Flashback: Obama’s Sordid High School Past

I can't imagine how sad or desparate any media source must be to run stories about what a candidate did at high school, nor how sad and desperate you must be to post it.

My first reaction on seeing this threads is that people figure there aren't any really important issues they'd like to take the candidate to task on.

Here's the thing Saigon, there's this thing called karma. When one side is pushed, the other side pushes back. Now that's not the official definition of karma, but it's good enough for this lesson.

A bit of discussion on such, Hanson:

The Face of Things to Come - By Victor Davis Hanson - The Corner - National Review Online

The Face of Things to Come
May 10, 2012 5:39 PM
By Victor Davis Hanson

The campaign contour is pretty clear: The Obama reelection team will not make the case for the advantages and popularity of Obamacare, for the Chuian advantages of $4-a-gallon gas, for the dynamism of a 1.7 percent GDP growth rate, for the stimulatory effects of adding $5 trillion in new debt, or for why 8 percent unemployment does not qualify under the old rubric of a “jobless recovery.” Instead we are going to see a) mostly the spike-the-football sloganeering about Osama bin Laden and adherence to the Bush-Petraeus timetable in leaving Iraq, b) the supposed racism (Trayvon Martin–style), sexism (“war on women”) and homophobia of the Right, and c) personal attacks on Romney’s past.

But given that of almost all politicians, left and right, on the national scene, Romney is about the most squeaky clean (indeed, perhaps the squeakiest in a generation of candidates), the fare is going to be pretty paltry — mostly Mormon boilerplate and silly stuff like the Washington Post high-school bullying story that already is starting to unwind or fade.

The notable thing about these surrogate attacks is not just that they are trivial, beneath us, and distractions from a real debate over what to do about debt, joblessness, and the economy, but how quickly they are matched and trumped in equally trivial style. In the women wars, Sandra Fluke was rebutted by the unapologetic misogynist Bill Maher’s $1-million-dollar-gift to the Obama campaign; in the doggy wars, poor Seamus in his windy car-top cage was trumped by Obama’s cynophagia, and now Romney the prep-school purported hair-cutter is seen and raised in Na-na na-na na-na style with Obama the Hawaii preppie stoner, who likewise had been insensitive early in his school days, in his case by pushing a middle-school girl. In other words, the Romney support group is not, in high-minded McCain fashion, going to avoid the silly, trivial, and irrelevant, as was true in 2008. And given that Obama’s past has never really been vetted, at some point I think these Washington Post–like stories will cease, given the inevitable trump to follow. In other words, I don’t think we are going to be reading stories about anything like Romney getting a B- in math in college, or not telling us that on his released medical report that he might have had asthma, or that as a Bain CEO he didn’t publish an annual report, and for obvious reasons . . .

OMG, another Breitbart scoop. Aw, ya gotta love the ghost of Breitbart. I think Pimp O'Keefe should look into this. I look forward to even more scoops from World NUT Daily.

Annie -

I have read the stories about what both candidates did at high school, and didn't see much value in either story.

The allegations against Romney seem a little more damaging, but if I thought he was the best candidate for the future of America, I'd vote for him regardless.

OMG, another Breitbart scoop. Aw, ya gotta love the ghost of Breitbart. I think Pimp O'Keefe should look into this. I look forward to even more scoops from World NUT Daily.

What the hell are you howling about now? I miss something here?

Annie -

I have read the stories about what both candidates did at high school, and didn't see much value in either story.

The allegations against Romney seem a little more damaging, but if I thought he was the best candidate for the future of America, I'd vote for him regardless.

Actually that would be the opposite. Obama has admitted in his own autobiographies to using a myriad of illegal substances and assault & battery. While the accusation on Romney's behavior might include assault & battery, I think that would be much harder to 'prove' than if he'd written doing so himself, don't you?

What the hell are you howling about now? I miss something here?

Duh, the OP is from breitbart.com

and duh, that hasn't been the meat for awhile. I did think you were a carnivore and would notice. All the howling!

There are not too many of us that would stand up to scrutiny if we were judged by our actions from the time we were 14 to 20.

Did you say that in the Romney thread about his high school days?

Haven't even gone to those threads. Don't care about the foolishness that Romney did in his high school days. Do care about the reversals he has done on important issues that impact me. His pandering to the 'Conservative' wing of the GOP does not impress me at all favorably.

great!

I'll head on over to the obama gay marriage thread to see your blistering commentary...:rolleyes:

There are not too many of us that would stand up to scrutiny if we were judged by our actions from the time we were 14 to 20.

Did you say that in the Romney thread about his high school days?

Haven't even gone to those threads. Don't care about the foolishness that Romney did in his high school days. Do care about the reversals he has done on important issues that impact me. His pandering to the 'Conservative' wing of the GOP does not impress me at all favorably.

Well we find common ground, I don't think it's melting. I wouldn't want to give succor to a bully, whether liberal or conservative, but I don't judge one's behavior on 50 years or so ago. Hell, 40 years ago I was pretty much a school ditching, pot head, who was more than happy making $500 a week waitressing. I had no intentions of going to college. My mother though? Her plans were different.

I may have been right, but that is besides the point. LOL!

I think in many cases today we make too much out of 'bullying', then I see what some kids do and think we don't do enough. It may well be that these two men, both obvious uber males, were more than capable of bullying. They may have. They may still. I know I think Obama does and I wouldn't be surprised at Romney either.

As I write this, I'm going back to the Planet Earth series I've been watching and thinking Chimps and such. Perhaps it's natural to have only choices for high office of the king chimp, the bully?

Actually that would be the opposite. Obama has admitted in his own autobiographies to using a myriad of illegal substances and assault & battery. While the accusation on Romney's behavior might include assault & battery, I think that would be much harder to 'prove' than if he'd written doing so himself, don't you?

To prove, possibly, but I think the fact that Obama has appeared to write openly and with a certain amount of 'self-criticism' of his own behaviour might play better with some people that Romney's case of amnesia.

Either way - I would rather see the candidates talk about how they will tackle unemployment, debt and climate change than be sidetracked into discussions about dentions and homework.

To prove, possibly, but I think the fact that Obama has appeared to write openly and with a certain amount of 'self-criticism' of his own behaviour might play better with some people that Romney's case of amnesia.

Either way - I would rather see the candidates talk about how they will tackle unemployment, debt and climate change than be sidetracked into discussions about dentions and homework.

Ya think? It was the paper of Washington record that decided to go back there and many of you joined in. Didn't think folks might play the karma card? Game on.

Instead of telling us what a great president their candidate would make and why, they scream, "Obama smoked pot and (gasp!) TRIED Cocaine", as if that's somehow worse than inciting 5 guys to tackle a shy, quiet youth and assault him with scissors because YOU don't like the way he "looks". Because you are so "entitled", you can decide how someone not you should "look".

These people have no values worth anything. They are NOT what America stands for, rather, they are what America fights against.

Annie -

I have no idea what you mean by "you".

I think both stories are non events, and have said so on more than one thread.

Then no problem. We'll both see how it all falls out.

Instead of telling us what a great president their candidate would make and why, they scream, "Obama smoked pot and (gasp!) TRIED Cocaine", as if that's somehow worse than inciting 5 guys to tackle a shy, quiet youth and assault him with scissors because YOU don't like the way he "looks".

These people have no values worth anything. They are NOT what America stands for, rather, they are what America fights against.

Instead of explaining how he has succeeded, Obama's campaign has focused on the non-issues, but that is the story of his presidency. So he brings up Mormonism, racism, etc. His record is failure, he can't run on that, so...

We already know what the Republicans want to do.

1. Unemployment - government can't make jobs. If we give even more tax breaks to corporations and remove regulations for clean air and clean water, then maybe, we hope, they might "create jobs" and not just for educated immigrants but for Americans who think education is for snobs.

2. Cut taxes for the wealthy, cut food stamps, Medicaid, school lunches, daycare and so on. It's in the Ryan budget Romney endorsed.

3. Republicans don't believe climate change exists.

Instead of telling us what a great president their candidate would make and why, they scream, "Obama smoked pot and (gasp!) TRIED Cocaine", as if that's somehow worse than inciting 5 guys to tackle a shy, quiet youth and assault him with scissors because YOU don't like the way he "looks".

Instead of explaining how he has succeeded, Obama's campaign has focused on the non-issues, but that is the story of his presidency. So he brings up Mormonism, racism, etc. His record is failure, he can't run on that, so...

That's not true. Just like Obama taking about Bin Laden, Republicans swear it must be their doing. Obama can't succeed at anything.

What the fuck has Obama done so far?

Cut prescription drug cost for Medicare recipients by 50 percent

Launched Recovery.gov to track spending from the Recovery Act, providing transparency and allowing the public to report fraud, waste, or abuse

Signed the Children’s Health Insurance Reauthorization Act, which provides health care to 11 million kids—4 million of whom were previously uninsured

Signed the Lily Ledbetter Act.

Signed financial reform law establishing a Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to look out for the interests of everyday Americans (Republicans hate that. They want to fuck everyday Americans not even realizing, they ARE everyday Americans).

Forum List

Back