending it sooner, saved lives.
What Fonda did was to put a human face on the war, bringing it into our living rooms on TV.
That is where people finally realized how horribly inhuman and hopeless the war was, so that Nixon could end it.

We were going to have to leave Vietnam eventually, and the Vietnamese were never going to give up.
So the sooner we left, the more lives would be saved.
Fonda got us to do that sooner than we would have otherwise.
Without Fonda, we could have killed and been killed for another extra 5 years or more.

She's getting old and facing death and dealing with the uncomfortable realization that she's going to be answering for what she did in this life at some point in the near future.

Were you for the Vietnam war?

The war in Vietnam was hopeless because Ho Chi Minh had the status of liberator, having fought the Japanese and beaten the French.
So no one in Vietnam was ever going to vote for anyone else, if they had the chance to vote.

So then anyone ending it sooner, saved lives.
What Fonda did was to put a human face on the war, bringing it into our living rooms on TV.
That is where people finally realized how horribly inhuman and hopeless the war was, so that Nixon could end it.

We were going to have to leave Vietnam eventually, and the Vietnamese were never going to give up.
So the sooner we left, the more lives would be saved.
Fonda got us to do that sooner than we would have otherwise.
Without Fonda, we could have killed and been killed for another extra 5 years or more.
she did nothing to end the war sooner--pure speculation

She's getting old and facing death and dealing with the uncomfortable realization that she's going to be answering for what she did in this life at some point in the near future.

What was the alternative?
Would you have preferred we stay in Vietnam forever, forcing the Vietnamese to be artificially divided into war zones by a foreign invader, the US?
Aren't we supposed to support democracy, where the people of Vietnam get to vote for Ho Chi Minh if they want?

Vietnam wasn't the fault of our soldiers.. They were drafted and had no choice. The politicians were horrible fools without regard for human life.

she did nothing to end the war sooner--pure speculation

Sure it is just speculation on my part, but if you read about how wildly popular Ho Chi Minh was for defeating the French and liberating the whole country, you can't help but choose to believe that Ho Chi Minh would have won any fair election if allowed.
And that is what the US is supposed to be about, free and fair elections.
Instead, in Vietnam it was the US, supporting the military takeover by Diem, that prevented free and fair elections.
Fonda allowed us to see the other side.
The people we were killing in Vietnam were not evil invaders, but were the honorable patriots instead.
We were totally on the wrong side.
Fonda was right, and we should be grateful to her for helping to stop the killing, and bringing our boys home, including the POWs.

Forum List

Back