Army I.D.'s female Soldier who went on a rampage at Ft. Lee

Yes you can so long as the armory is open for business. I spent 16 years in the marine Corps dumb ass. Almost all of it in peace time. So long as the armory was open which it was from 8 am to 5 pm I could go there and check out my weapon. I did not even have to give a reason. It was assumed i was going to clean it.

It was a non issue handgun, which gives 'harder to obtain' validity.

They made you Jar Heads turn in your weapons? ;) I took my side arm home, the automatics and mounted stayed on the boat.

Yes you can so long as the armory is open for business. I spent 16 years in the marine Corps dumb ass. Almost all of it in peace time. So long as the armory was open which it was from 8 am to 5 pm I could go there and check out my weapon. I did not even have to give a reason. It was assumed i was going to clean it.

They made you Jar Heads turn in your weapons? ;) I took my side arm home, the automatics and mounted stayed on the boat.

As SGT. can't fathom is it depends where you are at, what you are doing and if it is a war zone as condition of arms with military personnel...

I was in the Army 1982-88, never could we just walk not the armory and check out our weapons, it had to be for a reason, normally training...Marines was probably different since they are assault troops...Do I need to be like the SGT and call people names if someone disagrees? Or is that just Jarhead training?
So you were forbidden to clean your weapon? Who exactly cleaned all those weapons in the armory? Who oiled them and preformed normal cleaning functions?
Do you always assume the extreme?
So basically the army is run by and manned by pussies afraid to allow their troops to clean their weapons. Thanks for letting me know my service rivalry was based on actual facts.

I was in the Army 1982-88, never could we just walk not the armory and check out our weapons, it had to be for a reason, normally training...Marines was probably different since they are assault troops...Do I need to be like the SGT and call people names if someone disagrees? Or is that just Jarhead training?
So you were forbidden to clean your weapon? Who exactly cleaned all those weapons in the armory? Who oiled them and preformed normal cleaning functions?
So basically the army is run by and manned by pussies afraid to allow their troops to clean their weapons. Thanks for letting me know my service rivalry was based on actual facts.

Don't blame me 'cause all you were was a sgt..

Gunnery Sgt dumb ass. That would be SFC in the Army.

As SGT. can't fathom is it depends where you are at, what you are doing and if it is a war zone as condition of arms with military personnel...

I was stationed in San Diego (Mission Bay to be exact). I think it's a jar head thing, or as we called them 'Aqua-Marines', from the color they turned when the hit the rail to feed the fish.......:badgrin:

I would ask questions like, what made this woman snap. She was an SFC (E-7) and completed at least 3 NCODP schools to get there. Are we doing a good job identifying PTSD? Obviously not in this case.

But please carry on trying to make this about your agendas.

I call BS
I was in the Navy for 22 yrs and on Several ships, was a gunnersmate in charge of the Armory, no one, took side arms home. The quarterdeck watch was issued a side arm and it was checked in and out again every 24 hrs. The only time long guns were issued were for security alerts and small arms training and we inventoried all the small arms every day.

I call BS
I was in the Navy for 22 yrs and on Several ships, was a gunnersmate in charge of the Armory, no one, took side arms home. The quarterdeck watch was issued a side arm and it was checked in and out again every 24 hrs. The only time long guns were issued were for security alerts and small arms training and we inventoried all the small arms every day.

That's how we did it in the Army...But SGT. checked out his weapon everyday and played with it...

Gunnery Sgt dumb ass. That would be SFC in the Army.

Well now a gunny sgt. only dumb asses make it to E-7 after 16 years..

I call BS

That's how we did it in the Army...But SGT. checked out his weapon everyday and played with it...
The Marines had there own Armory and therefore had different rules than us squids. I believe Gunny is right about being able to check out his weapon when he wanted to.

I call BS

The Marines had there own Armory and therefore had different rules than us squids. I believe Gunny is right about being able to check out his weapon when he wanted to.

That is what I told him, but as usual the alcohol inhibits civility..

She brandished a firearm and threatened the staff enough to close the base for an hour. There were probably ten or twenty violations of the UCMJ. Why on earth would the C.O. try to defend her actions?

She brandished a firearm and threatened the staff enough to close the base for an hour. There were probably ten or twenty violations of the UCMJ. Why on earth would the C.O. try to defend her actions?
i'm going to go out on a limb here and say because the base commander is sorry that they didn't recognize she was in trouble before the incident occurred. you know, compassion and care for a fellow soldier, and disappointment in the idea of letting them down (even if realistically there was nothing anyone could have done)

i'm going to go out on a limb here and say because the base commander is sorry that they didn't recognize she was in trouble before the incident occurred. you know, compassion and care for a fellow soldier, and disappointment in the idea of letting them down (even if realistically there was nothing anyone could have done)

Maybe it is assumed that the Army has the duty to "recognize" that an NCO was "in trouble" and maybe not. In the real world it is the duty of the C.O. to enforce the UCMJ and not to make excuses for criminal behavior.

Maybe it is assumed that the Army has the duty to "recognize" that an NCO was "in trouble" and maybe not. In the real world it is the duty of the C.O. to enforce the UCMJ and not to make excuses for criminal behavior.
it's not assumed. it's a fact. there will be an investigation, and her entire chain of command will have to report on what signs, if any, they missed.

also, this is the base commander. i do not think it is appropriate to call him the CO, since he may not have been in her chain of command at all.

it's not assumed. it's a fact. there will be an investigation, and her entire chain of command will have to report on what signs, if any, they missed.

also, this is the base commander. i do not think it is appropriate to call him the CO, since he may not have been in her chain of command at all.

Is the responsibility network of the Army so convoluted that the Base Commander can say he is not in her "chain of command"? He is the last link in the chain of command.

SFC Paula Marie Walker entered the CASCOM Headquarters and wanted to speak with an individual (allegedely) with whom she was having an affair. The high ranking individual was not there and she believed the people she was speaking with were lying to her. She then brought out the personal weapon, small calibre handgun.
The 'rampage' was SFC Walker trying to convince people who knew her that she was serious. SFC Walker is about 5' tall and in the past generally had a positive, upbeat attitude. To see her demanding to see the high ranking senior NCO and brandishing a weapon was extremely out of character. So she started throwing things in the conference room and breaking them.
Almost everyone evacuated the building, the post was on lock-down, CID/MPs/Lee Police came and FBI showed up as well.
The problem -- the (alleged) affair with a very senior NCO and promises made (like an assignment and/or other personal quid pro quo) and the deal fell through over the weekend. Yes, she had deployed to Iraq for 15 months. No, it was not PTSD related.
he was a single parent of a 8 year old daughter. SFC Walker had been a Sexual Harassment and Rape Prevention (SHARP) NCO and should have known not to get involved with a senior NCO. The tragedy is that she committed suicide.
The contributing factors are that while the Army 'officially' doesn't condone this activity, the command is contaminated with sexual indiscretions from BG Cross getting a secretary pregnant, to SGMs patting 1SGs on the fanny, to instructors having sex with students. If the Army is really serious, court-martial a couple of people. Don't allow them to retire. Send them to the Castle at Leavenworth Disciplinary Barracks. Announce the punishment in formations to let Soldiers and leaders know that this activity will not be tolerated.
I am truly sorry for SFC Walker's daughter and the twin brother who will probably take care of the daughter. I am not surprised that people have put a spin on the story. It was not about gun control or PTSD. It was about sex in the work place and believing the lies that got you there. She truly believed she had no where else to turn. Who would believe her? Not even the people in the office area believed it while it was happening.

New Topics

Forum List

Back