Federal Anti-Bullying Law

If you want to stop bullying, don't punish anyone. You befriend the bullies and teach them by EXAMPLE how to treat people.

That bill is the stupidest piece of crap I've ever seen. It's all about PERCEPTION. People can perceive they're being bullied when actually they're not.

Bullying has always been around, it was around when I was in school in the 60's and 70's. It never was done around teachers or adults and the prevailing attitude among kids back then was you did not snitch on anyone. So there was always more of it around than thought. The bullies had their camp followers too. Today this has evolved into, I believe, a gangster thing. I do not think it can be eliminated, controlled to a certain extent maybe, but the federal government has no business making laws about bullying. And here is the thing about any bullying legislation or rules. Do you have to have witnesses to back the kid’s story up. It is a very slippery slope. And another thing is some parents do not care what their child does. Look at all the expulsions happening today.

I can't say I agree, zzzz. I don't recall any campaign of threats or harrassment against anyone when I was growing up. Just the usual insults and crap....but the sort of thing that happened to Phoebe Prince, where 6 or 7 students hassle one kid day and night for months? No...that I don't recall. And as far as I know, it didn't happen in my kidlet's school days, either.

I think the internet and techy devices have created the illusion that some bad behavior will be anonymous and go unpunished, and this problem has flared because of it.

There have always been bullies, Madeline. You probably didn't notice it either because you were one, or because you just don't have that degree of awareness.

If you want to stop bullying, don't punish anyone. You befriend the bullies and teach them by EXAMPLE how to treat people.

That bill is the stupidest piece of crap I've ever seen. It's all about PERCEPTION. People can perceive they're being bullied when actually they're not.

Sorry but i have to disagree. Second offender bullies should be EXPELLED and the parents have to home school.

Parents of children who have been bullied should sue the hell out of bullies parents. parents should take out restraining orders on bullies and if they violet it DEMAND that that kid serve time in juvenile.

Both parents and the bully children need to be punished.

There have always been bullies, Madeline. You probably didn't notice it either because you were one, or because you just don't have that degree of awareness.

Agreed. There have always been bulies because no one ever does anything about it.

You know, its a phase they will grow out of it.
or they really didn't mean it
or just stay out of their way
or don't use that bathroom use a different one
or they didn't know they were hurting you
or they didn't know they hurt you feelings

or or or or.... fuck that shit. Little bullies grow up to be big bullies.

I don't know why they need all those criteria. Kids can get bullied just for being nerdy weaklings, regardless of race, gender-preference, etc. A girl can be harassed by other girls because she's pretty and dating a popular ex-boyfriend of one of the group. That's what happened to that Irish girl in Massachusetts, who killed herself.

They should define harassment and bullying, and enforce rules against it. Basically, if the schools enforced the law, and brought criminal charges against young people who violate the law, then it would take care of a lot of these problems. If it's illegal for adults to threaten, harass, stalk, or punch someone in the nose, then it's also illegal for minors.

Agreed. There have always been bulies because no one ever does anything about it.

You know, its a phase they will grow out of it.
or they really didn't mean it
or just stay out of their way
or don't use that bathroom use a different one
or they didn't know they were hurting you
or they didn't know they hurt you feelings

or or or or.... fuck that shit. Little bullies grow up to be big bullies.

Workplace bullying is a big problem in some places. Bullies often continue their tactics as adults.

I don't know why they need all those criteria. Kids can get bullied just for being nerdy weaklings, regardless of race, gender-preference, etc. A girl can be harassed by other girls because she's pretty and dating a popular ex-boyfriend of one of the group. That's what happened to that Irish girl in Massachusetts, who killed herself.

They should define harassment and bullying, and enforce rules against it. Basically, if the schools enforced the law, and brought criminal charges against young people who violate the law, then it would take care of a lot of these problems. If it's illegal for adults to threaten, harass, stalk, or punch someone in the nose, then it's also illegal for minors.

Bingo!

My point exactly. Turn the bullies over to the cops and file charges.

I am cheered to see that many of our Friends From the Right are on this thread not arguing that "all a child needs to do is bust the bully in the nose one time and his troubles will be over" but, rather, are recognizing bullying for what it is and rationally discussing ways to deal with it. Kudos!

Bullying is a terrible, terrible thing. Perhaps a federal law is not the best way to go, but we sure as hell have to have SOMETHING in place to deal with it. Ignoring it and/or considering it "just a necessary part of growing up," doesn't make it.

I am cheered to see that many of our Friends From the Right are on this thread not arguing that "all a child needs to do is bust the bully in the nose one time and his troubles will be over" but, rather, are recognizing bullying for what it is and rationally discussing ways to deal with it. Kudos!

Bullying is a terrible, terrible thing. Perhaps a federal law is not the best way to go, but we sure as hell have to have SOMETHING in place to deal with it. Ignoring it and/or considering it "just a necessary part of growing up," doesn't make it.

Then again a good beating by some BIGGER bullies is just what the little brats need.

:lol:

We already have a bullying law here in NJ. I think its effective, but as a teacher, I can attest that most of the harassment goes on when adults are not present.

Different situations need different solutions. The feds need to focus on national issues; not playground squabbles. This will just open up more lawsuits if everybody's i's are not dotted. If a local case has merit, there are already legal avenues to pursue.

I agree. This is definitely one of those issues the federal government should have no say in. They need to butt out and leave it to the local and state authorities.

Then again a good beating by some BIGGER bullies is just what the little brats need.

Perhaps. But trying to teach those who deal in violence that violence is bad, by punishing them with violence, seems counter productive.

Perhaps. But trying to teach those who deal in violence that violence is bad, by punishing them with violence, seems counter productive.

who said anything about telling them it was punishment. Im just talking a good old fashioned thumping. :lol:

That being said...i am more for suing the shit out of the parents and having the little offenders thrown in jail.

The problem i see with this bill is not whether it can be effective, but rather if it is necessary. Bullying is an issue that is not meant to be dealt with by the federal government. A Federal law would simply create an array of hoops and hurdles that teachers needed to go through in order to stop bullying. They would need to teach new lessons and follow a set of procedures created by a government that knows not of the specific issues occurring in class rooms throughout the nation. This would only make it more difficult to stop bullying. Besides, controlling bullying is already at the top of many school's agendas and it is not the job of the federal government to instruct them how to do just that.

Couldn't agree more.

People can perceive they're being bullied when actually they're not.

Couldn't agree less.

What are you saying here - that, oftentimes, people are joking when they appear to be bullying someone else? I think not. There is an old saying: even a dog knows the difference between being stumbled over and being kicked.

The Fed should stay out of it, it's not their job. If bullying is a problem in schools, the school should handle it. If it's a problem and the schools are not handling it, the parents need to see that they do. Teaching about being gay via a Fed law? No. Teach the kids 'the golden rule' . . that applies to everyone. The kids should be learning this from home, sad that many aren't.

Don't forget, folks. If you object to this bill, let your representatives know. The necessary contact information should be available in the link in the Op.

There is a huge difference between teaching children acceptance of others, (Note: I didn't say 'tolerance'... I dislike the word).... and 'advancing a gay agenda'.

Unless that " acceptance of others " includes the mandate that you cannot express your beliefs or opinions that the gay lifestyle is wrong or immoral. It seems that they can expose their gayness in an "in your face" way, and a person who expresses offense is being a bully. That is what the law will, do. I believe that is the intention. of the law. If it were not, the law would not have been so wordy.

Last edited:
My objection to the bill would not be its intent, but I feel like the Federal government does a poor job when they try to micromanage things like this. They add expensive layers of bureaucracy and red tape, requiring lots of documentation.

I feel that the States should handle this. They know their districts better, this nation is very diverse, with different types of problems in different districts. Generally, I think the Feds should get the hell out of K-12 education and leave it to the States.

Forum List

Back