Favoring party over country

You are so off base that you do not deserve a detailed response. Way to take what I said completely out of the context of the thread as I named the SPECIFIC things I had an issue with.

OK...let's take a SPECIFIC thing you have an issue with.

'not suspending the jones act to clean up the oil'... THAT is a right wing LIE perpetrated by Faux Snooze for party over country. It is total bullshit.

Ok show me where he did suspend it and show me that he didn't stop european vessels from coming to help first 2 months of the spill. If you can then I will take back that specific part of my statement.

I know you can't becuase he didn't suspend the jones act, even though bush did for katrina (a few weeks late but he did it), and he stopped them from sending us helpful ships.

Oil Spill, Foreign Help and the Jones Act | FactCheck.org

In reality, the Jones Act has yet to be an issue in the response efforts. The Deepwater Horizon response team reported in a June 15 press release that there are 15 foreign flagged ships currently participating in the oil spill cleanup. None of them needed a waiver because the Jones Act does not apply. The Jones Act is a trade and commerce law that was enacted in 1920 as part of a larger Marine Merchant Act. It requires all trade delivered between U.S. ports to be carried in U.S. flagged vessels constructed in the United States and owned by American citizens. The law states its purpose is to develop a merchant marine for national defense and commerce.

Why was the Jones Act waived as part of the Hurricane Katrina response, and why hasn’t it been waived now? Katrina inflicted massive infrastructure damage, which restricted the availability of key resources. According to the Deepwater Horizon response team: "A Jones Act waiver was granted during Hurricane Katrina due to the significant disruption in the production and transportation of petroleum and/or refined petroleum products in the region during that emergency and the impact this had on national defense." The Deepwater Horizon spill has yet to affect infrastructure or oil and gas availability; the damage is environmental, and foreign vessels are approved for delivering resources and conducting offshore skimming. Although the Jones Act is currently not applicable, the federal government has taken steps to expedite the waiver process should the oil spill response require a Jones Act waiver for trade and commerce.

Also, contrary to reports such as the one on "Fox & Friends," international assistance has been accepted. To date, 25 countries and four international organizations have offered support in the form of skimming vessels, containment and fire boom, technical assistance and response solutions, among others. A chart provided by the State Department shows that as of June 23 offers from six foreign countries or entities had been accepted. Fifty more offers were under consideration — including multiple offers from a single country or entity. One offer had been declined: France offered a chemical dispersant that is not approved for use in the United States.
----------------------------------------------------

Also, I am more than willing to take on your views on your other 'issues'...

I often wonder about this when it comes to administrations that are particularly polarizing. This one and the last one especially.

It seems to me that opponents of Obama desperately want to see him fail, to have our country fall deeper into recession/depression, and lose ground in the middle east (the higher the US military death toll the better), all for the sake of acquiring political advantage entering into the next election cycle. And conversely, I saw the exact same sentiment spewing from the other side of the aisle during the Bush administration.

As much as this disgusts me, sentiment is one thing, actively trying to make it happen is another. So please consider and discuss the following:

1. Do you think that people in positions of real influence do indeed, actively try to sabotage and undermine the efforts of the current administration to the detriment of all Americans purely for political purposes?

and if so...

2. Who are they and what specifically do you think they do in their efforts to sabotage?

:eusa_think:

i don't think there are many opponents who want the country to fail just for political advantage. i do believe there are those (myself included) that want to see obama's bad policies fail, in that, the failure will be good for america.

if a sniper was taking out people, you would want him to fail. same with obama, i want him to fail if failing means our country is better off.

Forum List

Back