Finally, a Democrat asked a Republican THE Question

This morning on “Morning Joe”, there was a young Republican from some conservative publication going on about how if you want to improve the economy, you need to cut taxes for corporations and deregulate. In fact, you should stop making corporations pay any taxes because they only pass them on to the consumers. He said that taxing the wealthy was “wealth redistribution” and the ONLY way to grow the economy is put money into the hands of the wealthy.

When Republicans make this argument, Democrats, for some strange and unknown reason, rarely challenge them. Only this time, some old guy, I don’t know who he was, left the Republican gasping like a fish out of water.

I’m paraphrasing here, “You have to stop the ideological rhetoric. You know that doesn’t work. If it did, after a 2.4 trillion dollar tax cut with the top 1% getting MORE than 52% on top of the FACT that we are paying the lowest taxes in 50 years, AND all the Wall Street deregulation, our economy should be booming. If Republican ideology worked, our economy should be booming. Instead, we are on the brink of economic disaster. Explain how it worked. Just once. Tell us what went wrong”.

It was so revealing. The Republican couldn’t answer. He was so confident giving his lecture on “economics” and was completely dismantled.

This is what Democrats have to run on.

Gene Robinson came on and said Americans are like children having a “temper tantrum”. They are angry at Democrats for not fixing the Republican economic mess fast enough. They will probably vote Republican, even though they know Republicans created this economic mess, they want to “teach” Democrats a “lesson”, like children stomping their feet. It’s almost like “cutting off your nose to spite your face”.

In a way, it might be good. Can you just imagine what these radical right wingers will do once in office? They want to trash SS and Medicare and Medicaid. This will be the most ideology and ignorance driven congress ever. That will give Americans two more years to see exactly what the right is about. Two LONG years.

You think there will be a landslide now? Wait till then. I think electing right wing crazies will finally produce the “political awakening” that is long, long overdue.

Perhaps he was speechless because he knew that there was not enough time to convince a Keynesian that the economy is not static and that there was no $2.4 Trillion tax cut, especially to "the rich." The rich paid higher constant dollar amounts after the Bush tax cuts than before.

Or maybe MSNBC set it up like this. There are idiots on all sides and I can see a leftwing news outlet looking for people to put up that don't understand economics very well.

Somehow there is a group of people who think Wall Street makes something. They trade paper which represents REAL labor and production. Wall Street is much like the government in my mind. They produce nothing, but take a cut, which does not help the economy.

I don't necessarily disagree, but what would you consider to be an alternative?

And here we go again.

"The democrats wrecked it"

"No, the republicans did it"

"No we didn't"

"Yea you did"

Both parties ..... and you fucking partisans.... you are all responsible.

:clap2: yet the :meow: continues while it all crumbles(due to government intervention).

Some intervention is necessary. The GOP likes to paint regulation as the bad guy in all this, but some is necessary. The derivatives market was almost completely unregulated and helped set off this whole mess. Loosening regulations allowed Banks to play crazy games with investor's money. Fancy accounting tricks that should have been illegal allowed firms to outright lie and swindle investors left and right.

Folks want some level of regulation so that they can feel like they can safely invest without getting taken for a ride. I'm fine with losing money because I choose poorly as long as I had honest facts ahead of time. Its when I've been lied to that I'm going to take my money and leave the market.

You won't get people investing money until they're sure they're not getting ripped off. And until that happens, there just won't be a recovery.

I do agree that too much regulation is stifiling. The problem is finding balance. We seem to repeatedly go in cycles on this.

We need proper oversight, not regulation. Increased regulation did not prevent Fannie from collapsing after Raines and Gorelick cooked the books. Increased regulation after Enron did not prevent Maddoff. The current "reforms" won't prevent another meltdown either and all of these schemes hamper growth.

We need impartial referees, not rule makers and enforcers that are also beneficiaries of the economy.

The economy started to tank the day Democrats took control of Congress

docpage-recoverystats1.jpg

Thanks for the graph frankie....

It obviously shows a collapsing economy under RED Bush and a recovering economy under BLUE Obama

How so?

Not losing jobs quite as fast is not recovering.

Frank....please tell us the point of this graph? I'd love to hear you explain it, because what it shows is that shit went down hill under Bush and has been steadily improving under Obama. I'm sure you realize that's what this shows, right? I mean, you wouldn't post a graph that you didn't understand, would you?

Getting worse at a slower pace is not "steadily improving."

We're in a hole and the hole is getting deeper. That it's not getting deeper as fast as it was before doesn't change the fact that we are in a hole and it is getting deeper.

I’m paraphrasing here, “You have to stop the ideological rhetoric. You know that doesn’t work. If it did, after a 2.4 trillion dollar tax cut with the top 1% getting MORE than 52% on top of the FACT that we are paying the lowest taxes in 50 years, AND all the Wall Street deregulation, our economy should be booming. If Republican ideology worked, our economy should be booming. Instead, we are on the brink of economic disaster. Explain how it worked. Just once. Tell us what went wrong”.

What went wrong is that the wealthy, once given the choice of keeping the money or pouring it back into the economy....chose to just keep the money

Shocked.....I'm SHOCKED I say!

I don't think you have any data to back that up. That said, you act as if it wasn't their money in the first place. Is that the case?

This morning on “Morning Joe”, there was a young Republican from some conservative publication going on about how if you want to improve the economy, you need to cut taxes for corporations and deregulate. In fact, you should stop making corporations pay any taxes because they only pass them on to the consumers. He said that taxing the wealthy was “wealth redistribution” and the ONLY way to grow the economy is put money into the hands of the wealthy.

When Republicans make this argument, Democrats, for some strange and unknown reason, rarely challenge them. Only this time, some old guy, I don’t know who he was, left the Republican gasping like a fish out of water.

It was so revealing. The Republican couldn’t answer. He was so confident giving his lecture on “economics” and was completely dismantled.

Gene Robinson came on and said Americans are like children having a “temper tantrum”. They are angry at Democrats for not fixing the Republican economic mess fast enough. They will probably vote Republican, even though they know Republicans created this economic mess, they want to “teach” Democrats a “lesson”, like children stomping their feet. It’s almost like “cutting off your nose to spite your face”.

In a way, it might be good. Can you just imagine what these radical right wingers will do once in office? They want to trash SS and Medicare and Medicaid. This will be the most ideology and ignorance driven congress ever. That will give Americans two more years to see exactly what the right is about. Two LONG years.

You think there will be a landslide now? Wait till then. I think electing right wing crazies will finally produce the “political awakening” that is long, long overdue.

Republicans = tax cuts for the rich = hugh deficits

It's been true since 1980.

Reagan and the two Bushes created 93% of the National Debt.

ReaganBushDebt.org

WOW do you have something else beside a liberal link?:lol::rofl::rofl:

Glad you asked!

Here's a link to the Treasury Department site, where you can check the figures for yourself.

ReaganBushDebt.org Calculation Details

So true. Too bad for those of us who know whose interests we should care about. We'll get punished along those who vote for the RepubliCONs.

I always wonder about wage earners worrying about rich people having to pay taxes.

Let me put your minds at ease, the wealthy will, as they always have, do just fine.

People who vote Republican are like the frat boys in Animal House.

"Thank you sir, may I have another!"

Let's get back to the original premise which is that tired old "1% got a big break". Sounds like somebody's attempting to make the argument that 1% of the population is footing the bill.

It's worn out Marxist class envy bullshit. We have a tax system that is out of whack with 40+% paying no income taxes combined with politicians (pick a side, I don't care) spending money we don't have. The notion that we are going to tax our way out of this is retarded.

Excellent synopsis the gimmie gimmies will soon outnumber the people who pay federal income tax. downhill slide.
And you can thank the GOP for that! You know, the guys you want to put back in charge!

The GOP have been trying to buy elections with tax cuts and more and more people pay no income taxes. For example, before the Bush tax cuts only 25% paid no income taxes and after his 2001 and 2003 tax cuts close to 50% pay no income taxes.

No problem though, the CON$ervative pundits will simply blame the Dems and the mindless drones will swallow it whole.

Thanks for the graph frankie....

It obviously shows a collapsing economy under RED Bush and a recovering economy under BLUE Obama

Actually, the entire graph shows a government under a Democratic run Congress. You guys get to take credi tfor the whole graph. Also, that would be Pelosi's graph if you note it was generated by the Speaker's Office.
This, of course, begs the question, What Democratic legislation got past the record number of GOP filibusters and Bush's suddenly discovered veto pen to cause the decline that "started" the first day Pelosi became speaker??????????????????????????????

Democrats have a experienced a MASSIVE majority on all legislation in this nation since WWII. Go look up the numbers, over 70% majority in the Senate, and over 78% in the House.

To blame the GOP for the failure of Wall Street is absolutely laughable.

To dismiss the massive blame that should be directed at DEMOCRATS, is also completely laughable.

Are you people government workers???

This morning on “Morning Joe”, there was a young Republican from some conservative publication going on about how if you want to improve the economy, you need to cut taxes for corporations and deregulate.
How will cutting BP's taxes and removing all regulations that apply to it improve the economy?

In fact, you should stop making corporations pay any taxes because they only pass them on to the consumers.
If that's true, which it's not, we should tax corporations 100% of their income.

He said that taxing the wealthy was “wealth redistribution.”
I'm very wealthy, and I have no problem with some of my wealth being redistributed to those who provide the common defense of the nation.

and the ONLY way to grow the economy is put money into the hands of the wealthy.
How will that increase the industrial capacity utilization rate, which will decrease the unemployment rate?

Forum List

Back