Fat Employee In Brazil Sues McDonald's And Wins

I think that the dude was blaming middle aged spread on the company he worked for.

He put on like 75 lbs, Radio. That's not spread....that's an eight year old.

65lbs, in 12 years.

Thats less than 5-1/2lbs per year.

Thats middle aged spread.

Good grief, you have VERY wide latitude for fat dudes, Radio! I'd say most people should weigh 20 to 40 lbs more at 60 than they did at 20....a weight gain of only 1 lb a year.

He put on like 75 lbs, Radio. That's not spread....that's an eight year old.

65lbs, in 12 years.

Good grief, you have VERY wide latitude for fat dudes, Radio! I'd say most people should weigh 20 to 40 lbs more at 60 than they did at 20....a weight gain of only 1 lb a year.

I'd say, on average, you have some unrealistic expectations.

McDonald's has no responsibility at all here, Willow?

Only if you agree with them firing each employee who gains 5 pounds. Do you?

I dun know what I think, as yet. The man in the Op claimed that, as a manager, he felt compelled to taste the food to keep it satisfactory in quality. Assume that's true, and instead he was a chef on a cruise ship. Not as bad a diet, but almost. Is his employer responsible then? He has to eat to do his job....does that matter?

If he thought the job was causing his weight gain what kept him from submitting his letter of resignation? Nope he's a fricking opportunistic leech. He wants something for nothing.

Only if you agree with them firing each employee who gains 5 pounds. Do you?

I dun know what I think, as yet. The man in the Op claimed that, as a manager, he felt compelled to taste the food to keep it satisfactory in quality. Assume that's true, and instead he was a chef on a cruise ship. Not as bad a diet, but almost. Is his employer responsible then? He has to eat to do his job....does that matter?

If he thought the job was causing his weight gain what kept him from submitting his letter of resignation? Nope he's a fricking opportunistic leech. He wants something for nothing.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but what if every McDonald's employee gained weight and many/most became obese? Is McDonald's entitled to afflict its store employees with a lifetime of health problems just to make a profit? We wouldn't tolerate a coal mining company doing the same thing.

Yanno, Willow, it is no coincidence there is an epidemic of fatties in the US at the same time as fast food has become prevalent (and much more deadly). You and I can recall the time in the US when the closet thing to fast food was a drive in restaurant and people ate there maybe once a week.

If a product when used as suggested causes harm, shouldn't the manufacturer be liable?

65lbs, in 12 years.

I'd say, on average, you have some unrealistic expectations.

I guess...what do you think is reasonable? It cannot be 75 lbs, Radio.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but what if every McDonald's employee gained weight and many/most became obese? Is McDonald's entitled to afflict its store employees with a lifetime of health problems just to make a profit? We wouldn't tolerate a coal mining company doing the same thing.

Yanno, Willow, it is no coincidence there is an epidemic of fatties in the US at the same time as fast food has become prevalent (and much more deadly). You and I can recall the time in the US when the closet thing to fast food was a drive in restaurant and people ate there maybe once a week.

If a product when used as suggested causes harm, shouldn't the manufacturer be liable?

Anybody who chooses to eat at McDonald's is a damn fool. And anybody who works there and starts gaining weight has a decision to make.

Anybody who chooses to eat at McDonald's is a damn fool. And anybody who works there and starts gaining weight has a decision to make.

When there are likely no other jobs?

Yanno, the asbestos products only afflicted those workers who smoked. The particles were small, but in a non-smoker the tiny hairs (cilia) lining the nose and respiratory tract expelled them. What sunk the asbestos guys in court was, they knew for years about the risks and did not warn their employees...and that mesothelioma is a gruesome, deadly disease.

You can bet your bottom dollar, McDonald's knows each time they introduce a new food product how much weight gain it is likely to cause their employees and customers, by age, race, sex, income level, etc. Obesity is arguably as deadly as mesothelioma -- it just takes longer to kill.

Yanno, the asbestos products only afflicted those workers who smoked. The particles were small, but in a non-smoker the tiny hairs (cilia) lining the nose and respiratory tract expelled them. What sunk the asbestos guys in court was, they knew for years about the risks and did not warn their employees...and that mesothelioma is a gruesome, deadly disease.

You can bet your bottom dollar, McDonald's knows each time they introduce a new food product how much weight gain it is likely to cause their employees and customers, by age, race, sex, income level, etc. Obesity is arguably as deadly as mesothelioma -- it just takes longer to kill.

stupid damn comparison. Each and every human has the capacity to put that food in his or her mouth or no. So you recommend that all resturaunts close their doors? Cause all food has to potential to make you fat. Let's sue the farmers and the grocers while we're at it. And the beef, and pig farmers too.

stupid damn comparison. Each and every human has the capacity to put that food in his or her mouth or no. So you recommend that all resturaunts close their doors? Cause all food has to potential to make you fat. Let's sue the farmers and the grocers while we're at it. And the beef, and pig farmers too.

People did not have to smoke. They did not have to work for asbestos products manufacturers, ship builders, pipe fitters, etc. It seems to me you lay all responsibility on the worker, regardless of the manufacturer's ability to make a safer product.

Why not demand McDonald's sell healthier food?

Are there any workplace safety laws you think are reasonable, Willow?

I don't believe in "middle-aged" spread--I'm 62 and 110 lb. On the other hand, I don't work at McDonald's

When you think about it though, this would be the same in the food industry in general, unless you worked in a vegetarian/vegan establishment. If a person knows he is consuming more calories because of his job, isn't there a certain amount of personal responsibility to up your exercise regime to work off the calories? If you were a chef, that should be a given if a person is concerned about maintaining a healthy weight. I would bet that McD's could appeal this and probably win.

I don't believe in "middle-aged" spread--I'm 62 and 110 lb. On the other hand, I don't work at McDonald's

When you think about it though, this would be the same in the food industry in general, unless you worked in a vegetarian/vegan establishment. If a person knows he is consuming more calories because of his job, isn't there a certain amount of personal responsibility to up your exercise regime to work off the calories? If you were a chef, that should be a given if a person is concerned about maintaining a healthy weight. I would bet that McD's could appeal this and probably win.

So you feel that McDonald's can require their employees to eat their food and avoid liability for damage to their health just by posting a nutrition chart?

P.S. 110! Good on you, miss!

People did not have to smoke. They did not have to work for asbestos products manufacturers, ship builders, pipe fitters, etc. It seems to me you lay all responsibility on the worker, regardless of the manufacturer's ability to make a safer product.

Why not demand McDonald's sell healthier food?

Are there any workplace safety laws you think are reasonable, Willow?

The grocery stores are lined with healthy foods. let's sue them for selling unhealthy food to fat people why don't we?

The clothing industry would go broke if people stopped gaining weight.
The weight loss industry is around a billion dollar industry in the USA. Maybe more.

People eating and living healthier would further wreck our economy.

Last edited:

Now here's a woman who knows how to think.

So you feel that McDonald's can require their employees to eat their food and avoid liability for damage to their health just by posting a nutrition chart?

Do they require them to eat their food, or just offer a free meal during their workday? If you work for them they do have lower calorie foods, like salads, chicken, etc. You don't have to have a burger and fries every day. I think when you're talking about adults, each person has to take responsibility for his own weight and health and not blame it on others. This would be a hazard in any food service job, but the weight doesn't just sneak up on a person--this guy should have known at 10 or 15 lbs over, that he had to take some action to get back in shape.

As far as marketing to children, I do think they could do better.

Do they require them to eat their food, or just offer a free meal during their workday? If you work for them they do have lower calorie foods, like salads, chicken, etc. You don't have to have a burger and fries every day. I think when you're talking about adults, each person has to take responsibility for his own weight and health and not blame it on others. This would be a hazard in any food service job, but the weight doesn't just sneak up on a person--this guy should have known at 10 or 15 lbs over, that he had to take some action to get back in shape.

Yes, but you know what? The parents aren't forced to take their children there. Not at all.

Parents and children are well programmed.
If McDonalds stopped their advertising what would happen to their sales?

I guess it all depends on what end of the lense you have hold of, judyd. In 1960, I daresay childhood obesity was unheard-of and adult obesity was rare. In 2010, every third or even second person is obese -- children and adults.

U.S. obesity peak may be years away - UPI.com

I think Willow will agree...the major shift in US eating habits during this period has been fast food. When do we stop calling this "food" and start calling it "bad food" or even "poison"?

I guess it all depends on what end of the lense you have hold of, judyd. In 1960, I daresay childhood obesity was unheard-of and adult obesity was rare. In 2010, every third or even second person is obese -- children and adults.

I think Willow will agree...the major shift in US eating habits during this period has been fast food. When do we stop calling this "food" and start calling it "bad food" or even "poison"?
We could always get hamburgers and fries at the soda fountains, even though McDonalds wasn't around until the mid-60's in the DC area. The reason there weren't so many fat children in those days was because we had about 4 or 5 tv stations, and the programs weren't that great, no computers or video games and we walked everywhere or rode our bikes. These days it isn't even safe to let your children out of your sight--even in the front yard--so they're not getting the exercise that we took for granted. We didn't have the gyms and exercise equipment--it was just normal living. Now, just for safety reasons, people have to enroll their child in a formal swimming, skating, hockey, or little league program, and arrange to get them there.

WE? You have a mouse in your pocket. I haven't eaten in a McDonald's in years and years and years. Again. I see fat people in the grocery store making poor choicess You gonna sue the grocery stores too?

Forum List

Back