Federal judges side with mechanic suing Huntsville, AL: ‘The public is free to ignore’ police questions

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Three federal judges sided with a mechanic suing Huntsville officers for false arrest, writing in an opinion this week that Alabamians do not have to show identification when asked by the police.

Roland Edger sued the city and two Huntsville officers, alleging they wrongly arrested him outside a church four years ago as he attempted to repair a customer’s car. Body camera video shows the officers arresting Edger as he, at first, declined to show them his driver’s license.

“So to summarize, it has been clearly established for decades prior to Mr. Edger’s arrest that the police are free to ask questions, and the public is free to ignore them,” a three-judge panel for the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals said in a unanimous opinion issued this week.

Judge Charles R. Wilson, writing for the panel, said that Edger had not committed any crime, therefore police had no basis for arresting him. The judges also noted that Edger was not driving at the time and therefore was not required to show his license.

“Further, neither the parties nor our own research can identify any Alabama law that generally requires the public to carry physical identification — much less an Alabama law requiring them to produce it upon demand of a police officer,” Judge Wilson wrote. “There simply is no state law foundation for Officer McCabe’s demand that Mr. Edger produce physical identification.”

Edger’s lawsuit can go forward against Huntsville Officers Krista McCabe and Cameron Perillat, the judges ruled. The judges found that the officers are not entitled to qualified immunity — a legal doctrine that shields public officials from lawsuits when they are performing official duties — because they went beyond the bounds of the law when arresting Edger.

I've noticed that the new hotness in police interactions is for them to charge people with "obstruction" when they don't want to answer their questions or don't tell the truth. Never mind that the whole point of obstruction laws was for physically obstructing/impeding an officer.

Freedom is scary.

Three federal judges sided with a mechanic suing Huntsville officers for false arrest, writing in an opinion this week that Alabamians do not have to show identification when asked by the police.

Roland Edger sued the city and two Huntsville officers, alleging they wrongly arrested him outside a church four years ago as he attempted to repair a customer’s car. Body camera video shows the officers arresting Edger as he, at first, declined to show them his driver’s license.

“So to summarize, it has been clearly established for decades prior to Mr. Edger’s arrest that the police are free to ask questions, and the public is free to ignore them,” a three-judge panel for the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals said in a unanimous opinion issued this week.

Judge Charles R. Wilson, writing for the panel, said that Edger had not committed any crime, therefore police had no basis for arresting him. The judges also noted that Edger was not driving at the time and therefore was not required to show his license.

“Further, neither the parties nor our own research can identify any Alabama law that generally requires the public to carry physical identification — much less an Alabama law requiring them to produce it upon demand of a police officer,” Judge Wilson wrote. “There simply is no state law foundation for Officer McCabe’s demand that Mr. Edger produce physical identification.”

Edger’s lawsuit can go forward against Huntsville Officers Krista McCabe and Cameron Perillat, the judges ruled. The judges found that the officers are not entitled to qualified immunity — a legal doctrine that shields public officials from lawsuits when they are performing official duties — because they went beyond the bounds of the law when arresting Edger.

I've noticed that the new hotness in police interactions is for them to charge people with "obstruction" when they don't want to answer their questions or don't tell the truth. Never mind that the whole point of obstruction laws was for physically obstructing/impeding an officer.

Freedom is scary.

cops are getting to authoritarian and thinking they make the laws and can treat people any way they want to,,

makes it really hard to not cheer when one gets shot in the back of the head while sitting in their car,,

You have a right to remain silent

I learned that watching Adam 12 as a kid

cops are getting to authoritarian and thinking they make the laws and can treat people any way they want to,,

makes it really hard to not cheer when one gets shot in the back of the head while sitting in their car,,
Damn, that's a real dick statement.....I'm sure the hood rats and other assorted low-life scum would agree with you.

That said cops need to be properly trained as to the laws of their jurisdictions that they are sent out to enforce.

Damn, that's a real dick statement.....I'm sure the hood rats and other assorted low-life scum would agree with you.

That said cops need to be properly trained as to the laws of their jurisdictions that they are sent out to enforce.
not when youve seen the kind of police violence against innocent people I have,,,

I want both good and bad cops to hear that in hopes they get a clue as to what they are doing to the people,,,

The Cops had no right to demand an ID

The guy isn’t even black

Freedom is scary.

Cops need to be reminded that their job is to protect and serve the public, not harass them.

Anyone cheering the cowardly act of shooting someone in the back of the head seriously has some fucking sociopathic issues.

JS

Oh please go on and regale us all of your vast experiences and let's see if they measure-up to cops being executed....Come on, spit it out.
when did I say my experiences???

we need cops desperately,, what we dont need is cops that think they can make shit up as the go along and abuse women and children,, or worse murder people that they admit dont know what they were going to do,,,

if those cops are executed I wont lose any sleep over it,,,
Anyone cheering the cowardly act of shooting someone in the back of the head seriously has some fucking sociopathic issues.

JS
I wouldnt cheer for it to happen,, but wont lose sleep over it and find it understandable,,,

I said "what I've seen" not what I experienced,,, dummass,,,
not when youve seen the kind of police violence against innocent people I have,,,

OK then you "saw something"....What did you see?

The worst thing I saw on TV was the execution of Ashli Babbitt but even then I don't think all cops should be executed on the street for the actions of some BLM supporting fed cop.

OK then you "saw something"....What did you see?

The worst thing I saw on TV was the execution of Ashli Babbitt but even then I don't think all cops should be executed on the street for the actions of some BLM supporting fed cop.
the list is so long the best I can do is point you to youtube under law enforcement or 1st A auditors,,

did I say anything about BLM or any of the the other radical groups???

no I didnt

I was specific about innocent people..
and the statement about a cop shooting someone because they didnt know what the person was going to do was on this forum a few weeks ago where a cop shot an unarmed person for no reason other than he didnt know what they were going to do,,,

I could bring up the 70 yr old 90 lb lady with dementia two cops threw on the ground and broke her arm along with other injuries,, later to be seen laughing about it,,

Forum List

Back