Finally, a Democrat asked a Republican THE Question

Somehow there is a group of people who think Wall Street makes something. They trade paper which represents REAL labor and production. Wall Street is much like the government in my mind. They produce nothing, but take a cut, which does not help the economy.

Wall Street and the government are doing well right now, yet unemployment grew last month. Deregulation of REAL businesses and investment in REAL businesses will move the economy forward.

What would you "Deregulate" to help the economy? Which Federal Programs if eliminated will move the economy forward?

The reactionary voting back and forth is what is going to destroy us.

Yep. Violent swings of control between parties isn't a good thing. It encourages partisanship and discourages any attempt to find common ground.

Love how people can only scream "less taxes" or "more regulations". Check the Federal Register, there were 64,438 in 2001 when Bush took office and in 2007, there were 78,090, there were more regulations that at anytime in the history of our Republic when Bush was President.

There is more to economics than fiscal or regulatory, too many ignore monetary policy and how it affects the economy.

Last edited:
Faith based politics just plain sucks big time.

Like I said before, these these elitist pseudo-science peak oil doomers have been around in the US for almost 100 years controlling government & preaching the sky is falling, we have come to the end. You would think they would get tired of jumping up & down looking like a raving moron shouting "The End Is Near" I bet their family members & friends think they are nuts & keep their distance or snicker behind their backs. This is likely why Al & Tipper Gore split up.:eek:

In 1919 the director of the U.S. Bureau of Mines predicted that "within the next two to five years the oil fields of this country will reach their maximum production, and from that time on we will face an ever-increasing decline."

That same year, National Geographic magazine predicted that oil shales in Colorado and Utah would be exploited to produce oil, because the demand for oil could not be met by existing production.

In January 1920, Dr. George Otis Smith, Director of the United States Geological Survey, in commenting upon our oil supply stated: "The position of the United States in regard to oil can best be characterized as precarious."

In May 1920, Dr. Smith said: "Americans will have to depend on foreign sources or use less oil, or perhaps both.

In 1920, David White, of the United States Geological Survey, stated: "On the whole, therefore, we must expect that, unless our consumption is checked, we shall by 1925 be dependent on foreign oil fields to the extent of 150,000,000 barrels and possibly as much as 200,000,000 of crude each year, except insofar as the situation may at that time, perhaps, be helped to a slight extent by shale oil. Add to this probability that within 5 years--perhaps 3 years only--our domestic production will begin to fall off with increasing rapidity, due to the exhaustion of our reserves"

This really freaks the lefties out!:cuckoo: Either these Doomers have been lying, science has it wrong or God has been providing us all the oil we need for the past 100 years!!! So tell us again how faith based politics just plain sucks big time.:lol::lol::lol:
3673286982_009da8af84.jpg

Love how people can only scream "less taxes" or "more regulations". Check the Federal Register, there were 64,438 in 2001 when Bush took office and in 2007, there were 78,090, there were more regulations that at anytime in the history of our Republic when Bush was President.

There is more to economics than fiscal or regulatory, too many ignore monetary policy and how it affects the economy.

It's the keyboard warriors.... they think very simplistic thoughts. Hence the conviction that it was all the 'fault' of the other guy. It's sad but many are incapable of facing reality - they prefer to stick to 'blame'.

It's the keyboard warriors.... they think very simplistic thoughts. Hence the conviction that it was all the 'fault' of the other guy. It's sad but many are incapable of facing reality - they prefer to stick to 'blame'.

Yep and the circle jerk will continue.

And here we go again.

"The democrats wrecked it"

"No, the republicans did it"

"No we didn't"

"Yea you did"

Both parties ..... and you fucking partisans.... you are all responsible.

I'm not fucking responsible. I lived within my means. paid my way, what I couldn't afford I did without. The responsiblity lies with those individuals and that government that did not do that. So speak for thyself.

Let's get back to the original premise which is that tired old "1% got a big break". Sounds like somebody's attempting to make the argument that 1% of the population is footing the bill.

It's worn out Marxist class envy bullshit. We have a tax system that is out of whack with 40+% paying no income taxes combined with politicians (pick a side, I don't care) spending money we don't have. The notion that we are going to tax our way out of this is retarded.

Excellent synopsis the gimmie gimmies will soon outnumber the people who pay federal income tax. downhill slide.

And here we go again.

"No we didn't"

"Yea you did"

:clap2: yet the :meow: continues while it all crumbles(due to government intervention).

Some intervention is necessary. The GOP likes to paint regulation as the bad guy in all this, but some is necessary. The derivatives market was almost completely unregulated and helped set off this whole mess. Loosening regulations allowed Banks to play crazy games with investor's money. Fancy accounting tricks that should have been illegal allowed firms to outright lie and swindle investors left and right.

Folks want some level of regulation so that they can feel like they can safely invest without getting taken for a ride. I'm fine with losing money because I choose poorly as long as I had honest facts ahead of time. Its when I've been lied to that I'm going to take my money and leave the market.

You won't get people investing money until they're sure they're not getting ripped off. And until that happens, there just won't be a recovery.

I do agree that too much regulation is stifiling. The problem is finding balance. We seem to repeatedly go in cycles on this.

And here we go again.

"No we didn't"

"Yea you did"

I'm not fucking responsible. I lived within my means. paid my way, what I couldn't afford I did without. The responsiblity lies with those individuals and that government that did not do that. So speak for thyself.

And folks like you and I that stayed in our means, saved money responsibly, didn't carry debt, etc, are the ones that will pay for it all. Sucks doesn't it?

That's why regulations exist and should exist. So folks like you and I don't end up paying for the mistakes and lies of others.

The notion that we are going to tax our way out of this is retarded.

Cuts to the budget alone won't do it either. Folks may not like it, but we are paying a price for trying to wage two wars and cut taxes. The birds are coming home to roost.

Want to pull the government out of debt? It'll take both spending cuts and tax increases. It'll take cutting wwwwaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy back on our role in the world and way back on foreign aid to literally everyone. It'll take making everyone responsibile for themselves, and making folks understand that they own a part of the debt that has to be paid.

Until people do that, you can forget decreasing the debt. It just won't happen.

And here we go again.

"No we didn't"

"Yea you did"

:clap2: yet the :meow: continues while it all crumbles(due to government intervention).

Some intervention is necessary. The GOP likes to paint regulation as the bad guy in all this, but some is necessary. The derivatives market was almost completely unregulated and helped set off this whole mess. Loosening regulations allowed Banks to play crazy games with investor's money. Fancy accounting tricks that should have been illegal allowed firms to outright lie and swindle investors left and right.

Folks want some level of regulation so that they can feel like they can safely invest without getting taken for a ride. I'm fine with losing money because I choose poorly as long as I had honest facts ahead of time. Its when I've been lied to that I'm going to take my money and leave the market.

You won't get people investing money until they're sure they're not getting ripped off. And until that happens, there just won't be a recovery.

I do agree that too much regulation is stifiling. The problem is finding balance. We seem to repeatedly go in cycles on this.

I look at derivatives as part of the symptoms; not the cause; of the entire economic crash, had the bubbles not happened, there never would have been such a huge derivatives market to begin with, derivatives aren't a bad thing in and by themselves, they are like any type "insurance" where one can protect or hedge their bets or risks, had the monetary part of the equation not been so lax to begin with, this market, the housing market,stock market, etc., never would have inflated into these massive bubbles to begin with.

I look at derivatives as part of the symptoms; not the cause; of the entire economic crash, had the bubbles not happened, there never would have been such a huge derivatives market to begin with, derivatives aren't a bad thing in and by themselves, they are like any type "insurance" where one can protect or hedge their bets or risks, had the monetary part of the equation not been so lax to begin with, this market, the housing market,stock market, etc., never would have inflated into these massive bubbles to begin with.

Well I think we can agree that the whole push to get Americans to own their own home was part of the problem.

Let's face facts: Some folks shouldn't own a home. If you can't save the downpayment, if you can barely afford rent, if you're living paycheck to paycheck, what on Earth are you doing taking on a 30 year contract and a boat load of debt?

I'm just saying that with the stuff that happened in the derivatives market, AIG, the Lehman brothers, Enron, etc, people just are not willing to invest anymore. If it weren't for the FDIC I'm betting you'd be seeing even more bank failures than you are now. I know I'd have pulled my money out of the banks about 3 years ago. People just do not trust the marketplace right now to play fairly with them. Until they do you won't see the kind of investment of private money needed to make the economy run again.

And here we go again.

"No we didn't"

"Yea you did"

And folks like you and I that stayed in our means, saved money responsibly, didn't carry debt, etc, are the ones that will pay for it all. Sucks doesn't it?

That's why regulations exist and should exist. So folks like you and I don't end up paying for the mistakes and lies of others.

I believe in regulation, as long as it is fair and impartial and caters to no special interest.

The economy started to tank the day Democrats took control of Congress

docpage-recoverystats1.jpg

Thanks for the graph frankie....

It obviously shows a collapsing economy under RED Bush and a recovering economy under BLUE Obama

That doesn't really mean anything.

If you add six regulations making it harder to get health care and remove a single regulation from Wall Street, the one Wall Street regulation could have a much farther reaching impact.

Forum List

Back