Female Soldier rampage causes lockdown of Ft. Lee Va

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
The Soldier who is not identified for some reason entered a secure area at Ft. Lee armed with a handgun and caused the base to be in lockdown for a couple of hours while local Police negotiated. She is Identified as a female Sgt.14 year veteran stationed at the post for 3 years. She barricaded herself in an office fired shots and threw things around and finally shot herself. Her condition is unknown. The base commander's statement sounds more like Oprah Winfrey than a commanding officer "we are sad for our Soldier in arms that she faces those kind of challenges that she thought she had to resort to those actions". That's our kinder, gentler Army C.O.'s these days I guess.

The Soldier who is not identified for some reason entered a secure area at Ft. Lee armed with a handgun and caused the base to be in lockdown for a couple of hours while local Police negotiated. She is Identified as a female Sgt.14 year veteran stationed at the post for 3 years. She barricaded herself in an office fired shots and threw things around and finally shot herself. Her condition is unknown. The base commander's statement sounds more like Oprah Winfrey than a commanding officer "we are sad for our Soldier in arms that she faces those kind of challenges that she thought she had to resort to those actions". That's our kinder, gentler Army C.O.'s these days I guess.

It is called leadership. Our Army will be badass towards the enemy. But it should take care of its own. That C.O. sees every soldier under him as his responsibility. That is as it should be.

Since when is is a C.O.'s "responsibility" to create a defense for a Soldier who put people's lives in jeopardy?

Absolutely agree that commanders need to take care of their people but also think he is making judgments way too soon. I think he should say things more neutral along the lines of "no one has been hurt......etc, etc." at this early stage.

Once facts are in, he can make more subjective statements.

Since when is is a C.O.'s "responsibility" to create a defense for a Soldier who put people's lives in jeopardy?

That is not what he was doing. He was showing concern for one of his soldiers. Obviously something was seriously wrong. The woman has been in the Army for 14 years, and stationed at that post for 3 years. He wasn't excusing her actions. But he is obviously concerned for one of his people.

Absolutely agree that commanders need to take care of their people but also think he is making judgments way too soon. I think he should say things more neutral along the lines of "no one has been hurt......etc, etc." at this early stage.

How about "the Troops did a good job containing the threat" and "the incident will be thoroughly investigated and the Soldier will face Court Martial". That's the kind of leadership I'm looking for. What happens if the entire base goes AWOL? Will the C.O. claim they were overworked and deserved a night on the town?

How about "the Troops did a good job containing the threat" and "the incident will be thoroughly investigated and the Soldier will face Court Martial". That's the kind of leadership I'm looking for. What happens if the entire base goes AWOL? Will the C.O. claim they were overworked and deserved a night on the town?

Agree.

The C.O. will take whatever steps are necessary to insure the base is safe.

I don't understand why expressing concern for one of his soldiers is such an issue.

This woman committed suicide. She barricaded herself in an office, so she was not on some killing rampage. The C.O.'s comments were entirely appropriate for the situation.

A 14 year veteran is dead by her own hand. I have not seen anything to show she was threatening anyone else, except for barricading herself in an office. The C.O. also said, "This situation could've been worse,". Which is accurate. It was not a military firearm. She brought her own gun on base.

"The Soldier who is not identified for some reason entered a secure area at Ft. Lee armed with a handgun..."

They do not release the name until 24 hours after notifying the next of kin.

I thought her condition is unknown? So why claim she committed suicide?

Soldier dies after shooting herself in Virginia

Because it was reported that she committed suicide. And the CO was most certainly aware of this.

She shot herself in the head.

from the link:
"FORT LEE, Va. (AP) — An enraged soldier barricaded herself inside a major command's headquarters and shot herself in the head Monday after throwing objects around the office as law enforcement officials tried to negotiate with her, the Army said. She died later in the day."

Forum List

Back