First ever report on US human rights, what a joke.

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
"Although we have made great strides, work remains to meet our goal of ensuring equality before the law for all," it said. The report noted that although the U.S. now has an African-American president and that women and Hispanics have won greater social and economic success, large segments of American society suffer from unfair policies and practices.
High unemployment rates, hate crime, poverty, poor housing, lack of access to health care and discriminatory hiring practices are among the challenges the report identified as affecting blacks, Latinos, Muslims, South Asians, Native Americans and gays and lesbians in the United States.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/23/AR2010082303880.html

I must have gotten into the Bizarro universe again.

Unemployment? Hate crimes? Poverty? Poor housing? Lack of access to health care? Discriminatory hiring practices?

When did any of these become human rights? Most of them are not even constitutional or civil rights, even in Europe.

Equality before the law is not even the goal of liberals, if it were they would abolish affirmative action and abandon health and housing reform.

Last edited:
"Although we have made great strides, work remains to meet our goal of ensuring equality before the law for all," it said. The report noted that although the U.S. now has an African-American president and that women and Hispanics have won greater social and economic success, large segments of American society suffer from unfair policies and practices.
High unemployment rates, hate crime, poverty, poor housing, lack of access to health care and discriminatory hiring practices are among the challenges the report identified as affecting blacks, Latinos, Muslims, South Asians, Native Americans and gays and lesbians in the United States.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=20

Unemployment? Hate crimes? Poverty? Poor housing? Lack of access to health care? Discriminatory hiring practices?

When did any of these become human rights? Most of them are not even constitutional or civil rights, even in Europe.

Equality before the law is not even the goal of liberals, if it were they would abolish affirmative action and abandon health and housing reform.

Are you kidding me?

Where in the report did it say that "hate crimes" and "unemployment" are human rights or is that just your simple minded interpretation of what was said?

I'd also like to see a link, and would like to expound upon your belief that hate crimes, housing discrimination, and employment discrimination, don't violate human rights.

I got cable tv turned back on yesterday (don't know how long I'll keep it). I saw this on FOX News too. They seemed as upset as you are.

When did any of these become human rights?

Never. Not even according to the report you posted. They are called "challenges", not rights.

I know how much the Right wants to erode human rights, but to complain about rights when the report makes no such claim is proof that reading SHOULD be a right.

Where in the report did it say that "hate crimes" and "unemployment" are human rights or is that just your simple minded interpretation of what was said?

I'd also like to see a link, and would like to expound upon your belief that hate crimes, housing discrimination, and employment discrimination, don't violate human rights.

Sorry about the link, I don't kn ow how I screwed that up, but I did fix it.

The report is talking about human rights problems we have in the US, and mentions all of those things. If I am reading something into this that is not supposed to be there I am not the only one.

Never. Not even according to the report you posted. They are called "challenges", not rights.

I know how much the Right wants to erode human rights, but to complain about rights when the report makes no such claim is proof that reading SHOULD be a right.

Oh, nice swing, and a miss.

Why include challenges that have nothing to do with human rights in a report about human rights? Because the idiots who wrote, and approved, this report think that these are human rights. Considerable progress is needed in these areas because the US does not meet the imaginary standards that these are human rights.

Why include challenges that have nothing to do with human rights in a report about human rights? Because the idiots who wrote, and approved, this report think that these are human rights. Considerable progress is needed in these areas because the US does not meet the imaginary standards that these are human rights.
Again, the list of challenges: high unemployment rates, hate crime, poverty, poor housing, lack of access to health care and discriminatory hiring practices.

Now that you have demonstrated your ignorance as to the conditions of poor Americans, what would YOU say are challenges, impediments and roadblocks to human rights?

Again, the list of challenges: high unemployment rates, hate crime, poverty, poor housing, lack of access to health care and discriminatory hiring practices.

Now that you have demonstrated your ignorance as to the conditions of poor Americans, what would YOU say are challenges, impediments and roadblocks to human rights?

Do you not know how to read? That would explain your insistence that any of these belong in a report about human rights.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/23/AR2010082303880.html

And, could it be even worse?

You betcha...

Yob wins right to wear trousers that show his underpants after judge said Asbo ruling would 'breach human rights'

A teenager has struck an unwelcome victory for young thugs after an order to stop him wearing low-slung trousers and a hooded top was scrapped because it breached his ‘human rights’.

Read more: Judge says Asbo ruling on low-slung trousers would 'breach human rights' | Mail Online

Last edited:

Do you not know how to read? That would explain your insistence that any of these belong in a report about human rights.

"The decision of the European Court of Human Rights of 3 November 2009 to forbid the use of religious symbols, including the Crucifix, in public buildings, is disquieting due to its possible ramifications for the culture, identity, traditions and freedom of our nation. Such a court decision creates a dangerous precedent for the imposition by international institutions of a certain “uniform” value system reflecting only a single type of worldview on states and societies that are characterised by a diversity of cultures and traditions.

In this regard, attention must be drawn to issues of religious freedom, separation of Church and state, and individual and collective human rights. …Today the right of societies, communities and nations to cherish their identity, culture, traditions and religion, is often portrayed as being opposed to individual human rights. …That is why the decision of the European Court of Human Rights is reason for concern, as it alters the notion of freedom of religion and creates what is essentially a new “human right” not to be disturbed by religious symbols that one does not like. "MercatorNet: The Cross in the dock

From Dennis Miller:
"This administration had better give up the idea of having the United States follow the European model.

At least when Bill Clinton spoke of following the European model, he actually meant a European model."

ALL of these factors contribute to an erosion of human rights! You can't be free if you're the victim of hate crimes or if you're out of work or hungry or poor. That's what Conservatives can't grasp. You got yours and screw everybody else.

At least you are attempting to actually answer my question, thank you.

My problem is that anyone who claims that the US has substandard housing, or lacks medical care, has never been to a place where people actually suffer from these lacks. Additionally, I can find nothing there to indicate that hate crimes,or hign unemployment rates, violate anyone's rights.

I would also like to point out that the US does not recognize the right of the UN to determine internal policy of this country, which means that those rights do not apply here in the US.

ALL of these factors contribute to an erosion of human rights! You can't be free if you're the victim of hate crimes or if you're out of work or hungry or poor. That's what Conservatives can't grasp. You got yours and screw everybody else.

How?

How does the fact that there are no jobs available affect the human rights of anyone? How does the fact that everyone on the US can get medical care, despite the claims of the left that this is impossible, negatively affect human rights? How does the fact that we abolished slavery over a hundred years ago negatively impact anyone's rights?

And, could it be even worse?

You betcha...

Yob wins right to wear trousers that show his underpants after judge said Asbo ruling would 'breach human rights'

A teenager has struck an unwelcome victory for young thugs after an order to stop him wearing low-slung trousers and a hooded top was scrapped because it breached his ‘human rights’.

Read more: Judge says Asbo ruling on low-slung trousers would 'breach human rights' | Mail Online

Yeah being able to decide what you're going to wear is a right wouldn't you say?

Or would you rather have the government dictate what people wear (and I'm not talking clothes that expose yourself or have bad pictures on them)?

So that minorities don't have a fighting chance. I guess that would suit you just fine, so discriminatory hiring practices become the norm again.

When the left realizes people notice that the people and regimes they support do violate human rights, and when they are unable to find any substantial (or real) violations on the opposing side, they start playing make believe.They lower the bar, so to speak, so that EVERYBODY gets a share of accusation. That way, they reason, nobody will notice what they support.

So that minorities don't have a fighting chance. I guess that would suit you just fine, so discriminatory hiring practices become the norm again.

Newsflash:

the recession that is supposed to be over is hitting older white males harder than any other group.

Older white males hurt more by this recession - USATODAY.com

If I were like you I would exult in the payback and sneer about this. Being a minority who is traditionally worse off than these people should make me rejoice that they are finally getting their due.

Since I am not you, and am actually a man of principle, I prefer to sneer at people who put people down on the basis of the color of their skin, and write ridiculous reports claiming that the US is lacking in basic human rights, when the truth is that even the homeless here have a higher standard of living than the middle class in most of the rest of the world.

Feel free to remain in Bizarro universe though, where "Us do opposite of all Earthly things! Us hate beauty! Us love ugliness! Is big crime to make anything perfect on Bizarro World!" That about sums up the attitude of most modern liberals/progressives.

Newsflash:

the recession that is supposed to be over is hitting older white males harder than any other group.

Older white males hurt more by this recession - USATODAY.com

If I were like you I would exult in the payback and sneer about this. Being a minority who is traditionally worse off than these people should make me rejoice that they are finally getting their due.

Since I am not you, and am actually a man of principle, I prefer to sneer at people who put people down on the basis of the color of their skin, and write ridiculous reports claiming that the US is lacking in basic human rights, when the truth is that even the homeless here have a higher standard of living than the middle class in most of the rest of the world.
While I will agree with you that the homeless have a higher standard of living here than other countries, the U.S. still has a long way to go. My father once made the argument that if Australia had been settled by the French instead of the English, the Aborigines would have been much worse off. That argument is dubious at best because the Aborgines were largely slaughtered. Your argument is also dubious because the homeless in America still get the shitty end of the stick. Comparing the homeless in America to other countries is no excuse.
Feel free to remain in Bizarro universe though, where "Us do opposite of all Earthly things! Us hate beauty! Us love ugliness! Is big crime to make anything perfect on Bizarro World!"
I have no idea what you're talking about, and I don't think you do either.
That about sums up the attitude of most modern liberals/progressives.
The only one in bizarro world right now is you buddy. Just thought I'd point that out.:clap2:

Forum List

Back