Father of murdered US ambassador to Romney: Leave my kid alone

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Shutter_Label, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Shutter_Label

Shutter_Label Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Father of murdered US ambassador to Romney: Leave my kid alone

The father of slain US ambassador to Libya, Christophers, is calling for politicians to stop making the death of his son into a campaign issue.
    And there’s only one campaign, and one political party, that’s been treating the murder of our ambassador as an “opportunity,” and that’s Mitt Romney and the Republicans.
    First, the father:

The father of Christopher Stevens, the U.S. ambassador to Libya who was killed in the attack in Benghazi last month, said his son’s death shouldn’t be politicized in the presidential campaign.

“It would really be abhorrent to make this into a campaign issue,” Jan Stevens, 77, said in a telephone interview from his home in Loomis, California, as he prepares for a memorial service for his son next week.

In an earlier post, I walked you through exactly how the Romney campaign, and Republicans overall, have been politicizing Stevens’ death.

Here’s the link:

Romney and the GOP need to stop politicizing the deaths in Libya

1. It was the Romney campaign that told AP that they saw the death of the US ambassador as an “opportunity.”

2. It was Mitt Romney himself who said on the infamous 47% tape that he would keep his eye out for another “opportunity” like the Iran hostage crisis, that he could milk to his electoral advantage.

3. It was Mitt Romney himself, who embarrassingly, in his best Al “I’m in charge” Haig, had the audacity to issue a statement blasting the administration in the middle of the Libya crisis, before we even knew who was killed, or how many. As you’ll recall, Romney was roundly criticized for politicizing the death of the US ambassador and others through his statement and poorly-timed press conference, and he was even criticized by Republicans.
    To show you just how cavalier Romney was about the deaths, note how, purely by chance I’m sure, Romney’s backdrop for his press conference, below left, looked a lot like the White House briefing room, below right. Blue background, the flag, the podium, the dais. The setting was clearly meant to evoke the White House Briefing Room, and thus use Romney’s speech as an – let’s say it all together now – “opportunity” to make Romney look “presidential.”

4. It was Mitt Romney who was blasted yesterday by the mother of one of the victims in Libya, an American Navy SEAL, for politicizing the death of her son.

5. And then yesterday, the House Republicans, led by GOP Reps. Issa and Chaffetz, again politicized the deaths in Libya by holding a partisan hearing in order to embarrass the Obama administration, and as a result Issa and Chaffetz compromised national security by exposing the existence of a classified CIA base at the site of the attack in Benghazi, Libya, potentially putting even more lives at risk.

Then, last week we had a Republican group in Florida use a photo of Ambassador Stevens’ limp corpse in a despicable campaign ad.

Florida GOP group uses ambassador's dead body in anti-Obama ad

And now we have the father of a US ambassador, the second family member of someone killed in this tragedy, calling on the Republicans to stop treating the murder of American government officials as an “opportunity” to score political points.

Mitt Romney said he’d keep his eyes open for another “opportunity” where American lives are in danger. And he’s found it.

2. RoadVirus

RoadVirus <insert pithy title here>

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +583
    With all due respect Sir, your son's death could've been prevented. If it were me, i would be royally pissed and demand an explanation.

3. deaddogseye

deaddogseye Carpe Ukraine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +137
    while i can be sympathetic to how he feels (I guess, for all i know he is motivated by some desire to help obama politically by saying this - but assuming he isnt) the fact is this is a political issue and a consequence of the fact that his son chose a life in what is really - well - politics. So he can say this and people can respect him for it but he has no right to ask that debate on this be stiffled. Victims families simply dont have the right to stiffle debate on these things.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    His son's death is not a campaign issue. The circumstances that led to his son's death and the cover up that followed are issues that concern us all, not just him.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Meister

Meister VIP Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,100
    The issue isn't the "kid", the issue is the failure of an administration to properly administrate which resulted in 4 deaths.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    Did the DNC demand Nixon's resignation because of the Watergate scandal? No. This was a simple B&E that went wrong. Did Nixon plan, assist or facilitate the break in? No. He didn't even know about it. Was this minor crime even worth the interest of the American People? No. It impacted no one. No one was hurt. It was simply a bungled burglary.

What did Nixon know, and when did he know it because the slogan of the cover up. When Nixon said "The American People have a right to know their president is not a crook" he wasn't referring to the break in. Everyone knew he had no involvement. It was at what point did he know. What did he do about it when he knew and did he actively work to conceal the crime. We have a right to know that obama is not a crook. That right to know has nothing to do with the death of the Ambassador.

7. Inthemiddle

Inthemiddle BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +674
    In other words, his son's death is a campaign issue to be exploited.

8. clevergirl

clevergirl Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +563
    No its a tragedy that highlights the incompetence and failure of this current presidents foreign policy. As such, it is no mere "campaign issue". Chris Stephens was an American Ambassador serving in the public eye.

It not only ought to be a campaign issue- It needs to be an issue that motivates a thorough investigation into this presidents failures that led up to it.

9. deaddogseye

deaddogseye Carpe Ukraine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +137
    YES!!!!

Hey Obama -- that wasnt a bump in the road. That was the grave of 4 americans who were killed because your administration ignored their pleas for security while you were appearing on The View and going to Hollywood fundraisers. Like that.

10. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,992
    I hope Romney brings it up as if he could or would have done things differently. It's going to backfire on his nasty unlikable ass.