Aug 3, 2013
Previous laptop was from 2009.

Sony Vaio VGN-NS230E/S
Intel Pentium T3400
3 GB RAM
250 GB HD
Windows Vista

$600 back then.

New one was $1,000 but with 5 times more and faster RAM, 4 times more and faster HD space, much better and faster video and better screen, much faster CPU, more ports, etc.

Last edited:
Previous laptop was from 2009.

Sony Vaio VGN-NS230E/S
Intel Pentium T3400
3 GB RAM
250 GB HD
Windows Vista

$600 back then.

New one was $1,000 but with 5 times more and faster RAM, 4 times more and faster HD space, much better and faster video and better screen, much faster CPU, more ports, etc.

Are you using it for work, or gaming, or something else intensive? For $1000, you should have gotten a pretty good laptop.

The ASUS ROG GL753VD-DS71.

My main PC is also a 2009 like that Sony, though I upgraded the drives, ram, and power supply.

The ASUS is a "gamer" oriented setup, but I hope to use it as an audio and video performance device. From what I understand Macs are way overpriced and underperformers in today's situation.

The ASUS ROG GL753VD-DS71.

My main PC is also a 2009 like that Sony, though I upgraded the drives, ram, and power supply.

The ASUS is a "gamer" oriented setup, but I hope to use it as an audio and video performance device. From what I understand Macs are way overpriced and underperformers in today's situation.

I don't know if Macs underperform, but I've always considered them overpriced. ;)

I don't know if Macs underperform, but I've always considered them overpriced.
NEW Macs have always been "overpriced," sort of, but they have always over-performed, especially with audio and video, so you could simply buy a used one at a steep discount and it is quite a value.
For example, my 1995 Mac 8500 could record video at 30 frames per second, and the S-video and RCA video recorder was built in to the stock computer! Back then Windows machines could hardly run photoshop let alone the equivalent audio and video software that ran on Macs. Mac AV software is the best and easiest to use to this day.

What I like about the ASUS gaming laptop are all the connections and DVD drive. I currently use Cakewalk Sonar X3 software for music production with iZotope plug ins for effects and mastering both Windows based. Adobe Premiere Elements for video. Of interest to note is with each upgrade of the Adobe Premiere Elements my 2009 desktop PC

Window 7
Intel i7 (original which apparently is not the same as today's i7)
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
Two old 750 HDDs

Adobe Premiere was slower and slower to render a video and it was very difficult to edit with long lag time between a mouse movement.

Anyhow, no doubt Macs had the edge in the past, but some audio folks have grown discontented.

I don't know if Macs underperform, but I've always considered them overpriced.
NEW Macs have always been "overpriced," sort of, but they have always over-performed, especially with audio and video, so you could simply buy a used one at a steep discount and it is quite a value.
For example, my 1995 Mac 8500 could record video at 30 frames per second, and the S-video and RCA video recorder was built in to the stock computer! Back then Windows machines could hardly run photoshop let alone the equivalent audio and video software that ran on Macs. Mac AV software is the best and easiest to use to this day.

I've never done any serious AV stuff, so I'll take your word for it.

For me, Macs have always been too pricey, too difficult to upgrade one part at a time (I don't know if that is still an issue, it's something I remember from the past which turned me off to Macs), and the fact that I am a gamer, and Windows is better for gaming (based on availability of games, if not performance).

Anyhoo, just need to get a UBS audio interface so I can record and listen through an amp and monitors and headphones.

Going with the Roland Rubix 22 when it finally hits the stores, which is allegedly in a few weeks. The closest competition is the more expensive Focusrite2i4 with older drivers etc. Both less than $200.

Roland Rubix 22 USB Audio Interface

Last edited:
Just downloaded legal copies of my audio software via Ethernet. Mac Pro laptop does not even have that connector. LOL Sorry Apple, your smartphones are great though.

Forum List

Back